Spirit Level - a side project

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
rayc

Spirit Level - a side project

Post by rayc »

This is a little side project I was invited to participate in via the BIAB User Showcase forum.
BIAB provides drums n organ on this one.
The singer and the guitarist are Canadian and occasionally collaborate on slightly psych stuff. They seemed to find BIAB bass a bit limiting so that was when/why they asked me to add some of my bass to a few of their songs.
This track is a three way collab. I came up with a draft progression and lyrics then the other chaps amended those as well as adding melody to make a song .
I played the rhythm guitars, bass, Mel9 and Mellotron samples.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjIUYy ... HyeBX6EdS0[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Spirit Level - a side project

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:13 pm This is a little side project I was invited to participate in via the BIAB User Showcase forum.
BIAB provides drums n organ on this one.
The singer and the guitarist are Canadian and occasionally collaborate on slightly psych stuff. They seemed to find BIAB bass a bit limiting so that was when/why they asked me to add some of my bass to a few of their songs.
This track is a three way collab. I came up with a draft progression and lyrics then the other chaps amended those as well as adding melody to make a song .
I played the rhythm guitars, bass, Mel9 and Mellotron samples.

[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NjIUYy ... HyeBX6EdS0[/BBvideo]
good stuff guys. Is he singing in half french and English in places? I assume this is pretty much got a fork in it but i find there is something really funky going on with the main vocal treatment. It's like it's popping in and out and all over the places? Like maybe some weird compression artifact or gating thing or something? Anyone else hear that? O kmaybe not ll overthe place but definitely in the first verse, It seemed to go away after halfway through?

the BIAB drums sound pretty good. All good sounds to my ears over here.

Oh yea! ....

:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Interesting video effects!
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 pm Is he singing in half French and English in places? ... is something really funky going on with the main vocal treatment. It's like it's popping in and out and all over the places? Like maybe some weird compression artefact or gating thing or something? Anyone else hear that?
Shan,
Yes, the vocal is uneven.
I gather it was put through Waves Vocal Rider as well as other things...it may be mic technique but I do hear what you're hearing.
It's all English, perhaps it ought to cover two of the three official Canadian languages, but I think that impression is tied to the in n out.
I wrote the original lyric but did have to get Robert to amend the text as sung because I wasn't 100% sure of what I was hearing in some spots.
Singer is from Vancouver & the lead player from Alberta.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:57 pm Interesting video effects!
Ta,
pretty simple Green Screen stuff really in a freebie version of fairly simple software.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is it "broken rhythm" or "broken rhyme"? The YT title is the former, but the in-video title says the latter.

I like the jumping/glitching of the video on the vocalist
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:54 am Is it "broken rhythm" or "broken rhyme"? The YT title is the former, but the in-video title says the latter.

I like the jumping/glitching of the video on the vocalist
Originally it was neither...but the singer was enamoured of Broken Rhyme. Must be some passive aggressive resistance when I type.
The glitchy vocal vid came to me like that so I decided to run with it.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

I like the video [mention]rayc[/mention], the vocal is kinda weird, but not bad. Song has a wandering feel to it, so it kinda fits.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I'm not a fan of that singer at all. The rest is pretty good though.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

[mention]musicturtle[/mention] & [mention]Greg_L[/mention] ,
Yes,
the singer, Robert Cordrey, has a very "mannered", personalized, style but sounds much freer on this than on his own songs.
Cheers
rayc