IDEE FIXX Pygmy Beat Extended

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
rayc

IDEE FIXX Pygmy Beat Extended

Post by rayc »

[BBvideo=560,315]https://youtu.be/XWE4tCH1IEI [/BBvideo]
Experimenting with Green Screen using an actual Green Screen...hmm, the cheapo kit I bought has four different coloured fabric "grounds", (Green, Black, Grey & White) as well as 2 x 2m stands and cross bar for AUS$80.
I'll try another colour next time. It may be that the program I'm using isn't tweak-able enough.
No matter, another vehicle for a song done.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Re: IDEE FIXX Pygmy Beat Extended

Post by Armistice »

Black screen with reasonably dim lighting might work OK - only time I've done that sort of thing that's what I used.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:55 am Black screen with reasonably dim lighting might work OK -
Thanks David,
Yes, I've used black before and it was as good as this at least...went a little eeeek on eyes, hair though.
The other three will be interesting experiments.
I started with Green because of the name more than anything.
The main problem with this Green was that it had been folded for delivery so had US Letter sized facets all over and capturing the right shade became an issue. I plan to unfold these, place them in a hot drier for half an hour and then roll them onto a something with several centimetres diameter to defeat that aspect.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Is the folding casting shadows? That could account for the difficulties your software is having detecting all the green.

How's your lighting otherwise? From what I've read, lighting will be what makes or breaks your greenscreen.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I've been in an actual green screen room for a work video. My memory is that the screen - actually a painted back wall - was lit quite strongly as was the filmed object - ie. me - but separately, and from above, and that I was as good metre and a half in front of the back wall to stop shadows on it - but I wasn't paying that much attention.
rayc

Post by rayc »

From my reading diffused or multidirectional lighting reduces the shadows and make the green screen effect work better.
I'll start by removing the folds, yes they were a problem, and any other wrinkles in the universe.
This one was with a single light bulb in the ceiling. Plenty of time & opportunities for experimentation.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think one of the other keys is that if you have a camera that has a variable aperture so you can control the depth of field, and keep the object in focus and the screen behind it not so much, then that works well too. Not available on your standard video cam I don't think, as it uses a fixed aperture (I think) that keeps the entirety of the view in focus - but a decent DSLR camera that takes video would allow you to do this.

Depends what tools you have available.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Cool video and song [mention]rayc[/mention]

I have found that wrinkles and lack of light give green screen problems.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

musicturtle wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm Cool video and song @rayc

ray is in his 60s, there's probably not so much he can do about the wrinkles... :biggrin:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:32 am
musicturtle wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:58 pm Cool video and song @rayc

ray is in his 60s, there's probably not so much he can do about the wrinkles... :biggrin:
BOOM TISH.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

rayc wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:04 pm This one was with a single light bulb in the ceiling. Plenty of time & opportunities for experimentation.
Oh yeah. Lighting will bbe most of your fix right then probably.