Chase The Devil - Max Romeo Cover

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
JD01

Chase The Devil - Max Romeo Cover

Post by JD01 »

Here's what I've been fannying about with this afternoon.

I can sing the punk section (from 1/3 of the way in) myself - I havne't got a fucking prayer at the reggae bit though.

Hmmm, could do with re-tracking the wah wah guitar too

ido1957

Re: Chase The Devil - Max Romeo Cover

Post by ido1957 »

Something sound out of wack when you switch to the minor chord part in the reggae section. I think it's the bass run. Maybe it needs one more note to sync up with the chord. Am I just overthinking this though???

Part 2 sounds good - The transition in the middle is very cool.

I wonder if a slight volume drop on guitars (or maybe trim a bit of high eq) would be in order when you into the busy part in Part 2 as it sounds a bit louder. Just in relation to the previous introductory part. The chunky part has great tone on both rhythm and lead parts.

I like the 3? different sections in one song, it keeps get more and more heavy duty as you go along. :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
rayc

Post by rayc »

You do vary the rhythm on the whacka/wha part so it may be better with consistency.
Good playing through out - you do rage on in the fast part -cool.
I thought the drums leaned a bit but when I straightened my h/phones all was sorted.
Nice solo tone & cool sustain.
Cheers
rayc
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

Well I listened but I haven't got a fucking clue as to what the original tune sounds like. All I have to offer is that it's recorded well.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

ocnor wrote:Well I listened but I haven't got a fucking clue as to what the original tune sounds like. All I have to offer is that it's recorded well.
Lol - ya me too. All I know is it kicks butt. :mrgreen:
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers guys, I need to clear up the reggae section to this (i'll do it today probably) - my playing is a bit shit.. I think when I was recorded I just really wanted to get on to the punk section!

The punk section is actually pretty much as fast as I can play rhythm guitar! Both the rhythms are single takes and I was really starting to get cramp by the time I switched to chugging power chords at the end.

Ido, all the chords in the song are minor! The first progression is Am, Em, Dm, Am and it then goes into Dm, Em. The Dm section sounds "more minor" though if that makes sense. The slightly odd sounding bit in that section is that there's an E, Eb, E in the bassline over the Em chord. Suppose its a weird major 7th sound... or in the key of Am, a blue note.

The volume increase through the song is intentional - maybe I've overdone it though - interesting to see it rendering and gradually getting closer to the limter throughout.

Ocnor, its an old reggae song from the 60s which was later covered/sampled by The Prodigy! If you stick the original on, you'll probably recognise it originally. I do love old reggae though.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Mix is good, for the most part. All the instruments sound good. The left-hand rhthm guitar in the intro seems quite a bit louder than the right - I'd make them more even. I enjoyed it. :D
Haggard Musician :mad:
paulman

Post by paulman »

I don't know the song at all, but I really like this recording. Great tones, and I think the reggae section sounds great.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

paulman wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:23 am I don't know the song at all, but I really like this recording. Great tones, and I think the reggae section sounds great.
I'm surprised how few of you know this - I'd always assumed it was a really well known song... and its about 50 years old!

Here's the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpIAc9by5iU
Last edited by JD01 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I don't listen to reggae or punk and I've never heard of The Prodigy either.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:33 am I don't listen to reggae or punk and I've never heard of The Prodigy either.
Fair enough, this is probably the best know rock track by The Prodigy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmHDhAohJlQ
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:44 am Ido, all the chords in the song are minor! The first progression is Am, Em, Dm, Am and it then goes into Dm, Em. The Dm section sounds "more minor" though if that makes sense. The slightly odd sounding bit in that section is that there's an E, Eb, E in the bassline over the Em chord. Suppose its a weird major 7th sound... or in the key of Am, a blue note.
I see - a blue note - which I had to Google lol. My theory is pretty minimal.
Found this though which helps explain to me.

E minor is a minor scale consisting of the pitches E, F♯, G, A, B, C, and D.
Its key signature has one sharp. The E harmonic minor raises the note D to D♯.

I had to try the new text formatting here, heh heh
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 amFair enough, this is probably the best know rock track by The Prodigy

That was vomitrocious! Rap style vocals, fake drums, and synthesized instruments = shit.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 am
JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:44 am Ido, all the chords in the song are minor! The first progression is Am, Em, Dm, Am and it then goes into Dm, Em. The Dm section sounds "more minor" though if that makes sense. The slightly odd sounding bit in that section is that there's an E, Eb, E in the bassline over the Em chord. Suppose its a weird major 7th sound... or in the key of Am, a blue note.
I see - a blue note - which I had to Google lol. My theory is pretty minimal.
Found this though which helps explain to me.

E minor is a minor scale consisting of the pitches E, F♯, G, A, B, C, and D.
Its key signature has one sharp. The E harmonic minor raises the note D to D♯.

I had to try the new text formatting here, heh heh
Ah, so a harmonic minor basically has a major 7th instead of a minor 7th.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:14 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:38 amFair enough, this is probably the best know rock track by The Prodigy

That was vomitrocious! Rap style vocals, fake drums, and synthesized instruments = shit.
LOL - I didn't say it was good! But I remember liking it in the late '90s.
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

It's an ok YT, but damn that repetitive percussion thing is too loud. Guess they didn't have the "Have a Listen" forum back then. :)
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

It's coming along, JD. I never heard the original either, but I like what you're doing with it.

I used to LOVE that Prodigy tune, too.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Hey Jd, just kind of getting around to actually listening to the stuff in this forum.

I like where you are going with it for sure. I spent so much time in a ska / punk band that i can appreciate the work you put into it. Good jon man. Only thing my ears really picked up on were:

- wah rhythm seems a bit wonky in some parts.
-your cymbals on the outro need a bit of humanization / randomization. My brain can hear the pattern after a few seconds being repeated. I could be way wrong but it seems that way to me.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 pm - wah rhythm seems a bit wonky in some parts.
-your cymbals on the outro need a bit of humanization / randomization. My brain can hear the pattern after a few seconds being repeated. I could be way wrong but it seems that way to me.
Yeah, the wonky wah is high on the to do list for this one.
I'd noticed the loopy feel to the drums to when listening to it back in the office yesterday. Those bloody hi-hat's mainly.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:08 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 pm - wah rhythm seems a bit wonky in some parts.
Yeah, the wonky wah is high on the to do list for this one.
I'd noticed the loopy feel to the drums to when listening to it back in the office yesterday. Those bloody hi-hat's mainly.
Meh hit happens to the best of us. To be expected really. Our canned beats, Hi hats are really a bitch. I find my cymbals pretty hard to make convincing to be honest. The way those drum software put stereo separation n them are just too much

I use easy drummer and when i go from composition to mixing stuff down the first thing i ever do is narrow down the stereo field of the overheads till it is just barely noticeable that there is a stereo separation, then i'll nude it back just a hair and leave it. Then i set about the task of humanizing everything just a little bit more.

Half way through that process i curse myself for not being a drummer.
:happytrees: