I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
miroslav

Re: I dispute the idea that tele's are not versatile (with audio)

Post by miroslav »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:20 pm SOrry dude, it just spits it out at the size it feels like. I have 0 control over that in that instance. Just X it out and it'll be gone.
I'm just busting your balls. I x'ed it out first thing.

I just can't stand that whole Twitter thing....but I know you're trying to pull some people over here hopefully.
Though I'm not sure twitterheads would last here. :P
rammer24 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 pm It's no big deal.
We already know your concept of size is skewed by your manhood. :tongue:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

miroslav wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:45 pm We already know your concept of size is skewed by your manhood. :tongue:
:lollers:

Says the guy that posted this about 15 minutes ago.......
I think it needs to be bigger in our header...why go so small.
:lollers2:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

That was sarcasm. :smug:

You didn't I was serious? :cool:
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

No, I didn't you were serious. How many smileys do I need to provide? :D
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

miroslav wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:45 pm

I just can't stand that whole Twitter thing....
Lol. Shocker. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I guess at least if you are on Twitter, you'll get advance warning of the coming nuclear apocalypse...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:20 pm That was sarcasm. :smug:

You didn't I was serious? :cool:
I didn't you were serious either. :happytrees:
:happytrees:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

rammer24 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 pm No, I didn't you were serious. How many smileys do I need to provide? :D
Just for you Funboy...a fat-ass smile...but it ain't no big deal.

rayc

Post by rayc »

I have no experience or opinion re Teles OR Strats.
Now, if we move on to debate single coiled, hollow bodied, MIJ, late 60s machines I'd risk an opinion.
Cheers
rayc
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm ...the four (possibly five if you count the one nobody likes) stock strat tones...
Ah! That's a nice subject for the Next Big Debate(TM) - which one is the one no one likes? :lollers2:

---

Really, though I did mean to start a discussion, I didn't mean to stir up controversy, that's why I started this whole thread w/a recording. I thought including actual sound clips to back up my assertion -- that I (or anyone) can get a lot of different and useful tones from a telecaster (with the implication that a tele wouldn't be a bad acquisition for someone searching for a new guitar) -- would keep the conversation from veering off into the cesspools that so often flood internet discussion boards.

What if we all backed up our positions on the subject with recordings? Show me -- through sound -- a sound I can get only with a certain guitar.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
muttley

Post by muttley »

SweetDan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 am
muttley wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:33 pm ...the four (possibly five if you count the one nobody likes) stock strat tones...
Ah! That's a nice subject for the Next Big Debate(TM) - which one is the one no one likes? :lollers2:

---
The stupid out of phase pissy one that sounds like a bee wanking off a goldfish in an empty tin drum...
muttley

Post by muttley »

SweetDan wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:18 am

---

Really, though I did mean to start a discussion, I didn't mean to stir up controversy, that's why I started this whole thread w/a recording. I thought including actual sound clips to back up my assertion -- that I (or anyone) can get a lot of different and useful tones from a telecaster (with the implication that a tele wouldn't be a bad acquisition for someone searching for a new guitar) -- would keep the conversation from veering off into the cesspools that so often flood internet discussion boards.

What if we all backed up our positions on the subject with recordings? Show me -- through sound -- a sound I can get only with a certain guitar.
I raised this at my gig last night as where I was playing is kind of a meet up for a lot of good gigging muso types.. The consensus seems to be that a"versatile" guitar means a guitar would suit the widest variety of gigs not the most knobs and pickups... The Tele won hands down with only one vote for the Strat. Obviously YMMV but I will stick on that. You lot can twist.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Well if we're gonna ignore the actual definition of versatile and just invent our own based on personal preference then this is all moot.
Rebel Yell
muttley

Post by muttley »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:41 am Well if we're gonna ignore the actual definition of versatile and just invent our own based on personal preference then this is all moot.
Yeh, I agree "versatile" meaning suiting the widest variety of situations/gigs is a pretty good definition. "Quantity of parts" does not equate to "versatility" in all this. I'm sticking.:)
muttley

Post by muttley »

From your own post....

versatile
adjective
adjective: versatile

able to adapt or be adapted to many different functions or activities.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

muttley wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:54 am

Yeh, I agree "versatile" meaning suiting the widest variety of situations/gigs is a pretty good definition. "Quantity of parts" does not equate to "versatility" in all this. I'm sticking.:)
Go ahead and stick then. I'll stick on this: The "quantity of parts" is one of the factors that makes the Strat capable of more tones than a Tele. Add the vibrato and a Strat runs away from a Tele in actual versatility. Your personal preference of not liking Strat tones is besides the actual point (I don't really like them either). The fundamental design, layout, and build of a Strat makes it more versatile than a Tele whether you and your buddies like it or not. :sherlock:

Far be it from me to defend a Strat - I generally can't stand them. But I don't like Teles either, so I feel like I'm being pretty objective here.

Now that I've repeated myself a hundred times, I'm out. :guru:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

So this comes down to whether the number of sounds defines versatility, or the number of situations the guitar can be used in defines versatilty.

Seeing I raised the issue in the first place, I'll say that I'm in the latter camp - I could see a Tele being useful in a number of situations in my recording future, which is sort of what I meant originally, albeit I grant you it can't make the number of sounds that either a Strat or a Jazz or Jag can make... :cool:

And I can see a Jazz in my future anyway. Maybe that's a 2019 purchase. :stirthepot: :D
rayc

Post by rayc »

Fuel for the Fire & Fury?
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXPWBk5u-90[/BBvideo]
Cheers
rayc
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

I would think that perceived versatility is a personal, subjective thing also, when it comes to guitars.
I don't see that the number of pickups or the shape/style is the only defining factor...or that it's just a matter of adding those thing sup and comparing them...but though those things may be part of what makes it more or less versatile....to you.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

miroslav wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:20 am I would think that perceived versatility is a personal, subjective thing also, when it comes to guitars.
I don't see that the number of pickups or the shape/style is the only defining factor...or that it's just a matter of adding those thing sup and comparing them...but though those things may be part of what makes it more or less versatile....to you.
The fascinating thing i like about this debate is that Greg is very much 100% right that by definition and design the Strat does in fact meet all criteria to win the "versatile" award in a very literal, physical sense on the exterior. It is anything but a matter of perspective or opinion. it is concrete. So really whats the debate about right? We could effectively lay the whole thing to rest. Mutt, Sweet Dan, and myself included have stated that tonally, the tele can do more than Strat. it just can. By design it covers a lot of ground tonally in a much more minimalist design. Does this make it versatile? no not really. I'd even go so far as to say no not at all in an all encompassing literal sense. But it sure does give a start a run for it's money enough to the point that maybe it actually could be a versatile tool for an artist to have to access to? part of being versatile is adapting. If one can adapt the flavor of a tele into their sound, then where are we at?

The tele is like the poor kid down the street who could detail your car with a sponge and an old t shirt and do as good of a job as the detailing company with a three car bay and a staff of 12 people lined up to fuck their boss over with a few smoke breaks at your expense. He's adapted and made him self a alternative to the wankers with the 3 bay car shop? yes? I'd hire the kid myself for a multitude of reasons.

Is the poor kid versatile? hell no. not by literal definition. He's got a sponge and his dads old steely dan t shirt. but he did manage to do the same job as the car detailing shop with all the bells and whistles and fancy features.

I digress at this point i'm straying a little to far from a literal meaning and hen pecking that adaptation aspect of being versatile. So i'll cut it off here.

Perspective and opinion only come into play when discussing which provides more tone. and really, when you start examining that it will always and forever be a matter of perspective, personal preferences, tastes and opinion. We may as well just be discussing the merits of Gibson over Fender or should lt.Bob should hang up the sax and start playing bagpipes. :sherlock: :sherlock:

And it is at this point my opinion is that when i hear something i like and i go looking at what that player uses it would always surprise me if they were using a tele. my curiosities have never led me to a player with a Strat. like, ever. Thats when i started thinking i needed a tele for my own line up to play with. (still waiting to be finished :facepalm: ) I personally think they look ridiculous and the necks are always kind of wimpy like Miro stated but god damn if they don't have that little sparkle i kind of want in a very minimal bundle.
:happytrees: