50w Plexi mods

Swapping out speakers in cab -OR- putting a hammer though your Line6 Spider? Tell us about it.
Bill L

Re: 50w Plexi mods

Post by Bill L »

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :lollers2:

Here, let us help you. Great job! :jam:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bill L wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back. :lollers2:

Here, let us help you. Great job! :jam:
No I got this. I'm just pleased with myself. I didn't break it. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:41 pm No I got this. I'm just pleased with myself. I didn't break it. :lollers2:
That's my starting point with almost everything.
Cheers
rayc
Bubba

Hey, Greg!!

Post by Bubba »

Did you choke your JVM, yet? I need to know whether it makes any difference at all from somebody who can actually tell. I'm considering the mod. :nyuk:
Haggard Musician :mad:
Greg_L

Re: Hey, Greg!!

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 am Did you choke your JVM, yet? I need to know whether it makes any difference at all from somebody who can actually tell. I'm considering the mod. :nyuk:
Too funny. I actually just started doing it last night to my bud's JVM. His is the test mule, then mine will be next. He bought two chokes - one for him, one for me - and I'm doing the work.

So far I've got the board removed from his amp and marked/drilled the holes for the choke. Very easy so far. Plenty of room for the choke. I need to go to a hardware store today and pick up some small bolts and lock-nuts.

I'm going to do a photo-essay thing when I get to my own amp.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:31 am
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:27 am Did you choke your JVM, yet? I need to know whether it makes any difference at all from somebody who can actually tell. I'm considering the mod. :nyuk:
Too funny. I actually just started doing it last night to my bud's JVM. His is the test mule, then mine will be next. He bought two chokes - one for him, one for me - and I'm doing the work.

So far I've got the board removed from his amp and marked/drilled the holes for the choke. Very easy so far. Plenty of room for the choke. I need to go to a hardware store today and pick up some small bolts and lock-nuts.

I'm going to do a photo-essay thing when I get to my own amp.
Excellent. I've seen various build photos and it looks to be ridiculously simple - bolt the choke to the chassis, run two leads through, take out the big white resistor near the four big caps and solder the leads in its place. Is it really that easy?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 am

Excellent. I've seen various build photos and it looks to be ridiculously simple - bolt the choke to the chassis, run two leads through, take out the big white resistor near the four big caps and solder the leads in its place. Is it really that easy?
Yes, it would appear to be that easy, but I haven't gotten that far yet, so I'm not sure. But it does seem stupidly easy. That is all there is to it. R106 is the resistor you'd need to replace.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:39 am
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:36 am

Yes, it would appear to be that easy, but I haven't gotten that far yet, so I'm not sure. But it does seem stupidly easy. That is all there is to it. R106 is the resistor you'd need to replace.
Presumably there's a polarity to the leads? Maybe not, I dunno.

I wait with bated breath.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:42 am
Presumably there's a polarity to the leads? Maybe not, I dunno.

I wait with bated breath.
Nope, just stick em. It doesn't matter which wire goes where.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Right. Even I could do it, it seems.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 am Right. Even I could do it, it seems.
I know you feel sketchy about soldering, but other than that, you absolutely can do it.

The real question is if it's even worth it. Most people seem to love a choke on their JVMs, but a lot of people have confirmation bias too. I'm going into it not expecting any kind of massive tone revelation. I'm hoping for a little less noise, maybe a little better stability in the low end and less oscillation at mega gain levels. Maybe.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:39 am
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:29 am Right. Even I could do it, it seems.
I know you feel sketchy about soldering, but other than that, you absolutely can do it.

The real question is if it's even worth it. Most people seem to love a choke on their JVMs, but a lot of people have confirmation bias too. I'm going into it not expecting any kind of massive tone revelation. I'm hoping for a little less noise, maybe a little better stability in the low end and less oscillation at mega gain levels. Maybe.
I'm good at soldering, I do loads of it at work - but understanding electronics isn't my strong suit.

I'd just like to control noise a little better, particularly as we get around a lot of different venues and their power is often not the cleanest. Loads of dimmer switches, outside neons, beer pumps blah-de-blah. I sometimes get obtrusive 50Hz noise, particularly with gain, as you'd expect. I'm not intending to do it for any particular tone benefits - I'm happy with it!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am

I'm good at soldering, I do loads of it at work - but understanding electronics isn't my strong suit.
Ah yes, that's right. Sorry. It's the wiring that stresses you out.
I'd just like to control noise a little better, particularly as we get around a lot of different venues and their power is often not the cleanest. Loads of dimmer switches, outside neons, beer pumps blah-de-blah. I sometimes get obtrusive 50Hz noise, particularly with gain, as you'd expect. I'm not intending to do it for any particular tone benefits - I'm happy with it!
In theory, a choke should help a lot with that specific problem. The JVM is a noisy amp, as you know. Most of the noise is in the higher gain stages, but it's kind of noisy everywhere. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'll definitely let you know how mine goes.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:33 pm
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am

Ah yes, that's right. Sorry. It's the wiring that stresses you out.
In theory, a choke should help a lot with that specific problem. The JVM is a noisy amp, as you know. Most of the noise is in the higher gain stages, but it's kind of noisy everywhere. I guess we'll see soon enough. I'll definitely let you know how mine goes.
Excellent. Fingers crossed it does the trick.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Okay Bubba, I just finished my buddies JVM, and I think you need to do the choke. It's noticeably quieter. It still hisses a little, but the low end is vastly improved and the fizz is tamed a lot. It's very chunky now. The low end is beefier without being tubby or flubby. The squealing and fizz in the high gain settings seems to be much improved. Good mod to do!

I'll get started on mine and do the pics and write-up thing.
Rebel Yell
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:57 pm
Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Okay Bubba, I just finished my buddies JVM, and I think you need to do the choke. It's noticeably quieter. It still hisses a little, but the low end is vastly improved and the fizz is tamed a lot. It's very chunky now. The low end is beefier without being tubby or flubby. The squealing and fizz in the high gain settings seems to be much improved. Good mod to do!

I'll get started on mine and do the pics and write-up thing.
Superb! Very keen to get it done, now. I've always liked the low end provided by the JVM and 4x12, but felt that it was too undefined and mushy to add any "chunk" to chugging riffs. It kind of disappeared apart from adding general weight and warmth to the band's live sound. If the hum is reduced significantly, then deep joy will be outstandifold.

Excited. :biggrin:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Bubba wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm

Superb! Very keen to get it done, now. I've always liked the low end provided by the JVM and 4x12, but felt that it was too undefined and mushy to add any "chunk" to chugging riffs. It kind of disappeared apart from adding general weight and warmth to the band's live sound. If the hum is reduced significantly, then deep joy will be outstandifold.

Excited. :biggrin:
Yeah there's definitely like a "clarity" to the sound, as I'm hearing it right now. Everything just sounds better for sure.
Rebel Yell