Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Minerman

Re: Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Post by Minerman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm Well sir. I never had latency issues with the hybrit + reaverb combo for IR's before but lemme tell ya.

That ZL button isn't working over here. not sure whats going on. I suspect something deep within the matrix of it 18120 i wager. open to suggestions
Minerman wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:06 am
I think you can reduce the latency with ReaVerb by tweaking the FFT value in the lower right corner, but it stresses the cpu a lot like lowering the buffer rate for your interface...So I think a lower FFT value = lower latency, but with added cpu hit....
:biggrin:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:46 pm The Reaverb ZL button only works for me if I check it before the IR is loaded.

In a day frought with one glitch and hang up after another all i got tracked was the bass and some scratch vocals to work out some harmonies and back ups in the car while i had the house to myself. [mention]Greg_L[/mention] I will get some tone samples up for for your IR's later tonight after i have some supper and get done babysitting my bros kids.

I got a lot new going on tone wise though so i may have to A/B in other songs to make sure i haven't messed anything up. i gave two guitars and my bass a proper going over, new strings, adjusted actions, intonations and pick up heights to 'recommended" standards.

I put NYXL's on my LP Junior and on the bass and holy smokes. I don't think i am ever going to go back to my DR Pure Blues. Definitely worth the few extra bucks. Those bass strings are just something else. :like: :like: :like:
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok here is a few clips thus far of gregs MXL IR's in my environment.

Les Paul Junior Bridge Pick up + the following settings

20190419 GerkIR MXL Cen1.mp3
20190419 GerkIR MXL Cone1.mp3
20190419 GerkIR MXL Cone Edge1.mp3
20190419 GerkIR MXL Dustcap-Cone Seam 1.mp3

20190419 GerkIR MXL Cen 1 (RV50).mp3
20190419 GerkIR MXL Cone 1 (RV50).mp3
20190419 GerkIR MXL Cone Edge 1 (RV50).mp3
20190419 GerkIR MXL Dustcap-Cone Seam 1 (RV50).mp3

Really like these IR's if i am honest. I could easily work these into a jam for sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention] man those sound great. Nice job. I'm glad they work.

I've tested them in three different convolution hosts and they work well for me. I guess I'll keep going with other mics and speakers.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:53 am @WhiskeyJack man those sound great. Nice job. I'm glad they work.

I've tested them in three different convolution hosts and they work well for me. I guess I'll keep going with other mics and speakers.
Definitely man what a cool project. And i may very well be crazy and hearing things at this point of the day but i hear scant traces of room. Like those impulses i can pick up a sense of the space. I could be wrong but i think i hear that stuff.

What were the other hosts you tried just out of curiosity?

If it's ok with you i may use these on my cover. The way things are set up to record is the Unidyne, the e906 and a clean DI track. This is going to be my norm set up now. I want the di to have to have as a back up last ditch sonic gap filler if need be kind of thing. And these IR's will do the trick! That dustcap and cone seam IR does it for me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:06 am

Definitely man what a cool project. And i may very well be crazy and hearing things at this point of the day but i hear scant traces of room. Like those impulses i can pick up a sense of the space. I could be wrong but i think i hear that stuff.
You are hearing a little room in there. The ribbon mic is a figure-8 mic. The backside of the mic takes in signal too, and where does the back face? Out into the room. The front is on the cab, the back faces out into the void. My room is not some magical live space that sounds great, but the backside of that mic has to get something. The two signals get summed together as one.
What were the other hosts you tried just out of curiosity?
Reaverb, SIR, and NadIR.
If it's ok with you i may use these on my cover. The way things are set up to record is the Unidyne, the e906 and a clean DI track. This is going to be my norm set up now. I want the di to have to have as a back up last ditch sonic gap filler if need be kind of thing. And these IR's will do the trick! That dustcap and cone seam IR does it for me.
Yeah use them if you want. They're made to be used. I have all these cabs and speakers because I'm huge believer in the tone coloring that speakers provide as the last stop for your signal. They make a huge difference. And I'm a big fan of big cabs. Like with my favorite amp of all time - the JCM 800. I think it sounds great all the time. But when I hook it up to the G12-65 cab...ho-lee shit. Those speakers are perfect for that amp. Speakers matter.

These could be useful tools for people that only have one cab or one type of speaker. And especially useful for people that use sims. I've never heard a sim program that didn't sound better with real speaker IRs. And it's a neat experiment for me. There may come a day where I can't just blast 100w amps day and night. With these things I or anyone else can still get as close as possible to putting a mic on screaming cabinet without actually doing it.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I never knew about that ZL feature in Reaverb. I hope to get over to my house (building site) later today. I'll have a look at a few of these. The HK has a good lineout which includes the power amp and you can choose to have cab emulation or just switch it off.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Here is my little demo.

Played on my Epi LP Custom, treble pickup, tone and volume maxed into Focusrite 2i2

Here are the settings for my Plexi 50 - VST Amp Rack plug in on Cubase.

I think I like the center and the cone the best.

Cool exercise in mic placement and how it affects sound.

I never owned a big ol' amp and cab so I am pretty much flying blind here, but it's fun.

Thanks for sharing [mention]Greg_L[/mention]

Plexi.png
Greg GB Center.mp3
Greg GB Cone Edge.mp3
Greg GB Cone.mp3
Greg GB Dustcap-Cone.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Nice results there too [mention]musicturtle[/mention] !!! I really quite like the cone one on your samples!!! Sounds awesome!!!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:11 am Here is my little demo.

Very nice! I like the cone clip too. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I'm a little lost. Did you post the impulses in the thread somewhere?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:22 pm I'm a little lost. Did you post the impulses in the thread somewhere?
No, I don't want lurkers and looky-loos getting them. Just PM me if you want them.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You'd probably enjoy and be really good at making Kemper profiles... It's a pretty similar process. Kemper emits weird alien tone which enters amp via guitar jack and mic of choice picks up result and routes back into Kemper.

A second tone is then sent to fine tune. Done.

When you read about the guys that make really good profiles, they're obsessing over speaker type, cab type, and mic type and position in exactly the same way you and other recording guitarists do. It all matters hugely, and the person's understanding of how and why distinguishes good from bad.

And when you hear a bad one you know that whoever made it isn't going to be much chop at recording good tones anyway.

The good ones are made by pro guitarists who know tone, no doubt.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Guys, you're getting great results from this... and the weird thing is, you do sound a bit like Greg!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:46 am you do sound a bit like Greg!
Lol. This is phase one of my taking over the world.

Phase one - Improve tones
Phase two - ?????
Phase three - Profit!
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Keeping this weird experiment going....check this shit out....

I made some more IRs today and with the mic and amp still all set up I did a real vs IR test.

The setup...
Gibson SG - Angus Young bridge pickup
Marshall JVM 410 - OD1 Green mode
Bass - 5
Mid - 7
Treb - 7
Gain - 4
Resonance - 5
Presence - 5
Channel and master volume - 5
Marshall 1960B 4x12 - Celestion G12-65s
Audix i5 on axis, on grill, just outside dustcap edge

Real mic on real speaker clip:
G1265 i5.mp3

For this IR clip, I took a DI split out of the amp's FX loop into the interface and applied the IR of the same mic in the same spot on the same speaker. Both clips were done at the same time, it's just this one is direct tapped out from the fx loop and with an IR.
G1265 i5 IR.mp3

This is some voodoo shit.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:38 pm Keeping this weird experiment going....check this shit out....

I made some more IRs today and with the mic and amp still all set up I did a real vs IR test.

The setup...
Gibson SG - Angus Young bridge pickup
Marshall JVM 410 - OD1 Green mode
Bass - 5
Mid - 7
Treb - 7
Gain - 4
Resonance - 5
Presence - 5
Channel and master volume - 5
Marshall 1960B 4x12 - Celestion G12-65s
Audix i5 on axis, on grill, just outside dustcap edge

Real mic on real speaker clip:
G1265 i5.mp3

For this IR clip, I took a DI split out of the amp's FX loop into the interface and applied the IR of the same mic in the same spot on the same speaker. Both clips were done at the same time, it's just this one is direct tapped out from the fx loop and with an IR.
G1265 i5 IR.mp3

This is some voodoo shit.
Frig dude. Thats pretty dang close! I hear only a very very slight difference in the two. IR sounding and feeling just a hair quieter than the real thing. Nothing that would matter at all in a mix. slick cloning job you mad scientist, you.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I've played with a few of these now too. They sound great. I'll post a few up along with my loud tone for comparison in a couple of days. Greg's heard them already.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:21 pm

Frig dude. Thats pretty dang close! I hear only a very very slight difference in the two. IR sounding and feeling just a hair quieter than the real thing. Nothing that would matter at all in a mix. slick cloning job you mad scientist, you.
Yeah, it's freaky.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]Greg_L[/mention]
Send me the link for your IR's dude...I'm getting my room put back together so I should be able to give 'em a whirl this evening... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: