Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
rayc

Re: Recording Rebels membership exclusive! Speaker cab impulses!

Post by rayc »

Hoot - that's close. serious amp through serious speakers and serious amp through home digitized speakers - impressive.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Minerman wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:59 pm @Greg_L
Send me the link for your IR's dude...I'm getting my room put back together so I should be able to give 'em a whirl this evening... :minernuggs:
I am excited to hear what miner can do with these.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:06 pm

So far I've done like four batches - one set for four different speakers.

What I've noticed is that, partly by design and mostly by happy accident, they're all in phase.

What this means is, if the user is so inclined, they can all be blended and it will be in phase.

Say you're plugged direct into your interface and you have a sim head up and running like normal. Send that track to two other tracks with the IRs loaded on each track. Don't stack the IRs on one track, they need to be on separate tracks. So you have the DI on one track (the head), and the other two tracks can act like the cabs. Now you can juggle and mix speakers and mics and levels between the two "cab tracks" as if you're actually running into two cabs....and it's all in phase.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 pm

So far I've done like four batches - one set for four different speakers.

What I've noticed is that, partly by design and mostly by happy accident, they're all in phase.

What this means is, if the user is so inclined, they can all be blended and it will be in phase.

Say you're plugged direct into your interface and you have a sim head up and running like normal. Send that track to two other tracks with the IRs loaded on each track. Don't stack the IRs on one track, they need to be on separate tracks. So you have the DI on one track (the head), and the other two tracks can act like the cabs. Now you can juggle and mix speakers and mics and levels between the two "cab tracks" as if you're actually running into two cabs....and it's all in phase.
I may have already tried this with the MXL IR's :k: A bit of tinkering and i got a pretty sweet tone using the Hybrit with a a 60/40 blend of the cone and cone cap seam. It's pretty friggin slick. Only thing i did different is did one performance track and then i just duplicated the track in reaper and switched the IR file.

You say one part design and one part happy accident but did you manage to keep them all in phase? Like i guess more how did you plan ahead for that?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:36 pm

I may have already tried this with the MXL IR's :k: A bit of tinkering and i got a pretty sweet tone using the Hybrit with a a 60/40 blend of the cone and cone cap seam. It's pretty friggin slick. Only thing i did different is did one performance track and then i just duplicated the track in reaper and switched the IR file.
Yup, that is another way to do it.
You say one part design and one part happy accident but did you manage to keep them all in phase? Like i guess more how did you plan ahead for that?
I think it just worked out that way because everything I've done so far is on the grill. I haven't explored backing the mic off the cabs and I don't know if I will. Since keeping multiple mics on a speaker in phase is all about distance, I avoided that trap by having them all be the same distance....even though they're all separate miking instances. The grill cloth is the distance. With them being in phase you can treat them as two, three, four, or more mics on one speaker and they'll just keep adding up instead of going all weirdo out of phase.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention]
I'm still putting my place back together man, I thought I'd be able to post some tones last night, but got caught up in some cleaning/re-arranging over here...I love living alone at times, but it's a pain sometimes too...Hopefully later this evening I can make it happen...
Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:16 pmSo far I've done like four batches - one set for four different speakers.

[mention]Greg_L[/mention]
I'm glad you brought this up, because I was thinking about blending 2 different mics, & the phase thing immediately came to mind...

I personally think since you've got 'em all in phase so far with the methods you're using, just keep it that way...I appreciate some IR's packs have all kinds of options on the mic distance/placement, but most, if not all go overkill on it all...I'd much rather have 4 or 5 IR's per speaker/mic & be able to blend them how I wanna without wading through an ocean of files...

Just curious, were your amps cranked when you made these, or is that not even a factor??? The reason I ask is I was wondering if the speaker being pushed would affect the IR (IE: a V30 sounds much different when pounded by volume)...If it works that way, it'd be waaay fuckin' cool to have a speaker sim pushed into the Gerg's recording volume territory, & be able to have it at silent levels...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:29 pm
@Greg_L
I'm glad you brought this up, because I was thinking about blending 2 different mics, & the phase thing immediately came to mind...

I personally think since you've got 'em all in phase so far with the methods you're using, just keep it that way...I appreciate some IR's packs have all kinds of options on the mic distance/placement, but most, if not all go overkill on it all...I'd much rather have 4 or 5 IR's per speaker/mic & be able to blend them how I wanna without wading through an ocean of files...

Just curious, were your amps cranked when you made these, or is that not even a factor??? The reason I ask is I was wondering if the speaker being pushed would affect the IR (IE: a V30 sounds much different when pounded by volume)...If it works that way, it'd be waaay fuckin' cool to have a speaker sim pushed into the Gerg's recording volume territory, & be able to have it at silent levels...
I used the JVM's power amp for it's clean headroom. The reason behind that is 1) the JVM's serial power amp loop is perfect for this, and 2) to get minimal but adequate power tube action involved. You don't want distortion when making IRs. So no, it wasn't literally "cranked", but these were made at a much louder level than what most people would probably use. Hearing that sine wave come through the speakers at 120db is not comfortable. :lollers2: :eep:

So yeah, the speakers are being pushed, but they're not near death or anything.

From my own tests and experience with my own speakers and mics, these IRs are coming out sounding like they should.

As far as blending them, as long as you're doing it with two different IRs on two different tracks, it's all good. They blend perfectly. They can't be stacked in series on the same track though.

The Greenback + ribbon tracks don't blend that well though IMO because the ribbon is a figure 8 mic. I'll need to make some new Greenback IRs with a dynamic mic and then they'll play nicely with the others.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:42 pm I used the JVM's power amp for it's clean headroom. The reason behind that is 1) the JVM's serial power amp loop is perfect for this, and 2) to get minimal but adequate power tube action involved. You don't want distortion when making IRs. So no, it wasn't literally "cranked", but these were made at a much louder level than what most people would probably use. Hearing that sine wave come through the speakers at 120db is not comfortable. :lollers2: :eep:

So yeah, the speakers are being pushed, but they're not near death or anything.

From my own tests and experience with my own speakers and mics, these IRs are coming out sounding like they should.

As far as blending them, as long as you're doing it with two different IRs on two different tracks, it's all good. They blend perfectly. They can't be stacked in series on the same track though.

The Greenback + ribbon tracks don't blend that well though IMO because the ribbon is a figure 8 mic. I'll need to make some new Greenback IRs with a dynamic mic and then they'll play nicely with the others.
Ok, I can kinda wrap my head around that man, sorta...

I was thinking maybe the speaker being pushed might be part of what's missing with cab sims...It seems technology pretty much has the pedals/amps pretty close, but the cab sims are still lacking a bit...The speaker thing may even be impossible to capture entirely because it's such a complex thing, I dunno...

Either way it's cool as fuck to be able to just make a few mouse clicks & have your speakers/mics/mic placements any time we'd wanna use 'em... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

[mention]WhiskeyJack[/mention]
[mention]musicturtle[/mention]
[mention]Greg_L[/mention]

Finally got around to listening to these & I'm very impressed...There is a slight difference between Greg's real mic & IR clip, like maybe a smidge more high end, but nothing to worry about at all IMO...

Very, very impressive to say the least...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

I just tried some on a song demo I did last week with a friend who came a cople of thou kms to write & record.
He had an ear infection so loud guitars weren't going to be an option so we used the built in FX of an R16 as he's familiar with them - guitar into R16 into interface basically.
As a result I had to do a LOT of EQing to get rid of the fizzy, crisp to fragile top end of the tracks done through it.
I followed the Greg instructions in Rea and whammo - I was able to turn off the EQ.
I did have to crank the levels a bit because, I think, the recorded levels were pretty low, but the result was WAY better.
i then thought about what things I usually use DI - bass and some BIAB organs etc.
I tried it on bass - excellent result - on organ - again excellent result.
THANKS Greg. I won't use the stuff on guitars often but I know it works and I know it's choice for the other bits n bobs I DI.
I do look forward to trying them with the Mel9 pedal - that signal needs heavy EQing, spring reverb and an amp/cab set up - just like the real thing so now I have the way to do that. I'll be able to set up an FX chain from Mel 9 with EQ, Spring Reverb and Greg's IRs.
THANK YOU.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Awesome, thanks guys. I'm glad they work and can be useful.
Rebel Yell