The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:44 pm Yes, to me, yours sounded pretty much just like the big Jubilee I had here, so that's good. Your sound coming through my cab in the room was like someone was here actually playing. I think all you gotta do is keep tweaking your miking and placement and I think yours could sound pretty damn close to a big Jubilee. :cheers1:
Cool beans man, I'm 100% sure the loss of chunk/bottom is coming from my ISO cab, but I can somewhat make up for it by turning the bass knob up a tad, but I have to be pretty conservative with that, or it'll get woofy...

After about 10 seconds of your re-amp I knew my mic placement on the original was off & needed attention...

Off topic: Those little slider bars I have for my mics in the ISO cab are ok, but they're finicky & a bit of a pain to make sure they stay put...I already have one little short mic boom, so I may re-work the mic bars to make it a little better for me...

I finally got around to fixing the speaker bolts in the baffle too, I had to buy new wingnuts, the first batch's threads were fucked up when I bought 'em...The new ones are ok though, I took the bolts with me to make sure...I'm using drum head tension rods for the speaker bolts, the bottom 2 are the same size bolts, but they have a plastic knob to make it quicker/easier to change...

On the top 2 bolts I use my little drum key ratchet...This has made it a lot easier & even quicker to swap a speaker...

And I'm still looking into the power conditioner thing, most likely I'll go with something like you suggested instead of an overpriced power strip & end up re-routing all the cables that are behind my desk...I always try to keep everything tidy, but it's still a mess with all the cables back there...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, cheers. I’ll keep that in mind... weird. When I recorded that tone I was thinking that I was actually doing well with my amp and was happy with it. Now I’ve heard that I definitely want a new amp again!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:01 am Yeah, cheers. I’ll keep that in mind... weird. When I recorded that tone I was thinking that I was actually doing well with my amp and was happy with it. Now I’ve heard that I definitely want a new amp again!
Lol. Well you surely are doing better. Do me a favor when you get a chance - do another FX send DI clip from your amp with no pedals. No EQ in the loop, no SD1 or OCD out front, nothing. Dial it in however you want, but no pedals, and I'll run that through the JVM again and let's see what it does.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:07 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:01 am Yeah, cheers. I’ll keep that in mind... weird. When I recorded that tone I was thinking that I was actually doing well with my amp and was happy with it. Now I’ve heard that I definitely want a new amp again!
Lol. Well you surely are doing better. Do me a favor when you get a chance - do another FX send DI clip from your amp with no pedals. No EQ in the loop, no SD1 or OCD out front, nothing. Dial it in however you want, but no pedals, and I'll run that through the JVM again and let's see what it does.
Yeah, will do. Will be next weekend now though, I'm off to Berlin!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Don't get caught up the Reeperbahn!
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:41 pm Don't get caught up the Reeperbahn!
Reeperbahn? I've just got a couple of days of history, beer (beer that even classless yanks would like) and currywurst.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Why does this sound like this? Is it bad? Good? Decent? Workable? I cant tell what to do. I feel like its dark still, but it doesnt sound dark in the room. Any ideas? Nothing added to this, just a raw track, not even bumped up volume.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 pm Why does this sound like this? Is it bad? Good? Decent? Workable? I cant tell what to do. I feel like its dark still, but it doesnt sound dark in the room. Any ideas? Nothing added to this, just a raw track, not even bumped up volume.
It's not terrible dude, sounds to me like you just need to tweak the mic position to be a little brighter, especially if you like how it sounds in the room...FWIW, a mic "hears" this way different than our ears...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:19 pm Why does this sound like this? Is it bad? Good? Decent? Workable? I cant tell what to do. I feel like its dark still, but it doesnt sound dark in the room. Any ideas? Nothing added to this, just a raw track, not even bumped up volume.
I don't think it's dark. It has that modern rock Mesa sound to it. I bet that'd work in a mix no problem.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Interesting. Thanks guys! Makes me feel a bit better about it. Now I should work on something and see how it all fits.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Just throwing something up here while trying out different ways to upload/stream my stuff...Soundcloud is ok, but I only have a free account, & it sounds like the compression that site uses degrades the sound a bit...This clip is a wav file, can't upload mp3's, the files have to be lossless, so we'll see how this does for a while...

LP > Mini Jube > Greenback > 57
  • 20w mode
    Lead Channel
    Presence: 5
    Bass: 8
    Mid: 6.5
    Treble: 5
    Output Master: 7.5
    Lead Master: 5
    Input Gain: 7

Drums are SD3...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:37 pm Just throwing something up here while trying out different ways to upload/stream my stuff...Soundcloud is ok, but I only have a free account, & it sounds like the compression that site uses degrades the sound a bit...This clip is a wav file, can't upload mp3's, the files have to be lossless, so we'll see how this does for a while...

• 20w mode
    Lead Channel

Drums are SD3...
Sounds real good miner. Is that the isocab?
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:02 pm Sounds real good miner. Is that the isocab?
Thanks dude, yep, that's the isocab...I'm slowly getting my head around the mini j with the isocab dude...

The mic position using it is similar to using my 4x12, but I've found I can get away with a brighter position most of the time...Both my amps lose quite a bit of top end when they're pushed with the isocab, & all my speakers fart out pretty bad when I get 'em up to a certain point with it...It's just a matter of getting everything balanced...

I'm pretty happy with this setup overall dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Man that sounds great!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

So here is that new fuzz I got. Never really was into fuzz at all but I dig this and will find use for it for sure. Definitely like the single note stuff better than chords so far. In my 30 minutes of messing around with it Ive found that pushing the clean channel on the 10 watt setting seems to work best. So here Im using my LP on the bridge pickup with the tone and volume cranked, into the EP Booster at about halfway then into fuzz then amp. Hard to tell with the recording but I like the single note stuff a lot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 pm So here is that new fuzz I got. Never really was into fuzz at all but I dig this and will find use for it for sure. Definitely like the single note stuff better than chords so far. In my 30 minutes of messing around with it Ive found that pushing the clean channel on the 10 watt setting seems to work best. So here Im using my LP on the bridge pickup with the tone and volume cranked, into the EP Booster at about halfway then into fuzz then amp. Hard to tell with the recording but I like the single note stuff a lot.
I'm not a fan of fuzz but that sounds real good to me. Nice bite and grit without getting too gross.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Miner - that sounds great. If you're trying to convince me to get a Jube you're doing a good job! Can you post up the isolated guitars, not in the mix so I can have a listen?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Liv, I think you've made a really good job of that. OK, so it sounds a bit harsh and fuzzy... but its fuzz! I reckon that would sound good in a mix with a bass? Is that from a song you're working on? If so, I'll look forward to hearing the full mix.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:07 am Miner - that sounds great. If you're trying to convince me to get a Jube you're doing a good job! Can you post up the isolated guitars, not in the mix so I can have a listen?
Here are the guitars solo'd dude...

20w mode
Lead Channel
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:48 pm So here is that new fuzz I got. Never really was into fuzz at all but I dig this and will find use for it for sure. Definitely like the single note stuff better than chords so far. In my 30 minutes of messing around with it Ive found that pushing the clean channel on the 10 watt setting seems to work best. So here Im using my LP on the bridge pickup with the tone and volume cranked, into the EP Booster at about halfway then into fuzz then amp. Hard to tell with the recording but I like the single note stuff a lot.
I'm not a big fan of fuzz either dude, but this would probably sound great in some kind of slow, sludgy, heavy song like AIC, Soundgarden or similar...It is a little mushy but not terrible man...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH