The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by JD01 »

They are very similar.
My favourite is the 78, followed by the 73, the goldtop with the white one in last place.

Found the 78, was really clear and I could hear all the strings but it also didn't have such a bright top end, while at the same time the bottom end didn't become mushy/woofy. Its the smoothest sounding.

Terms like harsh bright top end and woofy bottom end are relative though - they're all good tones!
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

New speaker day! Celestion G10 Greenback

A while ago I'd got an Eminence "Raging Cajun" 10" speaker to replace the stock speaker in my Vox AD30VT (early-gen modeling amp), now I've got the G10 to swap in and out to give a different flavor of things. To make a somewhat fair comparison, I re-tracked the rhythm guitars from a tune I did in the One-Condensor Mic recording challenge a couple years ago (viewtopic.php?p=74249#p74249).

First, the raw sound of the Raging Cajun vs. the G10:
rc_raw.mp3
g10_raw.mp3

Comparing the speakers... To me, the Eminence speaker sounds crispier, while the Celestion has more grind.

Back then for the recording challenge I used much different mic and mixing techniques, not to mention a much different set-up to make the sounds at the source. For the challenge I was obviously using only a single condensor mic. I'd used a cleaner amp model setting (AC15) but with distortion pedals to produce the source sound.
hiitdm_oldGtrs.mp3

This time around I used a different amp model ("80's British") and no pedals, getting distortion only from the amp (model) itself. Also, this time around I double-mic'd the amp, going with a dynamic mic dead-center on the speaker and a condensor partway across the speaker cone, and have a 50/50 mix of those two signals.
hiitdm_newGtrs.mp3

Guitars were double-tracked for both the old and new mixes, then panned to one side or the other. The "new guitars" mix has both the Eminence and the Celestion speakers, whereas the old takes would have been with only the Eminence speaker.
hiitdm_oldMix.mp3
hiitdm_newMix.mp3

Other than dropping in the new guitar tracks (and muting the old ones), I didn't change anything else about the mix itself. The new guitars are on a bus and I did a bit of EQ on that bus to trim out some lows, but the drums/bass/master-bus-fx are all the same as the old mix.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

SweetDan wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:15 pm New speaker day! Celestion G10 Greenback

Yeah I love these speakers and I'm not surprised I like how it sounds in your clips. Nicely balanced tone with that telltale Celestion sound. Good choice! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

While I slightly prefer the Celestion I think they both sound pretty nice actually.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 am @Greg_L Is this the one?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/celestion-t ... ck-speaker
I don't understand what you're asking me. :confused:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:53 am
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:48 am @Greg_L Is this the one?
https://www.andertons.co.uk/celestion-t ... ck-speaker
I don't understand what you're asking me. :confused:
That Celestion G65 speaker that I always think sounds good whenever you post a tone.
You even did a speaker shootout a while back and I really liked it against all the other speakers then.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:57 am
That Celestion G65 speaker that I always think sounds good whenever you post a tone.
You even did a speaker shootout a while back and I really liked it against all the other speakers then.
Ah ok. The G12-65.

Yes they are amazing. Keep in mind, mine are true vintage. 1980. I don't know how much that helps but it can't hurt. They are sweet and smooth and sound great.

This is the modern version:
https://celestion.com/product/heritage-series-g12-65/

The Creamback 65 is a different speaker, although quite fantastic in it's own right. It's more like a Greenback (G12M) with higher wattage handling.
https://celestion.com/product/g12m-65-creamback/
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers, found it.
https://www.andertons.co.uk/celestion-t ... 65-speaker
I'll have to check my Ohms, from memory, I think my Vintage 30s are 8Ohm though so it should be a simple swap.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:39 pm Cheers, found it.
I'll have to check my Ohms, from memory, I think my Vintage 30s are 8Ohm though so it should be a simple swap.
That's the reissue and they're pretty nice.

If you're just replacing one V30 then just get the same ohm rating with the 65.

V30s are noticeably louder than 65s though. The V30 is way more efficient. It has a beefier magnet. None of that really matters for individual speaker sound but overall the V30 will drown out the 65 in the same cab.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:49 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 12:39 pm Cheers, found it.
That's the reissue and they're pretty nice.

If you're just replacing one V30 then just get the same ohm rating with the 65.

V30s are noticeably louder than 65s though. The V30 is way more efficient. It has a beefier magnet. None of that really matters for individual speaker sound but overall the V30 will drown out the 65 in the same cab.
Yeah, I only close mic anyway. I'm pretty happy with my basic amp>cab>V30>i5 sound.
I just want to stick a different speaker in my 2x12 so I'll have something else to mic up for a different sound.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

This thing seems pretty cool for those of you hunting for bass stuff.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That is cool actually. I was looking at getting the mini-SVT rig when I get the attic conversion done but this thing seems like it'll probably be more versatile.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I saw that come up in my feed yesterday, it definitely looks interesting. I've been using Ampeg's SVT plugin a lot lately, and it looks like this has everything the plugin has plus a few more controls. And it has a thru! I love that. I've been wanting to split my bass signal into a direct and an amped signal but I never got around to getting anything to help with that. This is a really attractive option, I'll keep it in mind next time my GAS flares up.
rayc

Post by rayc »

He lost me as soon as he started slapping.
Why is it that YouTube video bassists need to demonstrate their slaphappiness?
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:25 pm He lost me as soon as he started slapping.
Why is it that YouTube video bassists need to demonstrate their slaphappiness?
Probably because that's a very popular way of playing? I don't care for it but if you're trying to demonstrate a piece of gear it makes sense to try to showcase different styles to show what it can do.

I'd be fine with just a the picking part but I know bass nerds love finger stuff.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 pm Probably because that's a very popular way of playing? I don't care for it but if you're trying to demonstrate a piece of gear it makes sense to try to showcase different styles to show what it can do.

I'd be fine with just a the picking part but I know bass nerds love finger stuff.
Yeah, I get the cross style demo but they seem to start with slap - the favoured style of Utubers.
I play 80% pick & 20% fingers but no thumb or slap.
Heaps of bassist wants to be Jaco - lead bass having played with no one outside the computer.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm
Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:15 pm Probably because that's a very popular way of playing? I don't care for it but if you're trying to demonstrate a piece of gear it makes sense to try to showcase different styles to show what it can do.

Yeah, I get the cross style demo but they seem to start with slap - the favoured style of Utubers.
Heaps of bassist wants to be Jaco - lead bass having played with no one outside the computer.
I first heard of Jaco on Ian Hunter's album... nice in small doses. Then later on Mitchell's Hejira, where he's close to going OTT in various places.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:19 pm
I first heard of Jaco on Ian Hunter's album... nice in small doses. Then later on Mitchell's Hejira, where he's close to going OTT in various places.
All American Alien Boy?
Love the album and they almost contain him on that. I can't see the value of a lead bassist playing lead throughout a song/album. It's bad enough when guitarists do it. He seems to have chosen bass because the world had enough lead guitarists.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm

I'm 100% fingers .... used a pick in my days playing prog but eventually just went to all fingers once I really got into soul and funk.

Back in the day before slap I did do some tapping which can approximate the slap thing but I never learned any slap/pop other than Lowdown
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.