The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by JD01 »

Just sounds really aggressive in a "Dick Dale - Amp about to die" kind of way.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've just had a quote from a well established amp tech re modding my Superbass to Superlead. He reckons it'll be about AUS$500 including parts etc to full Marshall Superlead spec. - Ouch.
Cheers
rayc
cakewalkKaKed
Location: wallowing in a particular insanity of any given time

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

/gooogles Dick Dale ...
rayc

Post by rayc »

cakewalkKaKed wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:05 am /gooogles Dick Dale ...
REALLY?
Cheers
rayc
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

yippers ... know now :D

╔╦╦
╠╬╬╬╣
╠╬╬╬╣OK! WHO ATE MY
╠╬╬╬╣CHOCOLATE!!
╚╩╩╩╝

^ ahahahhahaha!!! just found that on a comment on uchoob :lollers2:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:06 am I've just had a quote from a well established amp tech re modding my Superbass to Superlead. He reckons it'll be about AUS$500 including parts etc to full Marshall Superlead spec. - Ouch.
Whaaaaaaat? No way. Hold on, I'm gonna dig into it myself and see what exactly needs to be done.
Rebel Yell
SweetDan

Post by SweetDan »

Can anyone hear a significant difference between these two clips? One was with my amp in the usual position (about 1' from the wall), and the further away - about 4' from the wall.

1) a clip

2) another clip
awesome youtube comment of the day
Lol it's still less satanic than whatever rituals Katie Perry and Taylor Swift do in their performances. 😂
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

SweetDan wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:00 pm Can anyone hear a significant difference between these two clips? One was with my amp in the usual position (about 1' from the wall), and the further away - about 4' from the wall.

1) a clip

2) another clip
I hear a difference. The 4' distance from the wall is a notable bit of padding in the bottom end I don't want to use the term air but it just sounds like it has more air around it. not like, airy in the high end freq's. If that makes sense.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 am Here's the first tone I've had change to record from it. 57 on the cap edge, i5 mid way out 50/50 blend
Tone Test 1 Both Mics.mp3
holy Sufferin. Someone just flipped the tone switch on at your house. this is such a huge improvement on your sound JD. I am so late to the tone thread party i can't really bring much else to the table that hasn't been said. I am going ot have to go and see if you have anything else in here. Cheers. You must be pretty pleased with this acquisition because from where i sit, it is a game changer for you. Stoked for you buddy.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:09 pm Okay here's something a little different but more of the same but a little different but the same because I sound the same no matter what.

This is a try at a raunchy bright twangy psychosurfabilly-ish tone with the new amp. My ears are pretty tired so I don't know.

Hallmark 60 Custom - Custom "Fat Pig" ceramic single coil bridge pickup
Marshall Super Lead 100
Presence - 5
Bass - 8
Mid - 4
Treb - 6
Vol 1 - 2
Vol 2 - 0
Bright channel - high input
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion G12M Greenback
Shure SM57 on axis, 2" off grill, dustcap/cone seam - Shure SM57 45 deg off axis right next to the other one
50/50 blend
No FX or EQ in DAW

Transsexual Mutant Monster Beach Party On Mars
HlmrkSL100GB.mp3

See whatcha think
This is just wild man. Hot is the only word i got for it. Jangly and hot. :like: Face melting hot. Great addition to your wall of noise. :metal:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:23 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:24 am Here's the first tone I've had change to record from it. 57 on the cap edge, i5 mid way out 50/50 blend
Tone Test 1 Both Mics.mp3
holy Sufferin. Someone just flipped the tone switch on at your house. this is such a huge improvement on your sound JD. I am so late to the tone thread party i can't really bring much else to the table that hasn't been said. I am going ot have to go and see if you have anything else in here. Cheers. You must be pretty pleased with this acquisition because from where i sit, it is a game changer for you. Stoked for you buddy.
Cheers WJ
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:10 pm

This is just wild man. Hot is the only word i got for it. Jangly and hot. :like: Face melting hot. Great addition to your wall of noise. :metal:
Ha thanks dude. I'm still figuring it out but I'm liking everything it does so far. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I've just asked another tech for a quote to mod my Superbass. This chap did some work on it a few years back when it fritzed two power tubes and kept blowing fuses when connected to an attenuator. Hopefully it'll be more in the realm of a mod that a price that seemed more like a replacement.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:20 am I've just asked another tech for a quote to mod my Superbass. This chap did some work on it a few years back when it fritzed two power tubes and kept blowing fuses when connected to an attenuator. Hopefully it'll be more in the realm of a mod that a price that seemed more like a replacement.
Shit, sorry Ray, I forgot to investigate your mod. I will today.

Not that I'm an amp tech or anything, but I can probably get an idea of what needs to be done.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

You know what kind of stinks. Is just when you think you have your amp figured out, you get a little light bulb moment and it changes everything. I spent an hour or two just getting reacquainted with my room / guitars and getting some ideas out of my head and i had a blast. I seriously need to make more time for this shit cause i miss the hell out of it.

An observation i made that jumped out at me i want to share and compare with all you guys. I moved my mic again. I thought i found a nice sweet spot but i am not sure what the frig i was looking at through the grill but it wasn't where i thought it was. So now..100% positive i have it on the seam of cap and the cone. but more like 65% of the SM57 is on the cone. I also dialed back the bass on the eq back a few notches and things are really coming together, things are chiming in much more clear. It's still Orange and it still has that little Orange feel to it's sound but it's coming.

Now here is where i am noticing more science. With my mic placed here, i am hearing WAY, WAY! more of all my guitars individual characteristics. That old Ibanez PF350 comes through like way hotter than i have ever heard it. Ever. I am still sort of skepitcal of the three way switch on that thing works but regardless it sounds hot. My stock P90's on my LP are bit more dark? Same with my Epi. Though i might say the Epi's stock buckers might be a smidge brighter than the P90's.

Moral of the story is the countless tweaks seem to just keep going and keep getting better. I am sure you are all thinking "where's the clips" but trust me wen i say i am doing you a favor, i was trying to kill lots of birds with one stone and i was writing riffs as well as meddling with tone and they aren't really fully cooked eggs, and my library of generic stock riffs for tone samples is not vast and i improvise and noodle about as well as i sole astro physics.

I'll get some up soon though and maybe give you the old tone i thought was good and the new ones. the difference is almost embarrassing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:10 pm You know what kind of stinks. Is just when you think you have your amp figured out, you get a little light bulb moment and it changes everything. I spent an hour or two just getting reacquainted with my room / guitars and getting some ideas out of my head and i had a blast. I seriously need to make more time for this shit cause i miss the hell out of it.

An observation i made that jumped out at me i want to share and compare with all you guys. I moved my mic again. I thought i found a nice sweet spot but i am not sure what the frig i was looking at through the grill but it wasn't where i thought it was. So now..100% positive i have it on the seam of cap and the cone. but more like 65% of the SM57 is on the cone. I also dialed back the bass on the eq back a few notches and things are really coming together, things are chiming in much more clear. It's still Orange and it still has that little Orange feel to it's sound but it's coming.

Now here is where i am noticing more science. With my mic placed here, i am hearing WAY, WAY! more of all my guitars individual characteristics. That old Ibanez PF350 comes through like way hotter than i have ever heard it. Ever. I am still sort of skepitcal of the three way switch on that thing works but regardless it sounds hot. My stock P90's on my LP are bit more dark? Same with my Epi. Though i might say the Epi's stock buckers might be a smidge brighter than the P90's.

Moral of the story is the countless tweaks seem to just keep going and keep getting better. I am sure you are all thinking "where's the clips" but trust me wen i say i am doing you a favor, i was trying to kill lots of birds with one stone and i was writing riffs as well as meddling with tone and they aren't really fully cooked eggs, and my library of generic stock riffs for tone samples is not vast and i improvise and noodle about as well as i sole astro physics.

I'll get some up soon though and maybe give you the old tone i thought was good and the new ones. the difference is almost embarrassing.
Never stop tweaking things and learning. Happy accidents happen all the time. :happytrees: :happytrees:
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Yeah Shan, always try different stuff, I've had a lot of happy accidents with my guitar amps dude...

You need to try to do the recording/guitar/whatever thing more often too, it's a great escape from the stress of being overworked... :coolstorybro:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Thanks guy, yea i was totally in my own place yesterday. the whole day was a me day. Well, i spent some quality time with the wife and dog as well, but yea, i need to MAKE the time. It'll happen once the basement is done and she is happy with that.

Each time i sit down and tinker, things start sounding better. the only thing i am finding with the AD30 that i can't seem to get away from, is it has this little nuance to it that i can only describe as like "carton-y" I don't want to say honk, cause it isn't honk. And it isn't really that odd little muddy area in the 350 to 500hz range. it is just this little orange "carton sound" it is pointless to talk about it right now with out a sample but i found this old one fro mthe guess the tone settings contest and it has trace amounts of the sound i am hearing.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm Thanks guy, yea i was totally in my own place yesterday. the whole day was a me day. Well, i spent some quality time with the wife and dog as well, but yea, i need to MAKE the time. It'll happen once the basement is done and she is happy with that.

Each time i sit down and tinker, things start sounding better. the only thing i am finding with the AD30 that i can't seem to get away from, is it has this little nuance to it that i can only describe as like "carton-y" I don't want to say honk, cause it isn't honk. And it isn't really that odd little muddy area in the 350 to 500hz range. it is just this little orange "carton sound" it is pointless to talk about it right now with out a sample but i found this old one fro mthe guess the tone settings contest and it has trace amounts of the sound i am hearing.
I think that sounds pretty good. Sounds like an Orange to me. Thick in the low mids but not really muddy.
Rebel Yell
cakewalkKaKed

Post by cakewalkKaKed »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:07 pm found this old one fro mthe guess the tone settings contest and it has trace amounts of the sound i am hearing[/url].
sounds great :) ... just put that in daw,added a lil comp on a sub bus and delayed the right side on the master ... it sounds bloody great to me :D