The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 am OK, here's my first attempt at sounding vaguely like early Pearl Jam. I'm not going for the awful 80s hangover production of the original, I want something more akin to the remix of the album that Brendan O'Brien did about 15 years ago which is more like their punky live sound.

This is with the tele on the neck pickup. I'm gonna try it on the bridge pickup shortly - This is as much gain as I can get without it feeding back uncontrollably in my little room.

EF Tone Test.mp3

Here's the bridge pickup on the tele. I think I might play both parts on my Crimson but dial the hi guitar in in a slightly different way.

EF Tone Test Bridge.mp3
I guess either one sounds ok to me. Did they record that song with a Tele?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:21 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 am OK, here's my first attempt at sounding vaguely like early Pearl Jam. I'm not going for the awful 80s hangover production of the original, I want something more akin to the remix of the album that Brendan O'Brien did about 15 years ago which is more like their punky live sound.

This is with the tele on the neck pickup. I'm gonna try it on the bridge pickup shortly - This is as much gain as I can get without it feeding back uncontrollably in my little room.

EF Tone Test.mp3

Here's the bridge pickup on the tele. I think I might play both parts on my Crimson but dial the hi guitar in in a slightly different way.

EF Tone Test Bridge.mp3
I like the neck pick up one the gooderest. The bridge sounds a bit brittle and thin to my ears. Neck has a bit more body and still has that little something to push it thru the mix. You going to do a full cover of this one ?
Probably, I'm looking forward to relearning all the lead bits. Took me bloody ages and I probably never quite mastered them when I was about 17.
Just did a quiet guide vocal earlier just so I could tell where I was in the song as I was playing. I think the first line of the verses is a little high for me at F#
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:00 pm

EF Tone Test.mp3

EF Tone Test Bridge.mp3
I guess either one sounds ok to me. Did they record that song with a Tele?
I'd hazard a guess Mike McCready recorded his parts on a strat. But I've no idea really.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:22 pm
I'd hazard a guess Mike McCready recorded his parts on a strat. But I've no idea really.
I just listened to the original. It doesn't sound very stratty to me, but I suppose it could be. It doesn't really sound very Fendery at all, but it does sound single-coil-ish. Could maybe be something with a P90.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:50 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:22 pm
I just listened to the original. It doesn't sound very stratty to me, but I suppose it could be. It doesn't really sound very Fendery at all, but it does sound single-coil-ish. Could maybe be something with a P90.
He's known to play a '59 Jr.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:32 pm
There ya go. That very well could be the sound. It does kind of sound like Jr P90 would sound.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:34 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:32 pm
There ya go. That very well could be the sound. It does kind of sound like Jr P90 would sound.
Sod it. I'll try it with a Humbucker into a TubeScreamer next.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:47 pm
Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:34 pm

HanTaun could do some heavy lifting there as well.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:35 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:47 pm
HanTaun could do some heavy lifting there as well.
Yeah, I think I'm gonna use the HanTaun for the low guitar part with a bridge humbucker but the OCD with the bridge humbucker for the high part. The OCD is pretty aggressive when you push it up a bit so it should probably suit the song pretty well.
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:22 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:52 am Had a friend order that amp ..... he sent it back after an hour

Don't blame him, it is kind of a rubbish amp. :dislike:
BUT it's a tube amp for a small fee.
I haven't the ears for such but it sounded okay and even better when he demos the Harley Benton Mosrite knock off...
I'd have been stoked as a teen to have had something like it.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:21 pm You going to do a full cover of this one ?
The guitar solo is really hard...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, been doing a bit more work on this. Main thing, I reckon they use way more gain that I've used for years, particularly on the studio recording - they use a lot less now and they play it a lot faster too.

So,
OCD and TS.mp3
Dodgy Old Wah.mp3
Verse Fills With Wah.mp3
Decided to just use the bridge humbucker on my Crimson for everything - the guitars are never playing the same thing at any point in this song.
While the Hand Taun is a smoother overdrive I decided to go for the OCD and a TubeScreamer on this as I reckon this guitars need to sound a bit gnarly.

Also, my dodgy old re-wired wah sounds fine in a mix even though its scratchy has hell and basically not fun to play when I'm just noodling.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Sounds pretty good. Are you trying to "nail" their tones or just get something that works?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:40 am Sounds pretty good. Are you trying to "nail" their tones or just get something that works?
I'd like it to be vaguely reminicient of the original - but the riff is distinctive enough for that - mainly I just want something that works and sounds decent. The tones actually aren't that great on the original mix, bit muddy and awash with reverb... that being said, it sounds great on the Brendan O'Brien remix.

I'm most surprised by how tidy my old wah wah sounds in a mix. That's saved me 150 quid - I really was expecting to order a new wah this week but just fancied checking it first and maybe recording a rough draft with it.

Now... time to learn that solo - I may be some time.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Sounds fine & yes, a little more defined than the original.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

First tone test with the Mustang. I try to play pretty similar stuff, just a few chords that came off the cuff started on the neck pick then I played the same thing on both pickups, then the bridge pickup, then the daft out of phase setting.

Then I widdle a bit on the neck up, widdle a bit on the bridge pickup, then add an overdrive, widdle a bit more before playing some power chord stuff.
Mustang Tone Test 1.mp3
Just my normal settings on the H&K overdrive channel into an i5 with nothing added in the DAW.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

My initial thoughts, the neck pickup sounds pretty nice, might need to be careful with it in a mix 'cos its a little flubby but its fine with slight crunch.
I really like both pickups together I think I'll use that a fair bit.
Bridge pickup is savagely bright and pushes the amp harder than I was expecting - will probably be fine in a mix, but its a little harsh in the room.
Both pickups out of phase just sounds naff.

Don't think it copes with loads of gain for rhythm - just sounds totally OTT.
Last edited by JD01 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It sounds a lot like a Strat.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Yeah I could see uses for both of the pickups individually, but on a clean dry setting the out of phase doesn't sound much use - there may be other ways of using it.

Whatever you're doing from 2.16 sounds useful as well. Think that's before you do the overdrive, which also works.

I'm sure it'll work well in mixes for certain types of music. And it's a stepping stone to that Jazzmaster, cardigan, teen angst and bum fluff on your chin style that I know you'll want to be aiming for. :wink:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Armistice wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:56 am Yeah I could see uses for both of the pickups individually, but on a clean dry setting the out of phase doesn't sound much use - there may be other ways of using it.

Whatever you're doing from 2.16 sounds useful as well. Think that's before you do the overdrive, which also works.

I'm sure it'll work well in mixes for certain types of music. And it's a stepping stone to that Jazzmaster, cardigan, teen angst and bum fluff on your chin style that I know you'll want to be aiming for. :wink:
The stuff from 2:16 is just the bridge pickup but played quite aggressively.

You're right - I think I'll start bonging again... not sure the mrs will approve