The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Minerman

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 pmI don't have the big Jube at home anymore, but I'll see it on friday. I'll check it out. Remind me before then.
Cool dude, if I don't forget myself... :biggrin: Don't go through any trouble at all for it though dude...
Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:35 pmI just got a new set of toobz for my 800. I'll put up some fresh tones with it maybe tomorrow or wednesday.
That's cool too man, I'd say I have one of your 800 clips with a Greenback/57/i5/609, but would have to search the clips to be sure...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm Ha that's very spandexy. Nice tones. Fits the style very good.
I meant to ask what you thought of the drums & bass too...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:47 pm
I meant to ask what you thought of the drums & bass too...
I'll give it another listen tomorrow.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Okay miner, I got the 800 retubed. It needed it! Man these power tubes were wasted. Lol. It's biased up perfectly with a lot of room to spare. I had the bias pot almost maxxed out with those old tubes. They were very tired. And I broke one of the old preamp tubes - dropped it. No big deal. I'll just take it apart now and have a look at the plates and cathodes and grids and all that good shit.

Anyway, clips later.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:09 pm Okay miner, I got the 800 retubed. It needed it! Man these power tubes were wasted. Lol. It's biased up perfectly with a lot of room to spare. I had the bias pot almost maxxed out with those old tubes. They were very tired. And I broke one of the old preamp tubes - dropped it. No big deal. I'll just take it apart now and have a look at the plates and cathodes and grids and all that good shit.

Anyway, clips later.
Cool dude, I've started my little comparison, but a new clip would be welcome too... :minernuggs:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:07 pm
Cool dude, I've started my little comparison, but a new clip would be welcome too... :minernuggs:
What speaker/mics do you want me to use?
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ok here's the 800...at like gig loudness. Not quite as loud as my usual loudness, but still pretty friggin loud.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional - Burstbucker 3 bridge pickup
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Pres - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treb - 5
Master vol - 4
Preamp vol - 7
Marshall 1960A 4x12 - Celestion Greenbacks
Audix i5 on axis, 1" off grill, dustcap/cone - Shure SM57 on axis, 1" off grill, cone halfway to edge
50/50 blend
No EQ or FX
LP800GBi557.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:31 pm
Minerman wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:07 pm
What speaker/mics do you want me to use?
Sorry dude, didn't see this post in time (& it doesn't matter because I have what you used), but a greenback with 57/i5/609 will work...
Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm Ok here's the 800...at like gig loudness. Not quite as loud as my usual loudness, but still pretty friggin loud.

Marshall JCM 800 2203
Pres - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treb - 5
Master vol - 4
Preamp vol - 7
Audix i5 on axis, 1" off grill, dustcap/cone - Shure SM57 on axis, 1" off grill, cone halfway to edge
50/50 blend
No EQ or FX

LP800GBi557.mp3
I'll give it a whirl in a little while dude, thanks!!!
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg,
that sounds very cool. The playing and tuning also have a positive impact, but the amp sounds great.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:33 pm Greg,
that sounds very cool. The playing and tuning also have a positive impact, but the amp sounds great.
Thanks Ray. :coolstorybro:

The 800 is the amp I'd keep if I had to sell off everything else. No doubt about it.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have missed so much.

I went back about 3 pages, noteable standout is miners last bandcamp clip. that shit sounds spit polished and pristine. It made me really appreciate high gain kinda sounds.
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:23 pm Ok here's the 800...at like gig loudness. Not quite as loud as my usual loudness, but still pretty friggin loud.

Marshall JCM 800 2203
Pres - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treb - 5
Master vol - 4
Preamp vol - 7
50/50 blend
No EQ or FX

LP800GBi557.mp3
(i replied to this last night? i think the post got eaten)

Whats the riff? You write that? I like the way it starts out.

Tone actually sounded a little darker for you. but it could have just been my ears after playing with that cabinet? Was this after the retubing and stuff? is there an A/B ? liek a before and after retubing. that might have been cool? Or maybe i didn't go back far enough?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Marshall JCM 800 2203
Pres - 5
Bass - 7
Mid - 7
Treb - 5
Master vol - 4
Preamp vol - 7
50/50 blend
No EQ or FX

LP800GBi557.mp3
That sounds great. Particularly on the muted section.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:37 pm

(i replied to this last night? i think the post got eaten)

Whats the riff? You write that? I like the way it starts out.

Tone actually sounded a little darker for you. but it could have just been my ears after playing with that cabinet? Was this after the retubing and stuff? is there an A/B ? liek a before and after retubing. that might have been cool? Or maybe i didn't go back far enough?
Thanks dude. This was after retubing and there is no A/B. I just banged it out. It's pretty thick and that comes from the two mics fully blended. It's like a wallop of midrange. In a real mix I'd tailor the blend a little better.

It's not my riff. I wish it was. It's a Dictators song called "Avenue A".
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 pm
That sounds great. Particularly on the muted section.
Thanks man. JCM 800 - the perfect punk rock amp. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:09 pm Thanks man. JCM 800 - the perfect punk rock amp. :coolstorybro:
I think you need to qualify that... its perfect if you have a 1960A and the space/neighbours to crank it!

I've been looking on eBay today. There's Dual Recs on there that are in my budget... but they're just too loud and impractical for me.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm
I think you need to qualify that... its perfect if you have a 1960A and the space/neighbours to crank it!
Yeah maybe. But it's not the amp's fault that sometimes the situation is imperfect for it. :coolstorybro:
I've been looking on eBay today. There's Dual Recs on there that are in my budget... but they're just too loud and impractical for me.
Yeah you don't want a full size Dual Rec. See any minis on there?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:21 pm
JD01 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm
Yeah maybe. But it's not the amp's fault that sometimes the situation is imperfect for it. :coolstorybro:
Yeah you don't want a full size Dual Rec. See any minis on there?
Yeah, there are a few minis and Marks but they're well over a grand still - holding their value much better.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Hey minerman, it's baaaaaack!
jube.jpg
Actually, it's got a problem. It blew the HT fuse last night. We were having bad weather so maybe there was a voltage spike or something. I replaced the fuse and then it worked again, but it makes this intermittent pop-pop-pop-pop low frequency helicopter sound at idle. So I'm gonna try to figure it out. Not that I know anything about anything. :eep: :sherlock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:07 pm Hey minerman, it's baaaaaack!
Actually, it's got a problem. It blew the HT fuse last night. We were having bad weather so maybe there was a voltage spike or something. I replaced the fuse and then it worked again, but it makes this intermittent pop-pop-pop-pop low frequency helicopter sound at idle. So I'm gonna try to figure it out. Not that I know anything about anything. :eep: :sherlock:
That sucks about the amp having issues, but it will give us some insight if you figure out the problem & fix it...

I've been under the weather over here for a day or two & still feel kinda shitty, but I'm working on the JCM800/Mini Jube comparison clips...I had a look in the "Gerg" folder, & I found 10 other clips of your JCM800...Some are using different speakers instead of the Greenback, but I have those too (G12-65, G12H, V30), but won't make any clips on my end with those because of the bottom/low end loss using the ISO cab (plus I'd have to put the speakers back in the Bastard cab)...

There's nothing confirmed or "official", but I may be moving to another place before too long & when that finally does happen, I may end up keeping my 4x12's instead of going with 2x12's like I keep yapping about...I'm not really sure about it because I don't want my tones to suffer due to a smaller cab...I've even been thinking of selling my EVH cab, while it does sound great I'm not sure it gives me anything the "Bastard" cab & older Greenback didn't...If I could sell it, I'd have a big chunk of the $$$ to buy a couple of those 2061x 2x12 cabs from Sour Mash...

The new EL34 amps that are popping up are making me really pay attention to 'em...If the new 50w Marshall Origin heads sound good like the Mini Jube does (IMO anyway), I'm probably gonna end up with one...I just realized the power scaling on those amps have 3 positions instead of 2 like the Mini Jube...The 50w Origin's front panel says "50/10/1w" next to the toggle switch & that amp has a few features I've been looking for (EL34's, power scaling, plexi-ish sound)...On top of that, the 50w head is a lot cheaper than I expected at $650...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 pm
That sucks about the amp having issues, but it will give us some insight if you figure out the problem & fix it...

I'm not 100% sure there even is an issue. I played it a bunch this afternoon with no problems.

I'm wondering if the combination of thunderstorm and dirty power in an overloaded garage made the amp pop the fuse and make weird noises. :confused:

Also, this big Jubilee does get weird when you pull the rhythm clip on the lead channel. It drops a little volume and thins out. Not a good sound. The lead channel is good on it's own, and the rhythm clip apparently needs to just stay with the clean channel.
Rebel Yell