The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:24 pm It definitely needs more mid scoop IMO if you're trying for that tone. Yours is middy and duller than the original's tones, which are scooped but not too fizzy. I haven't heard that song in about twenty years so I youtubed it and it's pretty good tones for scooped metal shit. They're scooped but smooth.
Yeah - I didn't want to go quite that scooped! I still want to use a tone that I quite like an is useable for me, I think with the gain rolled back a bit (and maybe a touch more mids) it could be a useful tone for me. Won't take long to scoop them more to see what happens though. What I don't know how to do is remove the slight dullness without adding fizz.

I think I got it in my head to do a cover of this after that video came out about the dual micing through an outboard mixer - I had a few hours spare one evening before I went away so did the drums and bass... obviously in my mix I'm planning on the bass actually being audible!

I'll post up the full mix of the drums, bass, clean and rhythm guitars if you're interested - haven't done the lead guitars or the vocals yet though.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:09 pm
Yeah - I didn't want to go quite that scooped! I still want to use a tone that I quite like an is useable for me, I think with the gain rolled back a bit (and maybe a touch more mids) it could be a useful tone for me. Won't take long to scoop them more to see what happens though. What I don't know how to do is remove the slight dullness without adding fizz.

I think I got it in my head to do a cover of this after that video came out about the dual micing through an outboard mixer - I had a few hours spare one evening before I went away so did the drums and bass... obviously in my mix I'm planning on the bass actually being audible!

I'll post up the full mix of the drums, bass, clean and rhythm guitars if you're interested - haven't done the lead guitars or the vocals yet though.
I think if you split the difference between what you have and how Metallica's guitars sound you'd be in a good spot for a Sandman cover.

I haven't totally abandoned the outboard mixer method yet. I didn't like it, but I'm still gonna give it another try.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm sure you're right, maybe I'll try rolling the mids back a touch more, I'm at 9 o'clock now.. maybe I'll add a hint more treble in too, I normally have it at just over 3 o clock and now it's more like 2 o clock.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:45 am I had a go at a Metallica tone today and I'm actually pretty pleased with it. Spent some time dialing it in this morning using my emulated out and then switched to mics to do proper takes with it - seems to be a good system for me that actually as I can spend time cocking about with knobs without pissing off the mrs/neighbours.

Anyway, mine isn't quite as scooped as the original, but this is as scooped as I want to get.
Exit Shite - Tone 1.mp3
I have noticed that my emulated out isn't anywhere near as bad as I used to think it was - although its not great, I think I've just got better at dialing a tone in. Also the emulated out has more of the low mid blackstar boxiness in it - using mics is a bit more scoopy and also seems to have a touch more gain.
That's pretty good Jdude, I think it needs a little high end though...
I've said it before, but I think you've found your zone with your setup dude... :minernuggs:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I did.
Last edited by rayc on Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:05 pm That's pretty good Jdude, I think it needs a little high end though...
I've said it before, but I think you've found your zone with your setup dude... :minernuggs:
Yeah - I might have another pass or two at re-tracking the guitars to this with a "touch" more treble, not sure I want to reduce the mids much more but it can't hurt to try.

Don't think I can do much more with the setup I have now though - should be able to get a new amp at either the start of march or April depending on how much money I spend in Portugal in February. Would like to try and keep my Blackstar when I get a new amp... although I'll probably never use it once I get used to the new amp.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ray, tune the guitar for christ's sake! Or is it just the intonation on that Bullet?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah I agree. The guitar/intonation is so out of tune it actually makes it hard to really hear what the amp is doing.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 am Yeah - I might have another pass or two at re-tracking the guitars to this with a "touch" more treble, not sure I want to reduce the mids much more but it can't hurt to try.

Don't think I can do much more with the setup I have now though - should be able to get a new amp at either the start of march or April depending on how much money I spend in Portugal in February. Would like to try and keep my Blackstar when I get a new amp... although I'll probably never use it once I get used to the new amp.
You've got a good setup right now Jdude, your tones are pretty consistent across the board...It'd be great if you can get another amp, but I'd think really long & hard before I got rid of a main cog in your tone machine dude...We've all watched & followed your process of getting where your are now...You've put a considerable amount of time & $$$ into your rig, again, think long & hard before you decide to trade/sell anything until you're absolutely sure about it...

In short, get another amp, but keep what you have now too...It may take you longer, but it'll be worth it in the long run dude...You've got your "core" or "base" tone right now, anything else (like a new amp) is just icing to your cake...

I thought the Mini Jube would replace my EVH amp, but it really didn't...It does things the EVH can't & vice versa...It adds another flavor that compliments what I already had...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:24 am Yeah - I might have another pass or two at re-tracking the guitars to this with a "touch" more treble, not sure I want to reduce the mids much more but it can't hurt to try.

You've got a good setup right now Jdude, your tones are pretty consistent across the board...It'd be great if you can get another amp, but I'd think really long & hard before I got rid of a main cog in your tone machine dude...We've all watched & followed your process of getting where your are now...You've put a considerable amount of time & $$$ into your rig, again, think long & hard before you decide to trade/sell anything until you're absolutely sure about it...

In short, get another amp, but keep what you have now too...It may take you longer, but it'll be worth it in the long run dude...You've got your "core" or "base" tone right now, anything else (like a new amp) is just icing to your cake...

I thought the Mini Jube would replace my EVH amp, but it really didn't...It does things the EVH can't & vice versa...It adds another flavor that compliments what I already had...
I hear what you're saying, mate - but I really don't have the space for many different amps at home. One of the things that steers me towards the 50W MK2 Blackstar is that it will be less of a learning curve when I get it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:41 am
I hear what you're saying, mate - but I really don't have the space for many different amps at home. One of the things that steers me towards the 50W MK2 Blackstar is that it will be less of a learning curve when I get it.
Just get what you really want that makes the sound you really want. Don't settle.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:41 am
Just get what you really want that makes the sound you really want. Don't settle.
This x 1,000,000 dude...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:23 am
Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:48 am

This x 1,000,000 dude...
Yeah - the last time I tried amps I was very happy with the mini-Jube and the low gain crunchy sound seemed to really suit me. That Metallica tone I posted is more gain than I'll ever need for my own stuff and the gain was on less than 1/2 on the amp.

Anyway, when I do go for a new amp, which I do definitely want, I'll be taking my guitar, cab and board with me to test stuff..
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 am You've put a considerable amount of time & $$$ into your rig
Just thinking, aside from my guitar which I agree is ridiculous, my rig is generally pretty cheap. I've got the one of the cheapest valve amps available, the cheapest 2x12 available and a bunch of cheap pedals.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This just cam up in my YouTube feed:
[BBvideo=560,315]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZrEPmj8epA&t=2s[/BBvideo]
Its just instrumental jams by Johan, but its actually quite nice listening to great tones through raging amps while I'm working even though its not the sort of thing I'd normally listen to - the tones are awesome.

Its just something nice and passive to listen to while I'm working.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:27 am
Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:18 am You've put a considerable amount of time & $$$ into your rig
Just thinking, aside from my guitar which I agree is ridiculous, my rig is generally pretty cheap. I've got the one of the cheapest valve amps available, the cheapest 2x12 available and a bunch of cheap pedals.
I'm sure you could replace anything you have in your rig dude except for the time you've put into learning to use it...I still recommend keeping what you have & adding to it though...

Whatever you decide to do, I'm positive you'll get the best out of it man, your tones have improved leaps & bounds in just the last little while...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Ok, here's a clip with the "new" Ibanez :biggrin: ran through the Mini Jubilee & EVH cab...Both guitars were ran through the exact same signal chain...I recorded the Ibanez, unplugged it, then plugged the SG in & hit record again...Only 1 mic for this, but I'm pretty happy how it turned out, even in 5w mode the little Marshall sounds good to me...

Left guitar: Gibson SG
Right guitar: Ibanez RG350DX (Duncan Custom Custom bridge p'up)

Guitar > SD-1 > Marshall 2525H > 4x12 (EVH Greenback) > SM57

Boss SD-1:
Drive: 0
Tone: 5
Level: 10

5w mode
Clean/Rhythm Channel w/Rhythm Clip ON
Presence: 5
Bass: 6
Mid: 6
Treble: 5
Output Master: 6
Lead Master: 5 (this doesn't matter for the clean/rhythm channel)
Gain: 8

I've found a little glitch in my Mini Jubilee, playing through the lead channel, there's a slight drop in gain/volume & bass when the rhythm clip is engaged...It shouldn't affect the lead channel at all, but it does...I don't think it's anything to worry about, but I just think it's a bit odd...

I wish I could turn the rhythm clip on/off with a footswitch, that'd almost make this thing a 3-channel amp...I'm sure it could be done, but I ain't gonna go fucking around inside this little thing, I'd end up fucking it up... :smiles:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Ha that's very spandexy. Nice tones. Fits the style very good.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm Ha that's very spandexy. Nice tones. Fits the style very good.
Thanks Greg, I know it's still the "new" thing, but the more I play through the Mini Jubilee, the more I like it...It seems to be a really good fit for my needs...It's still a loud tube amp, but it's nowhere near as loud as the 50/100w amps I've had, but still sounds good at a reasonable volume...

The low-end issue I'd been having is definitely the ISO cab, ran through the 4x12 it sounds/feels like an amp should to me...This makes me wonder if a 2x12 will thump like that & makes me think I just need to keep the cabs I have...

I like the Ibanez, but as soon as I plugged the SG in today, it made me stop to pay attention with a big smile...Getting what I hear in the room on tape is the problem, but it definitely has some of the JCM800 character...I'm gonna use a tone or two of your JCM800 to see how close I can get with my gear...

Do you still have access to the big Jubilee??? I'm wondering if any of the other amps do the gain/bass loss with the rhythm clip engaged...It shouldn't affect the lead channel but it does...Don't go through any trouble to take it home just for that, but the next time you're around it, lemme know if the big Jube does that...I'll make a little clip tomorrow...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm
Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm Ha that's very spandexy. Nice tones. Fits the style very good.
Thanks Greg, I know it's still the "new" thing, but the more I play through the Mini Jubilee, the more I like it...It seems to be a really good fit for my needs...It's still a loud tube amp, but it's nowhere near as loud as the 50/100w amps I've had, but still sounds good at a reasonable volume...

The low-end issue I'd been having is definitely the ISO cab, ran through the 4x12 it sounds/feels like an amp should to me...This makes me wonder if a 2x12 will thump like that & makes me think I just need to keep the cabs I have...

I like the Ibanez, but as soon as I plugged the SG in today, it made me stop to pay attention with a big smile...Getting what I hear in the room on tape is the problem, but it definitely has some of the JCM800 character...I'm gonna use a tone or two of your JCM800 to see how close I can get with my gear...

Do you still have access to the big Jubilee??? I'm wondering if any of the other amps do the gain/bass loss with the rhythm clip engaged...It shouldn't affect the lead channel but it does...Don't go through any trouble to take it home just for that, but the next time you're around it, lemme know if the big Jube does that...I'll make a little clip tomorrow...
I don't have the big Jube at home anymore, but I'll see it on friday. I'll check it out. Remind me before then.

I just got a new set of toobz for my 800. I'll put up some fresh tones with it maybe tomorrow or wednesday.
Rebel Yell