The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
ShanPeyton

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by ShanPeyton »

Yea man. I ended up having a buddy build me an -20db attenuator to put into my signal chain from the mic to my interface. It helped tremdously in terms of not having to put my preamp to 0. I think i just can't find a suitable spot to put the mic.

here is a pic of the homemade I watched him make it. It's just some old XLR cables and a carboard box from a guitar pick up he had laying around. :lol:

Frig. I tried attaching the picture but it is too big. I'll resize it on my lunch.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

I'd like to hear a clip of your amp without any extra EQ and the controls set like this:

Bass= 1 O'clock
mid= 12 O'clock
Treble= 1 O'clock
ISF= 12 O'clock

If you could record 1 clip of the amp mic'd and 1 of the emulated out that would be great. I think that it would help to pin down the cause of your tone issues.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote:I'd like to hear a clip of your amp without any extra EQ and the controls set like this:

Bass= 1 O'clock
mid= 12 O'clock
Treble= 1 O'clock
ISF= 12 O'clock

If you could record 1 clip of the amp mic'd and 1 of the emulated out that would be great. I think that it would help to pin down the cause of your tone issues.
Ok, I'll do it on Thursday night or Friday morning. I should get home on Thursday night.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

ocnor wrote:I'd like to hear a clip of your amp without any extra EQ and the controls set like this:

Bass= 1 O'clock
mid= 12 O'clock
Treble= 1 O'clock
ISF= 12 O'clock

This post is worthy of a liking function. Good one ocnor.
:happytrees:
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

I finally got around to listen to these Jdude, & they all have the same boxy-ness you've been fighting forever dude...They're not terrible, but IMHO you need to post-eq some of the boxy-ness out if you can't get it out of the source...

The only amp I ever had any luck using a condenser with was the 1 watt Marshall DSL1-H, using my home-made ISO cab...Even with the low-watt Tweaker & EVH amps, they just couldn't handle the SPL's...A pad would probably come in really handy if you were dead set on using condenser mics though if you were able to attenuate the mic's level...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Minerman wrote:I finally got around to listen to these Jdude, & they all have the same boxy-ness you've been fighting forever dude...They're not terrible, but IMHO you need to post-eq some of the boxy-ness out if you can't get it out of the source...
This is probably true. I'm as much a get-it-right-at-the-source nazi as anyone, maybe more, but you may wanna also really focus on EQ tweaks in the DAW to finalize your tone. Hey, that's what EQ is for. Ideally we could all just record and not do anything to it, but sometimes you gotta do some EQing.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: This is probably true. I'm as much a get-it-right-at-the-source nazi as anyone, maybe more, but you may wanna also really focus on EQ tweaks in the DAW to finalize your tone. Hey, that's what EQ is for. Ideally we could all just record and not do anything to it, but sometimes you gotta do some EQing.
Yep, since I started using a 4x12 about 3 years ago, I've always noticed a woofy, low-mid hump in all my guitar tracks...I thought it was just the cab/speaker/mic, but the EVH cab has it too...It could be the way I dial the tonestack in, the guitar, it could just be the way I play, I dunno, but I seem to notch out around 300hz or so on a regular basis...This is kind of a fine line too, as if I cut too much, the tone loses it's chunk...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote:I finally got around to listen to these Jdude, & they all have the same boxy-ness you've been fighting forever dude...They're not terrible, but IMHO you need to post-eq some of the boxy-ness out if you can't get it out of the source...

The only amp I ever had any luck using a condenser with was the 1 watt Marshall DSL1-H, using my home-made ISO cab...Even with the low-watt Tweaker & EVH amps, they just couldn't handle the SPL's...A pad would probably come in really handy if you were dead set on using condenser mics though if you were able to attenuate the mic's level...
I really don't want to use post eq though, I want to just get it right... Although I'm probably getting a bit OCD about this.

I think ocnors idea is a pretty good one, to kind of go back to the start and see what I get then work out from there. I know Liv Rong doesn't have anything like the problems I have with it either.
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

Knackers! Jimi just bumped the old tone thread and Robus responded to him. And people wonder why I dislike the guy.
Haggard Musician :mad:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bubba wrote:Knackers! Jimi just bumped the old tone thread and Robus responded to him. And people wonder why I dislike the guy.
haha, I feel some trolling coming on.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Bubba wrote:Knackers! Jimi is trying to fuck a dead horse and Robus is cheering him on.
What actually happened ^^^^
:happytrees:
miroslav

Post by miroslav »

WhiskeyJack wrote:
Bubba wrote:Knackers! Jimi is trying to fuck a dead horse and Robus is cheering him on.
What actually happened ^^^^

Yeah...that's more accurate. :D

And now Broken H is bumping it...
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This is a bit of a new one for The Tone Thread - certainly hasn't happened often: Acoustic tones.

This is my Martin into a AKG C1000S. I haven't recorded much acoustic so I'm starting with aiming at the 12th fret and seeing how I get on.

On every clip the mic is about 15 - 20cm from the guitar. I don't even know how you're supposed to point this mic so I've tried two things.

Mic upright, hard pick (2mm gravity)

Mic pointing at the guitar, hard pick

Mic upright, soft pick (1mm dunlop nylon)

Mic pointing at the guitar, soft pick

Pointing at the guitar is seems to be much louder and would probably be clipping if I didn't have a limiter on it.

Tell me what you think. Cheers, guys.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Those all sound pretty good to me. You've got the mic pretty close for acoustic miking. Back it off like twice that distance. Turn the pre down if you're close to clipping.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote:Those all sound pretty good to me. You've got the mic pretty close for acoustic miking. Back it off like twice that distance. Turn the pre down if you're close to clipping.
Yeah, it's a really good guitar. I'll mess about with it more later on and in the morning
ido1957

Post by ido1957 »

JD01 wrote:This is a bit of a new one for The Tone Thread - certainly hasn't happened often: Acoustic tones.

This is my Martin into a AKG C1000S. I haven't recorded much acoustic so I'm starting with aiming at the 12th fret and seeing how I get on.

On every clip the mic is about 15 - 20cm from the guitar. I don't even know how you're supposed to point this mic so I've tried two things.

Pointing at the guitar is seems to be much louder and would probably be clipping if I didn't have a limiter on it.

Wow - moving a mic and pick type makes quite a difference. What do you mean by pointing it at the guitar? Isn't this a side address mic?
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is.
The pointing at it clips have more bass - well probably more mids/lower, and I prefer them as I could eq out the bottom end to taste depending on the mix.
Definitely a better tone than the direct we used on that tune I posted. :)
People want something for nothing, they want it right now. Either they can't tell quality or don't care but feel it is important that everyone agrees with them.
ocnor

Post by ocnor »

It sounds really good but I agree with Greg. I'd say back the mic off to about 60cm and see what you get.
Another toy that helped destroy the elder race of man..forget about your silly whim it doesn't fit the plan.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ido1957 wrote:
JD01 wrote:This is a bit of a new one for The Tone Thread - certainly hasn't happened often: Acoustic tones.

Wow - moving a mic and pick type makes quite a difference. What do you mean by pointing it at the guitar? Isn't this a side address mic?
I'm trying to figure out what the difference is.
The pointing at it clips have more bass - well probably more mids/lower, and I prefer them as I could eq out the bottom end to taste depending on the mix.
Definitely a better tone than the direct we used on that tune I posted. :)
I had to nip out for an hour but I'm back now so I'll post up a couple of pictures.

Really though, even a shite condenser will be better than the guitar DI. I've miked this guitar once before - about 9 months ago with my cheapo focusrite condenser and it sounded alright, was just a little bit of hiss on it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

ocnor wrote:It sounds really good but I agree with Greg. I'd say back the mic off to about 60cm and see what you get.
Yeah, that's my next test I think.

These are the two mic positions I was using:

And this is a tone with the mic pointing at the 12th fret-ish at about 30m away.

One thing I have noticed is that I keep clipping the body of the guitar with my pick 'cos I rarely play acoustic and when I do I'm normally just messing about finger picking.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

JD01 wrote:
ocnor wrote:It sounds really good but I agree with Greg. I'd say back the mic off to about 60cm and see what you get.
Yeah, that's my next test I think.

These are the two mic positions I was using:

And this is a tone with the mic pointing at the 12th fret-ish at about 30m away.

One thing I have noticed is that I keep clipping the body of the guitar with my pick 'cos I rarely play acoustic and when I do I'm normally just messing about finger picking.
I do fingerstyle with the mic(s) at about that distance, but that's a fairly healthy strum - I'd tend to move it back a little. I could write a damn book on my "journey" with miking acoustic guitars over the years - you name it, I've tried it... Not to mention that once you get the mic in the right place you then have to keep your breathing noise and incidental movement noise and accidentally hitting the guitar noises under complete control. It's quite the task.

When I was recording The Jongleurs, although I'm used to recording me on acoustic, I'd have to really work hard with the other half of the band sometimes to get good takes because of all these reasons :D