The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
rayc

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by rayc »

I like the OOP stuff.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:14 am It sounds a lot like a Strat.
It does actually - after you said that yesterday afternoon, I played some.. what I think of SRV style riffs (I don't think I can actually play any SRV), you know, riffs on low strings with little fills, played really aggressively.. it does sound a lot like a strat.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:46 am (I don't think I can actually play any SRV),
dunno about that ..... SRV ( I've jammed with him once before he got big ) doesn't do squat for me .... almost everything I hear from him was lifted from Hendrix who was one of his biggest influences.
And Hendrix ( one of MY biggest influences ) just played blues and R&B turned up to Marshall stack levels

SRV was good for sure but not incredible to my ears.
I've never specifically copped any of his licks because I don't hear anything there I didn't already play.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 1:39 pm
JD01 wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:46 am (I don't think I can actually play any SRV),
dunno about that ..... SRV ( I've jammed with him once before he got big ) doesn't do squat for me .... almost everything I hear from him was lifted from Hendrix who was one of his biggest influences.
And Hendrix ( one of MY biggest influences ) just played blues and R&B turned up to Marshall stack levels

SRV was good for sure but not incredible to my ears.
I've never specifically copped any of his licks because I don't hear anything there I didn't already play.
Oh, Bob. I think I could I just don't know any. I'm not an SRV fan, i just thought it sounded like him when I was hacking away on the neck pickup earlier.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Wasn't SRV a 1/2 tone down player?
I know he's revered by many but I'm as unimpressed by him as I am by Bonamassa. Both excellent players but one did too many Hendrix covers and the other only sounds right when he's playing with B.C.C. as his version of the blues reminds me of Clapton's Journeyman album...anaemic!
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

LOL - you're a tough crowd. :biggrin:

SRV managed to either tap into the zeitgeist or head it off in another direction entirely in terms of guitar-heavy blues rock. Now I never exactly worked out Scuttlebuttin' note for note and can't really be bothered now, but I did play Mary Had A Little Lamb in a covers band - god knows why, no-one had much heard of it, but my bandmates indulged me.

I drag him out every now and then. :like:

Plus, you can write the initals "SRV" and everyone knows who you're talking about. :eep:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:26 am LOL - you're a tough crowd. :biggrin:

SRV managed to either tap into the zeitgeist or head it off in another direction entirely in terms of guitar-heavy blues rock. Now I never exactly worked out Scuttlebuttin' note for note and can't really be bothered now, but I did play Mary Had A Little Lamb in a covers band - god knows why, no-one had much heard of it, but my bandmates indulged me.

I drag him out every now and then. :like:

Plus, you can write the initals "SRV" and everyone knows who you're talking about. :eep:
I play a few of his tunes but I've never bothered to learn any of them note for note ...... it's just blues ..... anything competent works
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I had enough of white redneck texas blues rock decades ago. Fuck that shit.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:11 am I had enough of white redneck texas blues rock decades ago. Fuck that shit.
I'm right there with ya' .... TBH there never was a time I was deeply into blues although I did dig deep into B.B.King and also some Johnny Winter for a bit.

But to me blues is just swing jazz with a guitar instead of a horn section ..... "Don't Get Around Much Anymore" and that sort of stuff ... "Stompin' At The Savoy" etc.
Originally B. B. King was big band ..... so was James Brown ..... google him singing "What Kind of Fool Am I?"
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Almost forgot I owned it! Just plugged the Mustang bass in for the first time since I got it home. This is just into the clean channel of my H&K, no pedals or overdrive.

P pickup first, middle position P/J second, bridge J pickup third.
Mustang Bass Tone Test.mp3
First impression, P pickup clearly has the most body to it but might need a bit of EQ care to get it to play nice in a mix.
Middle position is fine and will probably be easy to use.
Bridge position is probably useless for me.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:26 pm Almost forgot I owned it! Just plugged the Mustang bass in for the first time since I got it home. This is just into the clean channel of my H&K, no pedals or overdrive.

First impression, P pickup clearly has the most body to it but might need a bit of EQ care to get it to play nice in a mix.
They all sound good. No clack.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:52 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:26 pm Almost forgot I owned it! Just plugged the Mustang bass in for the first time since I got it home. This is just into the clean channel of my H&K, no pedals or overdrive.

They all sound good. No clack.
Cheers, I don't actually have any songs to use it on right now but it's going to make my life much easier.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I'm with you - I like the first two but the third's a bit meh... be interested to hear them in a mix - I'm sure it'll cut through nicely but what will the bottom end be like, I wonder?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Bought a Mustang - time to shoegaze
Shoegaze Project.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:31 pm Bought a Mustang - time to shoegaze
Shoegaze Project.mp3
Sounds cool JD!!

Did you buy another mustang? Or did you just make the statement you bought a Mustang so you must now shoegaze?
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:41 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:31 pm Bought a Mustang - time to shoegaze
Shoegaze Project.mp3
Sounds cool JD!!

Did you buy another mustang? Or did you just make the statement you bought a Mustang so you must now shoegaze?
Same mustang I bought a few weeks ago. I just thought it must be time to shoegaze. It might turn into a full song, I have another part to it, see if I get time
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Sounds nice. I'm sure you'll do a better shoegaze than most of the shoegaze bands around can muster.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

So shoegaze is essentially just delays and flangers and phasers and too much distortion?
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:43 pm So shoegaze is essentially just delays and flangers and phasers and too much distortion?
That and a tendency to stay on one chord for a very long time, stand still whilst playing and look miserable/intense.

I always thought it was called "shoegaze" precisely because they spend all their time staring at their delay and flanger and phaser pedals instead of interacting with humanity. Could be wrong. :eep:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:43 pm So shoegaze is essentially just delays and flangers and phasers and too much distortion?
A heavily modified plate reverb, a multi-voiced chorus modulator, an octave-up etc
PLUS distortion at the start of the chain & oodles of reverb before the delay.

The new FX40 pedal is "Shoegaze" in a box except they didn't include the delay...odd. It's a copy of the Soft Focus program in an FX500 without the delay. I suppose most guitarists have delay pedals they love.
Cheers
rayc