The Tone Thread

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Greg_L

Re: The Tone Thread

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:55 am
What is this telling me? Just that it is it's own little weird sub-genre of a Fawn Marshall?
No just that the JMP in this test is that fawn one I got from your buddy.
Rebel Yell
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 12:00 pm
WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:55 am
What is this telling me? Just that it is it's own little weird sub-genre of a Fawn Marshall?
No just that the JMP in this test is that fawn one I got from your buddy.
OHHH yea, i gotcha now. :like: I kind of assumed that the one it was.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg, pan one left, one right and one middle! Just for the love!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:18 am Greg, pan one left, one right and one middle! Just for the love!
Without even trying I can tell you that it does nothing because it's the same take reamped through three amps so essentially it's the same thing. There's no performance or time difference between the three.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Ah, fair enough. I don't have a re-amp box so when I'm comparing tones I always do multiple takes. I suppose I should get one at some point.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:07 am Ah, fair enough. I don't have a re-amp box so when I'm comparing tones I always do multiple takes. I suppose I should get one at some point.
Think of it like sending the same track through different EQs and panning them around. You end up with sort of a deluxe mono. You won't get spread because there's no time difference in the tracks.

If I did three takes through three amps and spread them around it would sound humongous. You need those little fluctuations in time.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:11 am
JD01 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:07 am Ah, fair enough. I don't have a re-amp box so when I'm comparing tones I always do multiple takes. I suppose I should get one at some point.
Think of it like sending the same track through different EQs and panning them around. You end up with sort of a deluxe mono. You won't get spread because there's no time difference in the tracks.

If I did three takes through three amps and spread them around it would sound humongous. You need those little fluctuations in time.
That's what I did when I was comparing guitars a couple of months ago
viewtopic.php?p=116470#p116470
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Here's all 3 left, center, right. Pretty much does nothing.
all3.mp3
Here's the three with some fake spread. One nudged 7ms left, one straight up dead center, one nudged 7ms right.
fake spread.mp3
As I think anyone can tell, faking it doesn't sound great. There are phase problems. I'd always just do another track.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Yeah, that sounds weird - in places it sounds like you actually have a phaser on it.