monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
Armistice

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by Armistice »

I'll tap away on my keyboard perhaps.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

OK, guys - here's a song that you've all of you (well most of you, Liv might not have) have heard before.

Simple track, 4/4 time. 1st verse is half time rest of the song is straight. There's only one stop which is after the intro so you don't even have to remember that far ahead - the stop at the end is the same as the stop after the intro.... the only tricky bit? Its 180 BPM so you'll have to strip down to you banana hammock and get a sweat on!

Original Version
No Choice - Orginal Song.mp3
No drums version
No Choice No Drums.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm the only tricky bit? Its 180 BPM
Bitch please. :drums:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

OK, we probably should have talked about this right away when this was suggested.

Whenever I do a collab with/for someone, all I ask for is this:

1) Put a click. It can be a cowbell, a sidestick, whatever you want. But put a click.

2) Pan the click to one side. Completely.

3) Pan the rest of the song to the other side. Completely.

That way, I can separate it into 2 mono tracks and adjust the level of the click in relation to the level of the song to my liking.

It really makes things easier that way.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm OK, guys - here's a song that you've all of you (well most of you, Liv might not have) have heard before.

Simple track, 4/4 time. 1st verse is half time rest of the song is straight. There's only one stop which is after the intro so you don't even have to remember that far ahead - the stop at the end is the same as the stop after the intro.... the only tricky bit? Its 180 BPM so you'll have to strip down to you banana hammock and get a sweat on!

Original Version

No drums version
No Choice No Drums.mp3
Sweet thanks! Since everyone, besides me, has heard this before its not big deal now, but in the future please dont post something that already has drums. Or if it does make it something no one has heard before, meaning dont post "Say It Aint So" without drums or something like that. The idea of this is to get everyone's own interpretation of the material and how they feel it should be played wihtout outside influence.

On another note, at the other place we were doing 4 week intervals between songs. Does this sound good to you guys? So for this one it would be due on Saturday, April 22. Does that work for everyone? And again, post it on that day, not early because we dont want to hear a bunch of other stuff and then do our takes because it could influence your writing/playing process.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:05 pm OK, we probably should have talked about this right away when this was suggested.

Whenever I do a collab with/for someone, all I ask for is this:

1) Put a click. It can be a cowbell, a sidestick, whatever you want. But put a click.

2) Pan the click to one side. Completely.

3) Pan the rest of the song to the other side. Completely.

That way, I can separate it into 2 mono tracks and adjust the level of the click in relation to the level of the song to my liking.

It really makes things easier that way.
This is what I do and it makes it easier on people submitting songs too.

1. Start a new project/open your template in Reaper
2. Set BPM (in this case 180)
3. Open a new track and "Insert>Media File" in that track
4. Open another track and "Insert>Click Source" into that track
5. Drag out click to cover entire project
6. Line up wave to start of click.

Now you can pan or adjust levels however you want. I just did it with this mp3 in less than a minute. You way seems more complicated on both the submitter and the drummer, IMHO.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:09 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm OK, guys - here's a song that you've all of you (well most of you, Liv might not have) have heard before.

Original Version

No drums version
No Choice No Drums.mp3
Sweet thanks! Since everyone, besides me, has heard this before its not big deal now, but in the future please dont post something that already has drums. Or if it does make it something no one has heard before, meaning dont post "Say It Aint So" without drums or something like that. The idea of this is to get everyone's own interpretation of the material and how they feel it should be played wihtout outside influence.

On another note, at the other place we were doing 4 week intervals between songs. Does this sound good to you guys? So for this one it would be due on Saturday, April 22. Does that work for everyone? And again, post it on that day, not early because we dont want to hear a bunch of other stuff and then do our takes because it could influence your writing/playing process.
That's a fair point, I didn't think of the possibility that people would come up with something with no reference track at all! That would be fun and interesting. If you guys want me to submit another track in future, I'll do that.

I'm just really curious to see what you all come up with now, see if it totally changes the feel of the song,
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:58 pm the only tricky bit? Its 180 BPM
Bitch please. :drums:
This would be close to the limit of my hi hat hand drumming, I think when I first did this I had half time open hats getting smashed really hard and you told me it sounded lazy!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:47 pm

This would be close to the limit of my hi hat hand drumming, I think when I first did this I had half time open hats getting smashed really hard and you told me it sounded lazy!
You can drum?
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:35 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:47 pm

You can drum?
Yeah. A little. I've mentioned this a few times now. I have owned a couple of kits in the past.

I'm not very good. But I can play beat, do basic fills and just about keep time. I've never recorded real drums
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pm
I can play beat, do basic fills and just about keep time.
Ah, so you're as good as me! :happytrees:
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

liv_rong wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:21 pm This is what I do and it makes it easier on people submitting songs too.

1. Start a new project/open your template in Reaper
2. Set BPM (in this case 180)
3. Open a new track and "Insert>Media File" in that track
4. Open another track and "Insert>Click Source" into that track
5. Drag out click to cover entire project
6. Line up wave to start of click.

Now you can pan or adjust levels however you want. I just did it with this mp3 in less than a minute. You way seems more complicated on both the submitter and the drummer, IMHO.
Great. You learn something new every day. Thanx man. :drums:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:28 pm

Great. You learn something new every day. Thanx man. :drums:
You gonna do JD's track? I'd love to hear your drums on it.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Maybe I will. But I think I'd rather sit the first one out and let some of the newer drummers do their thing. I can help with suggestions and ideas once they do their tracks, if they want my opinions and advice. If not enough people do a track for his tune, then I'll do it, but I'm hoping some of the newer guys will use this as an opportnity to learn and have some fun with it.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 pm Maybe I will. But I think I'd rather sit the first one out and let some of the newer drummers do their thing. I can help with suggestions and ideas once they do their tracks, if they want my opinions and advice. If not enough people do a track for his tune, then I'll do it, but I'm hoping some of the newer guys will use this as an opportnity to learn and have some fun with it.
I didn't mean to put you on the spot. I'm interested in hearing some others on it too. I might do it myself. I gotta tear my drums down for a few gigs coming up. I might be able to squeeze it in though.
Rebel Yell
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 pm I didn't mean to put you on the spot.
No, not at all. After all, we are drummers. Why not take part in something drummy. :)

In my case, it's just the timing. Of all times for this to happen, I literally have 6 songs finished waiting for me to put drums on them. I often have a few projects in different stages. But right now, it just so happens that I have 6 songs completely finished except for the drums. If I keep letting it pile up, I'll never catch up on my own stuff.

So, I'd love to be part of something like this, but I really do have to use the old cliche "I don't know if I'll have time" for real.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:48 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:38 pm
I can play beat, do basic fills and just about keep time.
Ah, so you're as good as me! :happytrees:
Lol, no where near! I definitely can't do that turned around beat thing with the snare at the start.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 pmI can help with suggestions and ideas once they do their tracks, if they want my opinions and advice.
This is something I've been meaning to ask you since I started playing the e-kit dude...Between you & Greg, the tips you gave me on programming drums helped immensely, so some tips/pointers/suggestions from you guys would be just absolutely fuckin' superb to me...

Take the little tip about having the click in one ear & the guitar/bass/etc. panned to the opposite side for example...I would've never thought of that if you hadn't mentioned it...

Just like another set of ears to help with a tone/mix/etc., another opinion/perspective would really make a difference, & would especially do so from good, proficiently competent drummers like Rami, Gerg, liv_rong & anyone else I've left out...

The more I think about the drum challenge thing, the more I like it...I finally realized it'll make me a better drummer...

So, the deadline for Jdude's song is the 22nd of April???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:28 am
rammer24 wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:00 pmI can help with suggestions and ideas once they do their tracks, if they want my opinions and advice.
This is something I've been meaning to ask you since I started playing the e-kit dude...Between you & Greg, the tips you gave me on programming drums helped immensely, so some tips/pointers/suggestions from you guys would be just absolutely fuckin' superb to me...

Take the little tip about having the click in one ear & the guitar/bass/etc. panned to the opposite side for example...I would've never thought of that if you hadn't mentioned it...

Just like another set of ears to help with a tone/mix/etc., another opinion/perspective would really make a difference, & would especially do so from good, proficiently competent drummers like Rami, Gerg, liv_rong & anyone else I've left out...

The more I think about the drum challenge thing, the more I like it...I finally realized it'll make me a better drummer...

So, the deadline for Jdude's song is the 22nd of April???
Seems like Liv_Rong is contest administrator and he's set the date, mate. So crack on.

Miner, I have a kind of 80's Metallica/Classic Rock track called You're A Disease posted in Let's Have A Listen which is probably more your cup of tea - my drum programming on it is very basic so if you want to have a crack on something that is more to your liking just for drumming practice I can send you a drum free version of that too.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 am Seems like Liv_Rong is contest administrator and he's set the date, mate. So crack on.
Ok, just wanted to confirm the date of our homework assignments... :minernuggs:
JD01 wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:32 amMiner, I have a kind of 80's Metallica/Classic Rock track called You're A Disease posted in Let's Have A Listen which is probably more your cup of tea - my drum programming on it is very basic so if you want to have a crack on something that is more to your liking just for drumming practice I can send you a drum free version of that too.
Send it dude, the worst that can happen is for me to make it sound completely terribly awful... :minernuggs:

Don't forget the bpm dude...
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs: