monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by liv_rong »

Yes that's the date for you guys are ok with it. As far as the click and panning and shit do what works for you. I don't monitor my drums while recording because there is no need to with a loud instrument like that. But you do, so just play around and have fun.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

I tried the song the other day. It's tough lol. I can't play that fast with authority/in this style. I'll probably end up playing mostly quarter notes the whole time lol
JD01

Post by JD01 »

liv_rong wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:28 am I tried the song the other day. It's tough lol. I can't play that fast with authority/in this style. I'll probably end up playing mostly quarter notes the whole time lol
LOL - that's what its all about, mate.. practice! Failing that, there's always amphetamines.
Farview

Post by Farview »

With the tempo being that high and the guitar arrangement, there isn't much room to do anything different to the drum part than the original.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wimps.
Rebel Yell
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:19 pmWimps.
Yes lol. It's weird I can play this fast but "lighter" I guess but wth accents on every other hit. Does that make sense? I don't know what the technique is actually called. Any ways, yes I am wimp.
rammer24

Post by rammer24 »

Not to influence how anyone would play this, but I would do quarter notes on this regardless of whether I was bale to do 8th notes for it or not. Seems to call for semi-open hi-hat quarter notes to me.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

rammer24 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:38 pm Not to influence how anyone would play this, but I would do quarter notes on this regardless of whether I was bale to do 8th notes for it or not. Seems to call for semi-open hi-hat quarter notes to me.
I can actually do the 8th notes to this for a few seconds :lollers2: , but to me, it just doesn't sound right either...I thought it was all the aqua net that's permanently embedded into my brain though...

Jdude: The practice song you sent me is coming along too dude...I actually played the time/tempo changes that are in the original before I listened to the version with drums... :biggrin: I personally think that song sounds like Metallica with Lemmy on vocals dude...is that you singing???
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I would 8th note all over this thing and double-time it. :drums:

Actually, I have no idea what I'd do. I haven't heard it. :lollers2: :spacepalm:

But 180 bpm to me means 8th notes most of the time.
Rebel Yell
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm I would 8th note all over this thing and double-time it. :drums:

Actually, I have no idea what I'd do. I haven't heard it. :lollers2: :spacepalm:

Yeah dude, I get it, you're a more-than-competent drummer, but I'm a newbie drummer, with health problems to boot...While this is great exercise, I don't wanna fall over dead from trying to keep up with you guys on the drums... :lollers2:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Farview

Post by Farview »

I was playing with it today, but started overplaying and doing ridiculously stupid things. If I get something coherent, I'll post it.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Farview wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:16 pm I was playing with it today, but started overplaying and doing ridiculously stupid things. If I get something coherent, I'll post it.
Lol...that's all that's in my drum vocabulary dude, ridiculous & incoherent seem to go hand-in-hand over here... :minernuggs:

Don't forget we're not supposed to post our results until the 22nd of April dude, that way there's no influence on how we play... :biggrin:
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

Farview

Post by Farview »

In that case, I should be able to find the time to (over)do it.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:11 pm I would 8th note all over this thing and double-time it. :drums:

You've heard it, mate! You even mixed an early version of it for me!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Minerman wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:09 pm Jdude: The practice song you sent me is coming along too dude...I actually played the time/tempo changes that are in the original before I listened to the version with drums... :biggrin: I personally think that song sounds like Metallica with Lemmy on vocals dude...is that you singing???
Hope your finding it useful, mate. I figured that one would be the closest thing I have to your usual style and its also not too fast.

Yeah, it is me singing. I'm not consciously trying to emulate Lemmy but as I sing more and more I start to sound more like him.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Ok so I was going to record this today but since my ears are kind of fucked I bailed after a coupel attempts because it was just too painful. Il ltry to get it tomorrow if I can. If not it will be soon after that. I know this was my idea and I feel bad about not getting it done on time for the first one but thats the card Ive been dealt. I think I only missed one out of like 14 or 15 at the other place, so rest assured I want to do this.
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

liv_rong wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm Ok so I was going to record this today but since my ears are kind of fucked I bailed after a coupel attempts because it was just too painful. Il ltry to get it tomorrow if I can. If not it will be soon after that. I know this was my idea and I feel bad about not getting it done on time for the first one but thats the card Ive been dealt. I think I only missed one out of like 14 or 15 at the other place, so rest assured I want to do this.
Don't we all have until the 22nd of this month dude??? I've been hammerin' away at the song, but thought we had another week or so...
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH

liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Minerman wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:44 pm
liv_rong wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:02 pm Ok so I was going to record this today but since my ears are kind of fucked I bailed after a coupel attempts because it was just too painful. Il ltry to get it tomorrow if I can. If not it will be soon after that. I know this was my idea and I feel bad about not getting it done on time for the first one but thats the card Ive been dealt. I think I only missed one out of like 14 or 15 at the other place, so rest assured I want to do this.
Don't we all have until the 22nd of this month dude??? I've been hammerin' away at the song, but thought we had another week or so...
Oh yeah lol. Got my dates fucked up. Cary on.....
JD01

Post by JD01 »

haha, glad you're getting your practice in, Miner. You'll be 'rebels own session drummer before you know it!

Oh, this thread reminded me too, I retracked the bass for this yesterday and re-mixed it slightly. The bass should be more prominant and cutting through more now which I suppose is pretty vital when you're a drummer!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

Wow. Just listened to JD's song "No Choice" and I think you're gonna need one of those "Great modern drummers" from Liv's thread to keep up with this. I could actually hear how I would do it, if I could do it, but man, I can't do it! Good luck to the participants. Will be interesting to hear the outcome. But man, shit...I'm worn out just thinking about it.

For a first challenge, this one seems a little brutal?