monthly drum challenge?

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
liv_rong

Re: monthly drum challenge?

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:30 pm
liv_rong wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:44 pm Getting closer on this. Won’t be great, will just feel good to get through it semi cleanly
Take my word for it: my attempt will make yours look like one of the finest examples of drumming ever to grace the planet :D

Here it is, in all of it's glory, the full 8 minutes of a pretty bad drummer trying to keep up with this math rock track:

20210926 math rock drums-001.mp3

My favorite part is me trying desperately to feel the 7/8 on the first go-around with the ride. I got lucky and came at the right time, at least :D

If I kept at it, I could probably do it maybe 5-10% better (believe it or not, this is 120% better than my first attempts, as measured by a registered scientician). But I'm still full of mental mistakes like dragging, rushing, losing the bass guitar, and forgetting where I'm at. And physical mistakes like whacking my sticks together as they're on their way to different places, getting a rimshot on a tom, or just plain wearing myself out due to bad technique.

This was a lot of fun though, despite my complaining :) Someday, I might be able to do something like this cleanly and repeatable!

*edit* there's something goofy with the stereo balance of my overheads...I must have left a pad engaged on one of the mics or something...everything is kind of happening over on the right.
Nice job there, man! I feel like your dynamics have gotten better since I last listened to anything you've done. I've been kind of absent for like a year or so. I like the approach, and it is tight, much tighter than mine will be! Drums sound great too! Honestly now I am afraid to keep working on mine lol
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

liv_rong wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:37 pm Nice job there, man! I feel like your dynamics have gotten better since I last listened to anything you've done. I've been kind of absent for like a year or so. I like the approach, and it is tight, much tighter than mine will be! Drums sound great too! Honestly now I am afraid to keep working on mine lol
Hey thanks a lot, man! I appreciate the compliments :)

I've heard enough of your drumming to know that you'll nail this one pretty dang well. You've just got the innate feel that only a bona fide drummer has, so I can only imagine that you'll smash it.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Here it is, as you guys may remember I never have strived for perfection but that's ok with me, I'm just having fun.

A bunch of little mistakes here, rushes etc, but I am just happy I was able to make it through the thing. And I got to use double bass here twice, actually this is why I got the pedal! I tried to utilize it also at the end but it ended up shitty so I gave up!

Also I never watched the video to see the counting until just now and it made me think I should have played the 3/4 section a little different, I basically played it in 4/4 but it worked out anyways :lollers: :spacepalm:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yx7kjj7q9gb4r ... e.mp3?dl=0
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

@liv_rong nice job! I like the hi-hat work throughout, and all of the little bits that add interest all along the way. That's one area that I'd love to develop more as a drummer, but I just don't have the creativity built up yet. It all sounds pretty tight to me!

I also ended up ditching the video after my first few nights of trying. I'm running remote desktop to my downstairs computer from the living room upstairs, and the Wi-Fi connection wasn't good enough for the video to keep up. So I just recorded the audio through a loopback into Reaper, set up some markers in the project to remind me where the changes were, and ended up faring much better on my next several attempts without the visual distractions.

This was fun, we should do more of these!
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:12 pm @liv_rong nice job! I like the hi-hat work throughout, and all of the little bits that add interest all along the way. That's one area that I'd love to develop more as a drummer, but I just don't have the creativity built up yet. It all sounds pretty tight to me!

I also ended up ditching the video after my first few nights of trying. I'm running remote desktop to my downstairs computer from the living room upstairs, and the Wi-Fi connection wasn't good enough for the video to keep up. So I just recorded the audio through a loopback into Reaper, set up some markers in the project to remind me where the changes were, and ended up faring much better on my next several attempts without the visual distractions.

Thanks, man!

Yeah! Would love to do more!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:30 pm

Take my word for it: my attempt will make yours look like one of the finest examples of drumming ever to grace the planet :D

Here it is, in all of it's glory, the full 8 minutes of a pretty bad drummer trying to keep up with this math rock track:

20210926 math rock drums-001.mp3

My favorite part is me trying desperately to feel the 7/8 on the first go-around with the ride. I got lucky and came at the right time, at least :D

If I kept at it, I could probably do it maybe 5-10% better (believe it or not, this is 120% better than my first attempts, as measured by a registered scientician). But I'm still full of mental mistakes like dragging, rushing, losing the bass guitar, and forgetting where I'm at. And physical mistakes like whacking my sticks together as they're on their way to different places, getting a rimshot on a tom, or just plain wearing myself out due to bad technique.

This was a lot of fun though, despite my complaining :) Someday, I might be able to do something like this cleanly and repeatable!

*edit* there's something goofy with the stereo balance of my overheads...I must have left a pad engaged on one of the mics or something...everything is kind of happening over on the right.
That was really good man. You've gotten much better pretty quickly.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

liv_rong wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 pm Here it is, as you guys may remember I never have strived for perfection but that's ok with me, I'm just having fun.

A bunch of little mistakes here, rushes etc, but I am just happy I was able to make it through the thing. And I got to use double bass here twice, actually this is why I got the pedal! I tried to utilize it also at the end but it ended up shitty so I gave up!

Also I never watched the video to see the counting until just now and it made me think I should have played the 3/4 section a little different, I basically played it in 4/4 but it worked out anyways :lollers: :spacepalm:

Pretty fancy. Nice fills and ghost notes. Yall have way more dedication than me.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:24 am That was really good man. You've gotten much better pretty quickly.
Thanks! I'm happy that I was able to get through the whole thing as a single take. It's just that this was take number 20 or 30 :D If you asked me to do it again right now, it'd take another 5-10 takes to get it close to right. But it definitely felt good to hear/feel this one getting closer as I played it more. When I first started, I thought that there was no way I'd ever get close.
liv_rong

Post by liv_rong »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:30 am
liv_rong wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 pm Here it is, as you guys may remember I never have strived for perfection but that's ok with me, I'm just having fun.

Pretty fancy. Nice fills and ghost notes. Yall have way more dedication than me.
Thanks, man! And I can’t do what you do at all!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Tadpui wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:12 pm I also ended up ditching the video after my first few nights of trying. I'm running remote desktop to my downstairs computer from the living room upstairs, and the Wi-Fi connection wasn't good enough for the video to keep up. So I just recorded the audio through a loopback into Reaper, set up some markers in the project to remind me where the changes were, and ended up faring much better on my next several attempts without the visual distractions.

Jesus Murphy tad. Leave some mad scientist for the rest of us will ya. :lollers2: :lollers2: My brain doesn't work like that.

All that aside great friggin job lads!! @Tadpui and @liv_rong I had a good listen and read through the thread as i basically tapped out being a non drummer. But that 7/8ths bit is just kind of mental. You guys hit some homeruns.

Tad I don't hear any real imbalance in your overheads but that's my ears. Your whole kit sounds great here too. Really big! That kick is something else. good stuff.

Liv, It's been so long since I've heard your stuff I want to say you've made some changes to your set up but it may just be my ears. regardless it sounds really good. I sometime lose your kick when i think it might be like a double kick thing happening. forgive my ignorance i don't know what the right music word is for that. I just call it a double kick note.

Tadpui wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:12 pm This was fun, we should do more of these!
Do it!
:happytrees: