SHOW US YOUR MUSIC ROOM!!!

DIY Studio Stuff
musicturtle

Re: SHOW US YOUR MUSIC ROOM!!!

Post by musicturtle »

Right now my room is anywhere I can plug an interface into a laptop. A while back I had a water leak problem, it stopped then started leaking again. I tried to move the table with my setup on it and broke a leg on the table.

I fixed it with some Gorilla Glue but haven't had time to get everything set up again.

Plus it has been so damned hot here in Nashville for the last month or so, I really haven't wanted to use my garage(which is where my normal set up is) for recording.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

My hole in the wall, one side of the bedroom. My other guitars are in the cupboards as the wife doesn't like em all over the place.
Studio1.jpg
Studio.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Minerman

Post by Minerman »

Awesome guys, keep the pics comin'... :minernuggs: :coolstorybro:
Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson
Ceriatone, Marshall, EVH
TC Electronic, MXR, Yamaha

My music @ Reverbnation :minernuggs:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Most of you have seen the video of mine but a few little things have changed - I'll take some pics tomorrow as I'm working at home so I'll basically be sitting in my studio all day.

One curious thing I have noticed ( [mention]Greg_L[/mention] and [mention]Tadpui[/mention] warned me about this) Is that 'cos its such a small space, but fairly well treated, the position you sit in in the room when listening makes an enormous difference. You have to sit right in the correct spot or you get weird resonating bass, strange re-verb effects, mid-things jumping out of the mix. I think this is the comb filtering.

It works well when you're sitting in the right spot though and translates well to my headphones and the downstairs stereo.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

CeeBee wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:21 pm My hole in the wall, one side of the bedroom. My other guitars are in the cupboards as the wife doesn't like em all over the place.

Studio1.jpgStudio.jpg
Looks like a good workstation.

BTW, what is the magnifying glass for?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

studio box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Nice one [mention]CeeBee[/mention] - compromise with the spouse is the prime concern when there's no spare room.
@[mention]JD01[/mention] , well set up. My space is bigger BUT the mixing sweet spot is surprisingly small and impressive but a head wobble can be disaster.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Finally got mine set back up. Here is my humble music spot. I also have a janky mattress vocal booth. That people really don't need to see again :lol:
rayc

Post by rayc »

Serious monitors Tony!
My heart is always warmed to see another FX500. I was fooling around with mine last week - turned off the distortion component and tried an overdrive pedal into various settings. It sounded MUCH better.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:07 am Serious monitors Tony!
My heart is always warmed to see another FX500. I was fooling around with mine last week - turned off the distortion component and tried an overdrive pedal into various settings. It sounded MUCH better.
Yeah the speakers are old powered PA speakers I used to gig with. My room is crap for mixing anyway(metal washer and dryer, hot water heater, metal garage door, etc.) so I do not see any point in investing in new speakers.

I have had that FX500 since like 1991. Love the reverb on it.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

i'm REALLY enjoying seeing ya'lls rooms.
I promise to put mine up Monday ....... I have to clear it enough to get in there!
frank1985

Post by frank1985 »

I don’t have any pics of the inside yet but I like to take my laptop into the garden cabin for some ITB writing and mixing. I don’t have any bass traps in there as I work mainly on headphones. Image
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

It's not getting much use at the moment but....
Studio 1.jpg
Haggard Musician :mad:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

frank1985 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:00 pm I don’t have any pics of the inside yet but I like to take my laptop into the garden cabin for some ITB writing and mixing. I don’t have any bass traps in there as I work mainly on headphones. Image
Thats the dream right there. A detached separate building / ched/ cottage thing to just escape to. how cool is that. nice one !!! :like: :like:
Bubba wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:44 pm It's not getting much use at the moment but....
Studio 1.jpg
Nice bubbs. is the panel in front of what i am going to guess is a the kick drum there to absorb some low end to keep it from bouncing around?
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:31 pm
Nice bubbs. is the panel in front of what i am going to guess is a the kick drum there to absorb some low end to keep it from bouncing around?
Yeah, it's a general moveable gobo but in this instance it's meant to break up or absorb some frequencies. Unfortunately my room is the worst size and shape to record drums. No matter what I do or where I position the kit, the kick drum appears to be on a low-frequency node point where the good frequencies (50-100 Hz) are cancelling and the bad frequencies (150-400 Hz) are reinforcing. It takes a shitload of EQing to sort that out.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Nice to see everyone's space. Home studios always look great.

This is my little corner of the world. Due to one thing or another, over the past 3 years, I've not had much time to spend in here but that's all changing lately which is good. I got myself a new Electric Piano, Tascam US2400 and a drum kit recently as a treat. (The drums are now upstairs in my other (vinyl) music room as they literally filled the f'ing room! and they annoy the neighbours more from there.)

Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's a really, really nice room [mention]Mr Clean[/mention]

[mention]Bubba[/mention] have you thought of sticking a couple of little corner traps above your monitors in the top corners of the room?
rayc

Post by rayc »

OOOOH, classic bass city...I LOVE the pickup & bridge covers and a Red Ricky is always a joy to see.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Mr Clean wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:28 pm Nice to see everyone's space. Home studios always look great.

This is my little corner of the world.
REally nice room!!!! I like your titanic thing too. I am into that sort of stuff. Is that reproduction thing or is it the actual newspaper thingy.

Lots of cool old gear in there too man! Can't wait to hear some stuff that comes out of that room! :like: :like:
:happytrees:
Bubba

Post by Bubba »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:50 am
@Bubba have you thought of sticking a couple of little corner traps above your monitors in the top corners of the room?
Not really. I don't know if you can see but I have traps behind both of my monitors. They're rear-ported so the absorbers work quite well.