ALL WE KNEW

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

ALL WE KNEW

Post by rayc »

This is a collaboration with Janice Merritt.
She'd used a sentence, when we were communicating about another song, that stuck in my head. I developed it into a narrative for a song and asked her permission to use her words. Janice agreed and was happy to have a crack at the melody & vocals too.
Janice edited the length of the song as well as one of the progressions.
BIAB provided the solo, the piano & drums.
Janice did the vocals and I added the trem guitar as well as bass.
The tremolo was added in the box as I couldn't quite get the speed right through a pedal.
Here it is on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/rayc/all-we-knew ... al_sharing

Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Re: ALL WE KNEW

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I like the subtle panning throughout this one.

The vocal is very warm. I wonder if it should be brighter? I think that would sound more hi-fi, at least, if that's what you want.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Sounds really good @rayc

I like the song.

My nit would be that her vocal sounds like it is in a very nice sized verby room, and the rest sounds much more intimate.

She has some characteristics of Karen Carpenter in her voice, it's very nice. I think some of their stuff would be a good reference the mix on this.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

I thought I'd commented on this earlier but obviously neglected to press go!

I really like the tune overall. I do feel the vocals are a tad loud. Not much but bringing them down a little could make it all the more intimate which would suit the lyrics.

Not a huge fan of the guitar solo. I don't think the feel of it or the trem adds to the overall vibe. Just my opinion though. I'm a shitty guitarist that just gets lucky from time to time, so take that with a pinch of salt.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:

Mr Clean Sound Cloud
rayc

Post by rayc »

Thanks folks,
the vocal processing was done by Janice's partner. They've used a set procedure for more than a decade & stick to it. I sent some of the vocal to the reverb buss to try to get it "in the room" with the rest.
Cheers
rayc