Nights in White Satin

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
musicturtle

Nights in White Satin

Post by musicturtle »

I still have not given up on my alphabetical journey of bands.

For letter M, here is a Moody Blues cover.

vomitHatSteve

Re: Nights in White Satin

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That's pretty.

What's your fx chain like here? Your vocal almost sounds like it was treated separately from the guit somehow
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice work MT.

I'd have played it a touch slower perhaps - you're going noticeably faster than the original. Kept waiting for the string section, mellotron, flute and choir of angels to come in... :lollers: Probably beyond the scope of the project though. :biggrin:

You've capo'd up a tone from the original, yes?

The only other thing I'd suggest, for future videos, is that I don't think you got the camera framing quite right... I mean, don't get me wrong, the top of your head and the wall behind it is indeed a thing of beauty, but I'd have paid more to see all of your hands... :biggrin:

What's N going to be? People will say Nirvana of course, but I'd suggest, from a similar time as NIWS, Nazareth "Love Hurts" - although, I guess it's actually an Everly Brothers song, so perhaps that wouldn't fit. Neil Diamond and Shilo? Neil Young and Needle? Few options for you to consider... :like:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 12:24 pm That's pretty.

What's your fx chain like here? Your vocal almost sounds like it was treated separately from the guit somehow
Thanks @vomitHatSteve

My fx chain is pretty simple but the microphone set up is a bit different.

The audio is recorded using the stereo pair on my Zoom camcorder and a hypercardioid choir mic.

On the choir mic I just have an EQ and a Universal Audio compressor

On the pair I just have an EQ.

I added some plate reverb to both as well.

I do get what you are saying though.

It must be something in the way I EQ'd the sources.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:06 pm Nice work MT.
Thanks!
Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:06 pm I'd have played it a touch slower perhaps - you're going noticeably faster than the original. Kept waiting for the string section, mellotron, flute and choir of angels to come in... :lollers: Probably beyond the scope of the project though. :biggrin:
Yeah without the orchestration the slower tempo probably would have been a bit like pulling teeth in my opinion.

I also recorded this just after a bit of a long day at work, so I think that had me sped up a bit as well.
Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:06 pm Nice work MT.

You've capo'd up a tone from the original, yes?
Actually it's a step and a half lower. I played it in Db minor. The original is in E minor.
Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:06 pm
The only other thing I'd suggest, for future videos, is that I don't think you got the camera framing quite right... I mean, don't get me wrong, the top of your head and the wall behind it is indeed a thing of beauty, but I'd have paid more to see all of your hands... :biggrin:
I can agree with that...using a new camera and I thought I had more of the guitar in the shot.
Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:06 pm
What's N going to be? People will say Nirvana of course, but I'd suggest, from a similar time as NIWS, Nazareth "Love Hurts" - although, I guess it's actually an Everly Brothers song, so perhaps that wouldn't fit. Neil Diamond and Shilo? Neil Young and Needle? Few options for you to consider... :like:
I think I am leaning one of the Neils :)
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

musicturtle wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:33 pm
Yeah without the orchestration the slower tempo probably would have been a bit like pulling teeth in my opinion.

I also recorded this just after a bit of a long day at work, so I think that had me sped up a bit as well.

Yeah, I can see that now that you mention it - but if you were playing it for folks and you wanted them to sing along you'd probably slow it down a bit - I can imagine it'd be great to get a roomful of people going 'Wooooooh I luuuuuurve you...." :lollers:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:42 pm Yeah, I can see that now that you mention it - but if you were playing it for folks and you wanted them to sing along you'd probably slow it down a bit - I can imagine it'd be great to get a roomful of people going 'Wooooooh I luuuuuurve you...." :lollers:
True, that would be fun for sing along purposes...I can see them all rocking back and forth as I type this :biggrin: