PBR In a Pineapple - VHS does country

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
vomitHatSteve

PBR In a Pineapple - VHS does country

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Hey folks! It's been a bit since I've had a new song, but I'm still at it

This was originally written as a straight-ahead parody of country songs about illicit teen partying and people who think you can't get in trouble for drinking in public if you hide the label.
Then my garage rock band played it for a while.
Now it's a Regdar song. But also an excuse to play my new melodica!

Mix 2
PBRInAPineapple2.mp3
Mix 1
PBRInAPineapple1.mp3
Lyrics
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by vomitHatSteve on Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayc

Re: PBR In a Pineapple - VHS does country

Post by rayc »

My only nit is the phasing of "Everyone's at the old hunting lodge" & the use of THE in particular. The stress isn't rhythmic of on an important word.
IO had to look things up to realize PBR = Pabst Blue Ribbon.
I like it - cool.
Cheers
rayc
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Good VHS mix! I don't have much time to listen anymore (I've been both really busy and a bit depressed), but its still really hard to objectively critique your music 'cos its just so weird.

My main criticism is the same as Ray's. You're putting stresses in weird places in words, mainly in the quiet verses, there's a few more, not just the one ray mentioned. You know what it makes it sound like? When someone is trying to do Karaoke of a song they don't know well enough and they're trying to read words that they're not that familiar with while singing the melody.

Once the song gets going into standard VHS territory, its all good though.

I don't know enough about how to properly write out the stress patterns of poetic meter to explain it in words and, I'm sorry, but I just don't have the time these days to quickly do a recording of what I mean.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Huh. Interesting observation. I had never even considered that. I'll have to review how I stress things
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ok, Mix 2 in the OP.
I've been singing it the original way for so long that changing the lyrics in the first verse actually felt really weird. But you guys are right. The emphasis was on unimportant words. (You're gonna hate my iambic septameter song)

The other major change is that I EQ'd the gang chorus a lot more aggressively so it can both be louder and dominate the rest of the mix less

Unless you guys spot some major issues with it, I'm probably sticking a fork in it now
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Lol the change from slow to fast gave me a bit of a chuckle. Didn’t sound right hearing you way out of your genre. May seem not weird to someone who doesn’t know who you are.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:18 pm May seem not weird to someone who doesn’t know who you are.
Hopefully, that logic sticks when I finally record my metalcore/bro-country/rap song!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

"Remember" in the first line is still a bit weird, but that's much better on the whole. Getting a bit more subtle now, but you should be able to hear what I'm getting at despite me having a terrible cold.
Recording.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Ah, I get what you're saying. I don't think I'll change that one tho because it drops a syllable from the musical rhythm, which is a choice I don't like in the first line of a song.
(Gotta save the changeups for at least the second stanza!)
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:34 am Ah, I get what you're saying. I don't think I'll change that one tho because it drops a syllable from the musical rhythm, which is a choice I don't like in the first line of a song.
(Gotta save the changeups for at least the second stanza!)
No worries, that was just the only way I could explain what I was hearing.