Bad Moon Rising

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Alison

Bad Moon Rising

Post by Alison »

Okay guys, here's my version of a classic song. . . his lyrics nailed the times of today (as well as the 60's).

Not too much to say about this except that I tried to make the low bass sound more like a bass rather than an electric cello. Also added some effects to the normal cello lines.

Anyway, have at it!
Bad Moon.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd be dangerous!
JD01

Re: Bad Moon Rising

Post by JD01 »

I like it. I really like CCR, John Fogerty has one of my favourite voices from that era.
Cellos sound good and the vocal is great as always. The mix seems tidy enough.

Nit picking - the drums are just kinda there, not even sure if that's a bad thing, although the kick is pretty modern and strident sounding, something a bit "fluffier" might suit the song better.

The bass... its a bit, eh "farty" its almost like a fuzz-bass line that VomitHatSteve would do, but not quite - a more traditional bassline would suit the song better.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

A nice different take on the song. I like the "farty" bass as JD called it. It sounds more like a tuba to me, which gives the song a nice folky umpahpah atmosphere. The vocals are excellent as usual.
Cheers
Chris
my music
Alison

Post by Alison »

Thanks for listening, @CeeBee and @JD01!

The bassline was a struggle. . .most of the time, I use my acoustic cello when recording but, I needed the low "F" string on my electric for the bassline sadly, my electric doesn't speak well when recording. I was trying to get a bowed double bass sound and worked hard on the Eq but it didn't quite make it! At some point, I might try and use my regular electric bass but I really wanted the "bowed" sound. . .
And then there's the drums. . . they are ALWAYS a struggle for me. . .

Anyway, I probably won't do anything with this except for maybe a YouTube video. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

CeeBee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:22 am A nice different take on the song. I like the "farty" bass as JD called it. It sounds more like a tuba to me, which gives the song a nice folky umpahpah atmosphere. The vocals are excellent as usual.
Yeah, I'm getting a tuba vibe to it too. It's pretty cool.

Everything is quiet overall. Did you normalize the track before uploading? At such a low volume, it's hard to really tell, but I think the bass could probably come up pretty significantly.

I agree with JD on the drums.
Alison

Post by Alison »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:58 am
CeeBee wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:22 am A nice different take on the song. I like the "farty" bass as JD called it. It sounds more like a tuba to me, which gives the song a nice folky umpahpah atmosphere. The vocals are excellent as usual.
Yeah, I'm getting a tuba vibe to it too. It's pretty cool.

Everything is quiet overall. Did you normalize the track before uploading? At such a low volume, it's hard to really tell, but I think the bass could probably come up pretty significantly.

I agree with JD on the drums.
Ooops! I usually add some master effects before I export. . .forgot this time!
Ugh. . .drums!
Thanks for your input, Steve!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Been a hot minute since i have heard an Alison tune.

This has one of those funeral dirge vibes to it. I like it. I will third the tuba like electric bass but i don't really see it as a bad thing at all. Quite a nice little spin on an actual classic.

I have listened now a few times once actively listening and then as background noise while i worked and my only real nit is just that there are a few inhales here and there that sort of jump out at the listener.

great to have you in my ears again Alison !!
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Brought my food headphones to work and am on break so here I am!

Sounds good. Agree on the tuba sound and that it needs to be brought up. A little dark sounding overall, but works with the song.

Are the cellos hard panned? It’s a little jarring to me, but it still works. May be a headphone thing, too.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Alison

Post by Alison »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:35 pm Been a hot minute since i have heard an Alison tune.

This has one of those funeral dirge vibes to it. I like it. I will third the tuba like electric bass but i don't really see it as a bad thing at all. Quite a nice little spin on an actual classic.

I have listened now a few times once actively listening and then as background noise while i worked and my only real nit is just that there are a few inhales here and there that sort of jump out at the listener.

great to have you in my ears again Alison !!
It's good to be back in action!! Thanks for your input. I usually can catch those inhales (for me, it's a regular occurrence!). Probably won't have a chance to work on this for a bit as my daughter is coming to visit but, I'll try and work on several issues once she takes off! Thanks so much for listening! xoxo
Alison

Post by Alison »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:04 pm Brought my food headphones to work and am on break so here I am!

Sounds good. Agree on the tuba sound and that it needs to be brought up. A little dark sounding overall, but works with the song.

Are the cellos hard panned? It’s a little jarring to me, but it still works. May be a headphone thing, too.
Not really hard panned, I tried to separate them enough to make them each stand out. Yeah, the lyrics are pretty dark so I went for the dark sound. Thanks for checking it out!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Didn't you buy a bass guitar?
Alison

Post by Alison »

Armistice wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:12 pm Didn't you buy a bass guitar?
Yes but I wanted the bowed sound. Unfortunately, my electric cello didn't deliver. . . .
rayc

Post by rayc »

I like the tubaesque bass cello. Overall I like the mix though the drums are indistinct but that's okay as the snare cracks through as punctuation & accent.
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:18 am I like the tubaesque bass cello. Overall I like the mix though the drums are indistinct but that's okay as the snare cracks through as punctuation & accent.
I thought this same thing actually. The drums didn't bother me at all in the least. I thikn Alison is the one exception where i feel like if the drums are a bit buried or lower than the norm it is ok because her voice and her cello are her "thing"

Are they lower than what would be called industry standard mix? Yes. Is it a bad thing in thi case no. I think the only time it might matter is if she was knocking out a collab with @JD01 and his loud guitars. Otherwise Alison having burred drums isn't a big deal.
:happytrees: