No Other Day Like This One

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
CrowsofFritz

No Other Day Like This One

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Edit: an update with more instruments. Deleted the other mixes for clarity.

The last of what I’ve been focusing on.

Now it’s time to brainstorm again. I think I’ll turn up that one woodwind part in the middle a smidge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by CrowsofFritz on Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
paulman

Re: No Other Day Like This One

Post by paulman »

This is a lot of fun, man. This mix is really dark and stuffy, it needs some air to open it up. That being said, I think you could add some other instruments to the festivities. Horns would be awesome if you have access to that, and some kind of drums/percussion would be good too. I imagine this played by a ragtag band that walks around bringing light and levity everywhere they go.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

paulman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:07 pm This is a lot of fun, man. This mix is really dark and stuffy, it needs some air to open it up. That being said, I think you could add some other instruments to the festivities. Horns would be awesome if you have access to that, and some kind of drums/percussion would be good too. I imagine this played by a ragtag band that walks around bringing light and levity everywhere they go.
Thanks! I noticed it was dark, too. And the piano at the beginning is too quiet. I added an exciter to the master. Raised the volume of the horns and wood winds and added a flute At the end. I’ll see what else I can add that won’t make it sound too messy.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Cool song.

Vocals sound great and I like the instrumentation.

My only nit would be that the timing of is a little loose here and there. Hard to pinpoint if it's just one instrument or not. It's quite glaring at the :50 mark, just feels off in some spots.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

musicturtle wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:58 pm Cool song.

Vocals sound great and I like the instrumentation.

My only nit would be that the timing of is a little loose here and there. Hard to pinpoint if it's just one instrument or not. It's quite glaring at the :50 mark, just feels off in some spots.
Thanks! I’m sure it is. I remember recording this using an iPhone app as a click instead of my DAW. I don’t recall the reason why.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Very Beatles-y

Mix-nit-wise, the very first word ("bicycle" at 0:06) almost sounds like it clipped and clicked. I think that's just the way the slappy percussion and the string click on the acoustic interact, but I don't love that transient.

I wouldn't mind everything being a little wider. There's a lot of stereo width to the piano, but everything else sounds right down the middle.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Coming in on the the current posted mix. I don't really have anything in the way of a nit. It's pretty clean and tidy as far as my rusty ears go. It is all fairly organic sounding i like it.

I think if i had anything it would be agreeing with VHS about the stereo of spread of all the other stuff going on in here. The centre is pretty cluttered up on top of itself. Your vocals are in a good place Though it has this higher end brittleness to it. Almost like too much air and glassyness to it or something. I don't think it is anything worth revisiting mind you. Just kind of a sound i hear.

Good to hear some stuff from you again.
:happytrees:
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:22 pm Very Beatles-y

Mix-nit-wise, the very first word ("bicycle" at 0:06) almost sounds like it clipped and clicked. I think that's just the way the slappy percussion and the string click on the acoustic interact, but I don't love that transient.

I wouldn't mind everything being a little wider. There's a lot of stereo width to the piano, but everything else sounds right down the middle.
I’ll take a listen with the headphones. Can definitely make some panning decisions with all the Mellotron things.
WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:21 pm Coming in on the the current posted mix. I don't really have anything in the way of a nit. It's pretty clean and tidy as far as my rusty ears go. It is all fairly organic sounding i like it.

I think if i had anything it would be agreeing with VHS about the stereo of spread of all the other stuff going on in here. The centre is pretty cluttered up on top of itself. Your vocals are in a good place Though it has this higher end brittleness to it. Almost like too much air and glassyness to it or something. I don't think it is anything worth revisiting mind you. Just kind of a sound i hear.

Good to hear some stuff from you again.
Thanks Whiskey! I think that’s the result of the exciter on the master. Can maybe dial that back a db or two but it’s an extremely dark mix without it entirely. I’m not sure why. I recorded the basic tracks a year ago on Reason instead of Pro Tools, but that shouldn’t mean anything.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yeah, I agree that the 1st syllables and chopped.
If it's dark without the exciter, (and it's dark with it), then you really ought to EQ the indiv tracks.
The song reminds me of a 70s KFC advert in Australia
The ad song has a similar feel but is sparser and brighter despite the years...
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:55 am Yeah, I agree that the 1st syllables and chopped.
If it's dark without the exciter, (and it's dark with it), then you really ought to EQ the indiv tracks.
The song reminds me of a 70s KFC advert in Australia
The ad song has a similar feel but is sparser and brighter despite the years...
You’re back! Yeah, individual tracks it is. When it comes to my stuff, I usually just record and leave it unless it’s an artistic decision, but this is so dark, it warrants a proper mix.
rayc

Post by rayc »

[quote=CrowsofFritz post_id=121148 time=1710524573 user_id=253

You’re back! Yeah, individual tracks it is. When it comes to my stuff, I usually just record and leave it unless it’s an artistic decision, but this is so dark, it warrants a proper mix.
[/quote]
Yep, been without a decent listening computer since NYEve...I finally have a replacement.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:44 pm [quote=CrowsofFritz post_id=121148 time=1710524573 user_id=253

Yep, been without a decent listening computer since NYEve...I finally have a replacement.
[/quote]

What are the specs like? I’m still running an old 2014 iMac and it’s great, but I almost never put more than one or two plugins on my tracks. I should really make a beefy mix. The best one to do it is the Things We Saw Along The Way one