The VHS School of Bass Tone.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

The VHS School of Bass Tone.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Has it's first graduate.

πŸ˜€
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Re: The VHS School of Bass Tone.

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Needs more fuzz.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:01 pm Needs more fuzz.
Is it supposed to sound like that ? I don't know the original at all maybe it is supposed to sound all gnarly like that.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:52 pm
Is it supposed to sound like that ? I don't know the original at all maybe it is supposed to sound all gnarly like that.
It's not dissimilar, but it's more down in the mix. And there's no bass at all for the first 3 minutes of the song - this is just the ending. Odd one to pick... also, not really difficult in any way shape or form.

How is it you can just lift someone's song, play your own bass over it, and put that on YouTube? I thought the lawyers and algorithms would be all over that. But not, apparently.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:37 pm

It's not dissimilar, but it's more down in the mix. And there's no bass at all for the first 3 minutes of the song - this is just the ending. Odd one to pick... also, not really difficult in any way shape or form.

How is it you can just lift someone's song, play your own bass over it, and put that on YouTube? I thought the lawyers and algorithms would be all over that. But not, apparently.
I have no idea the mechanics of the youytubes. I suspect it is likely just not eligible for earning monies. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ
rayc

Post by rayc »

I suspect the recording has lost some bass in the translation but the mids to top sound about right.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Armistice wrote: ↑Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:37 pm
You can pretty much do whatever you want. They just won't let you monetize it. If that shitty bass tone cover gets 50 billion views he may not see a penny of it.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think so. They're going for a wall of sound thing rather than a distinct rhythm bass. Plus, this guy seems particularly drawn to that kind of music. He's got a Muse playthrough with a similarly fuzzy (but too crisp) tone.

Wait... Oh! I didn't realize until just now VHS here meant me and not the video format!

I rarely use that much fuzz on the bass bass. I do put some grit on my bass, but the real fuzz is reserved for the guitar-substitute bass.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

vomitHatSteve wrote: ↑Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:14 pm

I think so. They're going for a wall of sound thing rather than a distinct rhythm bass. Plus, this guy seems particularly drawn to that kind of music. He's got a Muse playthrough with a similarly fuzzy (but too crisp) tone.

Wait... Oh! I didn't realize until just now VHS here meant me and not the video format!

I rarely use that much fuzz on the bass bass. I do put some grit on my bass, but the real fuzz is reserved for the guitar-substitute bass.
HA!

I was more just busting your balls.
paulman

Post by paulman »

Damn. This is one of my very favorite Radiohead songs. Brilliant song, brilliant recording. And this guy shits all over it. Also, I don't know why one would make a bass video for this song. The part is great, it serves the song perfectly and has a great fuzz tone (the original I mean), but it's not much for showing off one's bass playing skills.