Bit of beat confusion.

Lloyd Christmas: Wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world?
JD01

Bit of beat confusion.

Post by JD01 »

Just something that I wouldn't think about unless I was trying to programme it cos it feels natural, you can easily tap the beat out or just think it but it doesn't work on a grid.

It's fills. Tapping away a bog standard 4/4 beat, you'd do a snare roll of 8 hits, land back on the beat and all is fine.

However, I often want to do a 12 hit roll... so, in the space each 4 hits from my bog standard 8 hit roll, I cram 6 hits with emphasis on the first hit. Am I mentally moving my fills into 12/8? It's a twat to programme cos the hits don't line up with a 4/4 grid.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Bit of beat confusion.

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So triplet fills?

That's not a hugely complex thing. You can set your MIDI grid to triplet snap to make it easier to program.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:28 pm So triplet fills?

That's not a hugely complex thing. You can set your MIDI grid to triplet snap to make it easier to program.
Could be, I'll have a look for this setting tomorrow and see if it works.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

In the piano roll grid, look in the bottom right corner. You can make the grid more or less granular, and you can set it to a few different divisions:
Screenshot 2024-02-17 204735.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Great, cheers. I thought I was gonna have to change my timeline to 12/8 just for the fills!