IK Multimedia’s Mellotron plugin

Got a cool pedal you want to tell the world about? Maybe an over hyped plugin that wasn't worth the bandwidth to download? Leave all your reviews in here to share with present and future rebels!
CrowsofFritz

IK Multimedia’s Mellotron plugin

Post by CrowsofFritz »

So I figured getting a physical Mellotron wasn’t worth it lol.

After getting my computer keyboard keyboard, I got this plug. I’m really enjoying this! Very lovely sounds. I want to use them all. Sounds fairly close to the real thing, but no tape stops like a real one would have (even the digital one, too).

Only thing is that it takes a longer amount of time to sift through sounds and mess with the thing on a computer than a physical one, but at 1/5 the cost (including the MIDI keyboard I bought), I’m not complaining…too much :mrgreen:
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Re: IK Multimedia’s Mellotron plugin

Post by Armistice »

Is that the Sample Tron 2?

I was wondering so what's the difference between this mellotron and any other mellotron, but then I watched the video - now I get it...

Seems interesting! But at $200AUD, perhaps it's one for the next computer set up.

You'll have to do some stuff with it and post it up!
rayc

Post by rayc »

That's expensive...I have three or four free 'tron VSTis and they sound pretty good. 1/5th or 20% of the cost of what?
The fact that the samples aren't seven seconds long is a problem that can be dealt with by adjusting the attack/release if you want that breathiness.
To get THOSE classic tones you need to treat the sample as if it were being amplified as in the 60s/70s: Fender amp, low & top end rolled off and oodles of spring reverb.
When the actual tape characteristics are important I use .wav files of direct tape rips.
Cheers
rayc
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:10 pm Is that the Sample Tron 2?

I was wondering so what's the difference between this mellotron and any other mellotron, but then I watched the video - now I get it...

Seems interesting! But at $200AUD, perhaps it's one for the next computer set up.

You'll have to do some stuff with it and post it up!
I’ve already got more creative juices flowing than I have in the last year!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

rayc wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:28 pm That's expensive...I have three or four free 'tron VSTis and they sound pretty good. 1/5th or 20% of the cost of what?
The fact that the samples aren't seven seconds long is a problem that can be dealt with by adjusting the attack/release if you want that breathiness.
To get THOSE classic tones you need to treat the sample as if it were being amplified as in the 60s/70s: Fender amp, low & top end rolled off and oodles of spring reverb.
When the actual tape characteristics are important I use .wav files of direct tape rips.
So my CME keyboard and the plug-in combined is roughly 1/5 the price of a Mellotron 4000D, which I was looking at
rayc

Post by rayc »

The 4000D is nice as is your keyboard. I set myself up with an Alesis usb midi keyboard for AUS$50 delivered and the VSTi for free- plus the actual samples - again free.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Out of interest @rayc and @CrowsofFritz - how many keys do your MIDI controllers have?

I bought one last year, a Nektar (runs upstairs to check model) GXP61, with, obviously, 61 keys. And I have to tell you I probably should have gone 88 keys. I find it really annoying to have two and a bit whole octaves missing. I thought about it at the time, but it was a space issue on the desk, so I make do. Don't know how people cope with 49 keys and less.

It's not that I actually play anything much two handed, although I did piano as a kid for a few years, it's just that there's something off-putting about not having the full range available.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Armistice wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:05 pm Out of interest @rayc and @CrowsofFritz - how many keys do your MIDI controllers have?

I bought one last year, a Nektar (runs upstairs to check model) GXP61, with, obviously, 61 keys. And I have to tell you I probably should have gone 88 keys. I find it really annoying to have two and a bit whole octaves missing. I thought about it at the time, but it was a space issue on the desk, so I make do. Don't know how people cope with 49 keys and less.

It's not that I actually play anything much two handed, although I did piano as a kid for a few years, it's just that there's something off-putting about not having the full range available.
Mine is only 37. All I need. I’m not really doing anything too wild and the octaves are a button push away.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I have an old 49 key, but since I can't play the piano to save my life, I ended up with a 25 key to save desk space. I can't even play with 2 hands so even 25 keys is probably too much for me. I just chop-stick a few simple things from time to time. Mostly I just use a midi controller for drums because I can get a little better finesse with keys over pads.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Only a two and a half octave keyboard with a very quick n easy octave button as I've used it for upper mid rangey things so far it's pretty good...I've not yet tried piano and other keyboards. I'm mainly one to three finger stuff so have no skill or requirement for ten fingers in.
Cheers
rayc