Really more looking for arrangement feedback - ┌Physician┐ Bassisted Suicide

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
vomitHatSteve

Really more looking for arrangement feedback - ┌Physician┐ Bassisted Suicide

Post by vomitHatSteve »

So me and some friends are talking about starting a new band from the pitch "all bassists industrial band"

We've been bantering about it for about a year now without any real clarity on what that means, but we've sort of settled on the idea that it will be 3 core bassists, possibly a drummer, and whomever else wants to show up for any gig with their bass rig.
The one guy also runs a new-ish guitar store so is way too busy to practice or anything. So the idea that we have is that he would lead the "bass choir". He and all of the fill-in bassists would play a single riff looped throughout the whole song, and he would cue different members of the choir to drop in or out as the song needed.
Then I'm playing abomination, which functions as mid-range rhythm guitar; and running a sampler, which provides the industrial elements.
This leaves the third bassist as "lead" bassist, whatever that means to her (and drummer, trying to play nicely with the loops?)

So this is what I hashed out last night as a sample of just my own parts plus the bass choir
-physician- Bassisted Suicide - demo.mp3
Obviously, the mix is rough, but is the arrangement pretty coherent? Is there room to work in a lead bass line? Will a drummer be able to function with this? Played live, will it be an appropriate level of chaos that an audience might enjoy? What do y'all think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Really more looking for arrangement feedback - ┌Physician┐ Bassisted Suicide

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok i gave this a spin, one while consciously listening and following and the other while not.... (The first tm thru it was back ground noise)

So the first time thru as back ground noise. it just kind of ended. I did notice a bit of a build up to something and that was actually really cool. But it just flopped off.

2nd time around, it made more sense. But after having the seed planted in my mind already that the song just kind of dropped off (it doesn't really drop off it just felt that way) I feel like keeping that big feeling and just ending it bang done like a door slamming shut in the very last vocal line of SUICIDE.... 🚪

Kill the lights and the music.

this was my only take way. The lingering regdar noise after the vocals were gone killed the mood. 👍👍

Finally, this is a great idea VHS. You could do some cool shit with this idea. Look forward ot hearing more. And i'll be spinning Ned's Atomic Dustbin all day now too so thanks for that.
:happytrees:
vomitHatSteve

Re: Really more looking for arrangement feedback - ┌Physician┐ Bassisted Suicide

Post by vomitHatSteve »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:49 pm this was my only take way. The lingering regdar noise after the vocals were gone killed the mood. 👍👍
Hmmm fair point. Ending songs been one of my big struggles with the sampler as an instrument and anchor. An abrupt cutoff requires taking one hand off the stringed instrument and mashing the stop button. The other song I demoed yesterday for this project ends similarly.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I think the lyrical concept works better visually - quite clever - than aurally, or maybe you yanks pronounce the word assisted as ay-sisted, in which case it works just fine. I'd be worried people wouldn't "get" it live. Although you could certainly do lots to emphasis the "bass" part to make it clearer, I guess.

I don't mind the ending at all.

Lead bass? Hmm... not so sure there's room for another bass in there - but it would very much depend upon what they were doing, I guess.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

No, we do pronounce it uh-sis-ted. Yeah, I was definitely trying to emphasize the pronunciation of "bass". I suspect live, not a lot of lyrics will make it through at all tho, especially with half a dozen or more bassists on stage! :D

Thanks for the input, armi!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:38 pm No, we do pronounce it uh-sis-ted. Yeah, I was definitely trying to emphasize the pronunciation of "bass". I suspect live, not a lot of lyrics will make it through at all tho, especially with half a dozen or more bassists on stage! :D

Thanks for the input, armi!
If you fed "assisted suicide" into the lyrics in one line then "bassisted suicide" into the next, that kinda might make the point too.