Love In Vein

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Lance Manyon

Love In Vein

Post by Lance Manyon »

Drummer and bass player were both out of town and I got sick of waiting for them so I did it all myself. My drum skills are that of an acceptable novice and I doubt that I'd ever get a paying drum gig. :tongue:

For the drum sound I went for an early AC/DC (Powerage album) which relies a little more on the overhead micing than individual drum micing.
Guitar sound I went for an Airbourne sound. Airbourne is also an Australian band.

So I guess I went for a bit of an Aussie hard rock song. :chillin

:stein:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
No more Mr. nice mean guy! :stein:
rayc

Re: Love In Vein

Post by rayc »

Welcome Lance,
It still seems like the drummer and bassist are out of town - or at least in the next suburb. They move next door part way through after the intro.
The rhythm section needs a big boost.
Solid riffage though I'm not a fan of the harmonized lead part...sounded like Boston crashed the session.
Details on what you used would be nice.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Bloody Canadians, first you stole great Australian artists like Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell and now your're lifting stylistic clues from AC/DC and Airborne... :lollers:

Agree with ray - mebbe just turn the guitars down a little bit and let the rhythm section through a little more. Good guitar tones, nice riffing all round. Bit of sharpness on some of the hi-hat work that could be sanded down, perhaps. It settles in as the song goes on, but upfront it seems a bit out of balance.

Glad to see you came back. You were the guy with the scotch collection, weren't you?

Now where's this story you promised us? I need to live vicariously through other people... :biggrin:
Lance Manyon

Post by Lance Manyon »

Armistice wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 8:32 pm Bloody Canadians, first you stole great Australian artists like Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell and now your're lifting stylistic clues from AC/DC and Airborne... :lollers:

Agree with ray - mebbe just turn the guitars down a little bit and let the rhythm section through a little more. Good guitar tones, nice riffing all round. Bit of sharpness on some of the hi-hat work that could be sanded down, perhaps. It settles in as the song goes on, but upfront it seems a bit out of balance.

Glad to see you came back. You were the guy with the scotch collection, weren't you?

Now where's this story you promised us? I need to live vicariously through other people... :biggrin:
Yes, I had the scotch collection. :coolstorybro:
Not is Canada anymore. Denver, CO.

Nice to see you guys.

For the drums I got exactly what I was looking for with regards to early (pre big drums) AC/DC. Only thing I would change about the mix at all would be to bring up the shaker in the choruses. :headwall:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I could see bringing up the bass a little, but the guitars are balanced well to the vocals. I think the whole mix is just loud overall, but I've got my own volume knob.

Around 0:14 there's a clicking sound (much like a ping pong ball) that's not quite in-time with the beat
There's another click on the and of 2 on the first and third measures of the acoustic guitar solo just before the 2 minute mark. It sounds like a metronome, but it might also be string noise.
armi wrote:Bloody Canadians, first you stole great Australian artists like Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell and now your're lifting stylistic clues from AC/DC and Airborne
He's also got a thin lizzy-esque twin solo, so we should see if the brits will get angry too!

Welcome back to hitting the ground running!
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

This is a cool jam. Welcome back.

Kudos to playing all the things. Was that a real drum kit or an E-Kit?

I am going to echo VHS and the loud comment. Any headroom is being eaten up pretty badly mostly by guitar and vocals. which wasn't bad as a rock and roll balls out jam. until i thought I heard a bit of acoustic guitar accents in there and it it's noticeable but not totally. It kind of gets eaten and swallowed up a by in all the other stuff. If you were to want to have the acoustic have some more space and feel in the jam you may have to rethink the loud upfront rock and roll mix you have here.

Solid jam Man. Confident vocal delivery is awesome!
:happytrees:
Lance Manyon

Post by Lance Manyon »

TheTestingYak wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:28 am good choon brav
Thank you, ya' Yack! :cheers1:
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:16 pm This is a cool jam. Welcome back.

I am going to echo VHS and the loud comment. Any headroom is being eaten up pretty badly mostly by guitar and vocals. which wasn't bad as a rock and roll balls out jam. until i thought I heard a bit of acoustic guitar accents in there and it it's noticeable but not totally. It kind of gets eaten and swallowed up a by in all the other stuff. If you were to want to have the acoustic have some more space and feel in the jam you may have to rethink the loud upfront rock and roll mix you have here.

Thank you, WJ. Yeah, real drums. I am tending to agree to a degree with the earlier posts in that the guitars may be a tad too loud, thus burying the drums just a pinch. All in all I'm happy with it and appreciate everyone for chiming in. :illdrinktothat:

It's fucking CANADA cold in Denver today. The fuck is going on!?
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Cool tune!

Riff and guitar sound reminds me of Def Leppard's "Let it Go"

I think you have a ride cymbal bell playing at 2:50....it just sticks out for me and is a distraction.

The overall level is a bit hot as well as others have mentioned.

Good sounds all around, the drums could be brought up a bit or the vocals and guitars down to level things out.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lance Manyon wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:08 pm
TheTestingYak wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:28 am good choon brav
Thank you, ya' Yack! :cheers1:
WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:16 pm This is a cool jam. Welcome back.

Thank you, WJ. Yeah, real drums. I am tending to agree to a degree with the earlier posts in that the guitars may be a tad too loud, thus burying the drums just a pinch. All in all I'm happy with it and appreciate everyone for chiming in. :illdrinktothat:

It's fucking CANADA cold in Denver today. The fuck is going on!?
As long as you are happy with man! :like:

Yea this polar snap is mental. We finally got a break from it yesterday as it warmed up to about -17C in my town. Sunday it hit about -50 and it kicked the shit out of my tires. two of them went flat. A good sing on have a slow leak to contend with. Our front doors latsh froze up tight as we have a wram air leak in three spots there so thats gotta get fixed when it is warmer and the handle fell off the back door. It was bad here. We are supposed to see sustained cold temps in my neck of the woods but nothing as brutal as what we just went thru.
:happytrees: