Interesting find inside my Mesa amp

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Tadpui

Interesting find inside my Mesa amp

Post by Tadpui »

I'm packing up the studio in preparation for our move, and I just started packing up my amps. As I was putting away the footswitch and power cable on my Lonestar Special, I heard a rattling when I tipped the amp back. I fiddled with it for a while, making sure it wasn't just the speaker cable rattling against something. Nope, it was coming from inside the chassis. Weird.

So I opened it up, and lo and behold there was a random "extra" capacitor rattling around loose inside of the chassis! There appears to be a solder joint that was resoldered at some point on the filter cap (I think those are the filter caps, at least). I vaguely remember bringing the amp in for service a long time ago, but I didn't remember when. Then I saw the tech's signature on the chassis from April of 2011. I don't remember what I brought the amp in for, maybe it was the first time that the rectifier tube blew (it's blown 2 or 3 times). So maybe the tech replaced one of the filter caps as part of the service? No idea. But the extra cap doesn't appear to have come off the board or anything, I think the tech just left it rattling around in there and I just noticed it for the first time nearly 13 years later.
PXL_20240108_211703437.jpg
PXL_20240108_211732305.jpg
PXL_20240108_211708985.jpg
PXL_20240108_211826780.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Re: Interesting find inside my Mesa amp

Post by Greg_L »

Wow what a shitty solder job lol.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:16 pm Wow what a shitty solder job lol.
I thought the same thing :D At least it settled my nerves to be able to clearly see that it'd been replaced and the one that was loose in the chassis was almost certainly a spare!

I wish I remembered what I sent it in for, and where I took it. I'd like to avoid taking any of my amps there again :)
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That's just all-around really shoddy work. Bad solder joint and leaving an entire fucking filter cap banging around? Lol. Janky.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:51 pm That's just all-around really shoddy work. Bad solder joint and leaving an entire fucking filter cap banging around? Lol. Janky.
That's the surprise cap for making the amp extra loud exactly one time when it shorts the wrong circuit.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:48 am

That's the surprise cap for making the amp extra loud exactly one time when it shorts the wrong circuit.
:lollers2: :lollers2:

Yeah pretty much. That's the pyrotechnics capacitor.
Rebel Yell