Thoughts? expeirence? Homemade conductive paint?

DIY Studio Stuff
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Thoughts? expeirence? Homemade conductive paint?

Post by WhiskeyJack »

All,

Because the Canadian winter finally decided to show up and grace us with a little bit of snow and the -20C temps we are used to I can't get any shielding paint shipped to my area. I ordered 8oz and it froze. The retailer is not confident shipping another 8oz's will have any better results. So they are going to refund me and I am on my own.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on trying something like this? It looks like it could work pretty well based on what i see here but how legit is this? Is it really just some craft paint mixed with graphite? Shame graphite doesn't come in seafoam green!!???? :lollers: :lollers:

Also this is what my paint looked like when it got to my house. Pics and video at the following link.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JLeZSNm9CZoGw6i2A
:happytrees:
rayc

Re: Thoughts? expeirence? Homemade conductive paint?

Post by rayc »

Frozen paint? It can't be thawed? Reconstituted? Grind it up and add it to another paint?
Cheers
rayc
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:14 pm Frozen paint? It can't be thawed? Reconstituted? Grind it up and add it to another paint?
I don't think so. I think paint is one of those few things that once it freezes it's done and no longer recoverable. If i recall back to my building supply store era of my life we once had to write off a few cases of house paint every year due to improper transportation storage (freezing enroute). I believe it's properties change entirely after being frozen. My example in the video would support that. The video in the link i shared shows what the paint looked like after 24 hours of being back at room temperature. I don't think even adding water could even bring it back to what it once was. I suppose i could try maybe but i don't know what to do to get it into a brushable substance. As it is now it's just lumps of crystalized whatever.

The retailer did respond and say it shouldn't look like that at all if it is thawed. They agreed it is unusable for it's intended purpose.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Can you put off whatever you need it for for a few months?

I'm sure your wife has other things for you to be working on instead... :lollers:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:27 pm Can you put off whatever you need it for for a few months?

I'm sure your wife has other things for you to be working on instead... :lollers:

This is a guitar repair job for one of her friends husbands that i have been sitting on since before i broke my knee in September of 22.... :happytrees: :happytrees:

It has sat plenty long enough. :lollers2: :lollers2:
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Is it a water based paint or solvent? Try warming it up in hot water to see if it melts like chocolate and then add some solvent to thin. As long as the cavity in the guitar is black I doubt your wife's friend's husband will know if it is shielding or not :sherlock:
Cheers
Chris
my music
muttley

Post by muttley »

Make your own. I do.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:20 am Make your own. I do.
I am all for that. You got a recipe worth sharing? I had found another video where i believe the guy did 1.5 :1 mix of paint to graphite powder and then added a few drops of water to it to so it left little to no brush strokes and that seemed like a jumping off point but i'd honestly take your tips over youtube.
muttley

Post by muttley »

TBH mate, it isn't really rocket science. I have a load of different recipes depending on what finish I am using on the guitar. The finish is just a carrier for the conductive graphite or additive. Go with whatever seems the simplest and with what you can get or have to hand. It aint rocket science and it's never seen except when you take the cover off. Test on scrap if you are after a certain look. In this case, don't over think it.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:12 am TBH mate, it isn't really rocket science. I have a load of different recipes depending on what finish I am using on the guitar. The finish is just a carrier for the conductive graphite or additive. Go with whatever seems the simplest and with what you can get or have to hand. It aint rocket science and it's never seen except when you take the cover off. Test on scrap if you are after a certain look. In this case, don't over think it.
Nah no over thinking i am just looking to get this off my list of things the do really so i can move on to stuff of my own. The cold weather here has snapped and i can semi-comfortably get back out in my shop this weekend and get going on this project for a friend again. Just doing black for his is all. I can try some experiments for my own guitar.

Graphite is the big one additive that comes up a lot but I'm sort of at a loss for anything else that could do the same job? I like simple though.

I will say this trying it find graphite locally in a size bigger then 6 or 8 grams for lubricating locks and stuck metal parts is next to impossible.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:51 pm
I will say this trying it find graphite locally in a size bigger then 6 or 8 grams for lubricating locks and stuck metal parts is next to impossible.
So that got me curious as I have some upstairs in the studio.

50g bottle. Checked the local big box hardware store I bought it from to see if they had a bigger size, but they don't. How much do you need for a small batch of paint?

$7.80.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/pressol-50g ... lsrc=aw.ds

A lifetime supply for putting in guitar nut grooves, probably. I can squirt half of it into an envelope and send it to you if you like. Give the customs people something to worry about. Possibly write "Caution: contains anthrax" on it as well. :lollers:

But here, try yer local Amazon... enough left over to sprinkle on your cornflakes for months...
Screenshot 2024-01-24 074627.png
:wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:18 pm

50g bottle. Checked the local big box hardware store I bought it from to see if they had a bigger size, but they don't. How much do you need for a small batch of paint?

$7.80.

A lifetime supply for putting in guitar nut grooves, probably. I can squirt half of it into an envelope and send it to you if you like. Give the customs people something to worry about. Possibly write "Caution: contains anthrax" on it as well. :lollers:

But here, try yer local Amazon... enough left over to sprinkle on your cornflakes for months...

Cheers armi!!! Yes, i see i can get a bunch of it in bulk on amazon thats no problem but, sometime i like to leave the house to come up for air, grab a coffee and people watch a little bit before hiding back in my house gain for week or so.

I will likely just end up ordering it from amazon. I forgot i have prime for another month. :like: :like:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:43 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:18 pm

$7.80.

Cheers armi!!! Yes, i see i can get a bunch of it in bulk on amazon thats no problem but, sometime i like to leave the house to come up for air, grab a coffee and people watch a little bit before hiding back in my house gain for week or so.

I will likely just end up ordering it from amazon. I forgot i have prime for another month. :like: :like:
You should definitely go outside, get a coffee, watch some people and then order it from Amazon on your phone whilst you're sitting in the cafe... :lollers:
muttley

Post by muttley »

muttley wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:12 am TBH mate, it isn't really rocket science. I have a load of different recipes depending on what finish I am using on the guitar. The finish is just a carrier for the conductive graphite or additive. Go with whatever seems the simplest and with what you can get or have to hand. It aint rocket science and it's never seen except when you take the cover off. Test on scrap if you are after a certain look. In this case, don't over think it.
Nah no over thinking i am just looking to get this off my list of things the do really so i can move on to stuff of my own. The cold weather here has snapped and i can semi-comfortably get back out in my shop this weekend and get going on this project for a friend again. Just doing black for his is all. I can try some experiments for my own guitar.

Graphite is the big one additive that comes up a lot but I'm sort of at a loss for anything else that could do the same job? I like simple though.

Do you have any hobby stores nearby? Craft stores etc? They often carry it in smaller amounts.

When I said don't over think it I didn't mean anything other than get stuck in and do some tests then have at it. I can put stuff off now I'm semi retired but you guys can't. :razz: :wink:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Ok so, in an wildly odd turn of event's it seems this product has somehow come back to life. I don't understand the science here. Perhaps it might have something ot do with the grpahite or whatever additive they used in this staying frozen longer thna it should have??? I don't know.

But after ordering a shitload of graphite powered on amazon over the weekend i figured i'd reuse the container the bad stuff was in to use a mixing pot for the new stuff. Remarkably it is just pure liquid paint consistency now. I don't understand??? I check this tub of shit for well over a week i'd pick it up give it a shake, have a peek and it was always just a big tub full of what looked like crustal slush. I let it sit for a few weeks...

Presto it's paint again.

I'll run a few tests onto on some scrap wood here tonight after the tot goes to bed.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I hope you'll lube the guy's nut for free with all your spare graphite...
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:30 pm I hope you'll lube the guy's nut for free with all your spare graphite...
:spacepalm:

I'm gonna lube every nut in this house, his house and on my block and then sell what's left to the local lock smith. :like: :like:
► Show Spoiler
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:35 am
Armistice wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:30 pm I hope you'll lube the guy's nut for free with all your spare graphite...
:spacepalm:

I'm gonna lube every nut in this house, his house and on my block and then sell what's left to the local lock smith. :like: :like:
► Show Spoiler
Don't go mad. That stuff has a shelf life of around 2 million years. Keep some back as an investment. :cool: