A cool finish for your nexr guitar project

DIY Studio Stuff
CeeBee

A cool finish for your nexr guitar project

Post by CeeBee »

How about a crackled finish on the guitar?
Cheers
Chris
my music
vomitHatSteve

Re: A cool finish for your nexr guitar project

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That's neat.
Tho having seen the red, I would definitely opt for something that didn't look like a wannabe frankenstrat
rayc

Post by rayc »

Yeah, the demo model is a bit too EVH. I used to be into wild finishes but these days I don't care what things look like unless they are fun & whacky 60s Japanese things.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Nope
Rebel Yell
Farview

Post by Farview »

This was all the rage 35 years ago...
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Not my thing, especially in that colour combo. Very EVH, as noted.

This type of crackled finish, apart from being a hair metaller's wet dream, is a bit more interesting.

Love a sparkle. Crackle not so much.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

When I was just getting into playing electric guitar in the late 80s and early 90s, our town's only music shop carried Series 10 guitars. Anybody remember those? They were pretty low quality imported super Strat guitars and they loved using that crackle finish. I still think of Series 10 every time I see that finish.

I still have my Aria Pro II tiger stripe guitar. It lives in the closet. he doesn't get to play with the other guitars lol
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Why is the neck still attached?!
muttley

Post by muttley »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm Why is the neck still attached?!
It's a sacrificial dummy stick, just screwed to the body to aid handling and hanging.

Or if you mean the second video, it's a pile of shite. :wink:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

muttley wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:24 am
vomitHatSteve wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:12 pm Why is the neck still attached?!
It's a sacrificial dummy stick, just screwed to the body to aid handling and hanging.
Ohhh! How about when they paint under where it attaches tho?
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I have somehow slept on this thread entirely.

It's an interesting technique. I've seen other ones where they dip the guitar into a bucket of water filled with layer of paint and stuff that sits on the surface. It is pretty cool too. I like the different ways people come up with doing some of this stuff. I don't know that i would ever try to take on a finish like those but i can respect the effort put into it.
:happytrees:
muttley

Post by muttley »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:39 pm
muttley wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:24 am

Ohhh! How about when they paint under where it attaches tho?
You don't. The neck pocket isn't finished other than from the overspray that creeps in during spraying and any sealing you may want to do pre assembly.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:41 pm I have somehow slept on this thread entirely.

It's an interesting technique. I've seen other ones where they dip the guitar into a bucket of water filled with layer of paint and stuff that sits on the surface. It is pretty cool too. I like the different ways people come up with doing some of this stuff. I don't know that i would ever try to take on a finish like those but i can respect the effort put into it.
That's swirling. The water bath is a mixture of soft water and borax with enamel paints on the surface that the guitar body picks up when it is immersed. I've done it a few times for shits and giggles. The guitar builds I am tired of these days are the epoxy ones.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:13 am
WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:41 pm I have somehow slept on this thread entirely.

That's swirling. The water bath is a mixture of soft water and borax with enamel paints on the surface that the guitar body picks up when it is immersed. I've done it a few times for shits and giggles. The guitar builds I am tired of these days are the epoxy ones.
I'm really bored of the epoxy thing in general. It is everywhere. I recently reached out to a local group of people for just general wood working assitance and tool tuning help and not even lying there are two 'epoxy' guys there and they are as loud, obnoxious and know it all as you might expect them to be. To their credit they seem to do quite well with there little ocean Beach looking cutting boards and what not but it doesn't float my boat really.

Yawn.
:happytrees:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Oh man epoxy crafting is everywhere. I noticed it a couple of years ago when I was watching a lot of woodworking on YouTube. It was almost overnight everybody was making epoxy wood hybrid tables and benches and guitars. The whole guitar made of pencils or jawbreakers or whatever random objects all boiled down to it being made of epoxy with the random thing just basically being a suspension in epoxy. It got tiring quickly, but it was cool to watch the first couple of times.

How the heck does an epoxy guitar withstand the couple hundred pounds of tension from the strings anyways? Seems it would tear out as soon as you got a set of .011 strings tuned to standard pitch.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:25 pm .............

How the heck does an epoxy guitar withstand the couple hundred pounds of tension from the strings anyways? Seems it would tear out as soon as you got a set of .011 strings tuned to standard pitch.
The epoxy used for pouring is not the same as the epoxy used as an adhesive or for grain filling. Each have various properties and the stuff for pouring will take a screw or a thread as good as any timber.