My Pedal collection

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
JD01

Re: My Pedal collection

Post by JD01 »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:38 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:13 pm
What Oceans 11 sounds interesting.
This one ! https://www.ehx.com/products/oceans-11/

I also do quite like the movies as well. They are a pretty good franchise of flicks.
Gonna be a couple or months yet. But it's on the list.

Not seen any of the films.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:28 pm I dragged out all of mine to see if I could reunite everything with their respective boxes.
How's the JHS Color Box thingy? I've seen a lot of their videos about it. Have you reviewed it on your channel. Seems cool but EXPENSIVE.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:16 am
I have a couple of pedals that I want this year.

3. A fuzz... I've been getting lost checking out fuzz comparisons - I have a clear idea of what I want, but I've never owned a fuzz, so dunno if they basically all do what I want when you dial them in, or whether I'm after something really particular - I'll just have to stop being so fucking lazy and try a few in a shop instead of just watching YouTube demos.
Delamo fuzz:

Best fuzz I've ever tried for 30 bucks.
I did some clips of mine in my "I bought it .. it sound like this" series.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice, I initially thought it sounded terrible, when he had the level and gain right up it was too harsh and glitchy, but then when he dialed one of the knobs back it did that warm squashy thing that I quite like.

That guy has a weirder guitar style than @WhiskeyJack
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

rayc wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:23 pm
Tadpui wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:28 pm I dragged out all of mine to see if I could reunite everything with their respective boxes.
How's the JHS Color Box thingy? I've seen a lot of their videos about it. Have you reviewed it on your channel. Seems cool but EXPENSIVE.
Ya know, I've had that pedal for 8 or 9 years, and it wasn't until the last year that I finally found it's place. Most of that time it's just been gathering dust. I didn't like the clipping on it, it wasn't very good as a bass pedal, and it didn't do much for vocals since it doesn't have phantom power.

But recently I put it back in my pedal chain as a first stage of eq, boost, and slight overdrive. Basically a "dirty clean" with a bit more low frequency saturation, and I'm in love with it. I follow it with another overdrive or precede it with a fuzz and it's become an always on effect for me.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

JD01 wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 5:37 am Nice, I initially thought it sounded terrible, when he had the level and gain right up it was too harsh and glitchy, but then when he dialed one of the knobs back it did that warm squashy thing that I quite like.

That guy has a weirder guitar style than @WhiskeyJack
:happytrees: :happytrees: :happytrees:
:happytrees:
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 pm
Ya know, I've had that pedal for 8 or 9 years, and it wasn't until the last year that I finally found it's place. Most of that time it's just been gathering dust. I didn't like the clipping on it, it wasn't very good as a bass pedal, and it didn't do much for vocals since it doesn't have phantom power.
Why would phantom power affect whether it worked with vocals?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, what a weird playing style - seems a little limiting, but I'm sure it works for whatever he does. Question is why...
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Armistice wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:37 pm Jesus, Mary and Joseph, what a weird playing style - seems a little limiting, but I'm sure it works for whatever he does. Question is why...
I actually picked that at random and didn't notice the playing style .... I just grabbed any vid I saw on that pedal.
Check out some other vids of that pedal cause it really is a very good fuzz.

Maybe he has a fucked up wrist and has to play that way.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Yeah, a wrist injury seems a likely candidate.

I may kick it over to a friend who both wrists injured badly years ago and a really distinct playing style from it and get his opinion.

My other thought, is maybe he's just used to an overhand playing style from a different instrument? Pedal steel?
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:16 pm Yeah, a wrist injury seems a likely candidate.

I may kick it over to a friend who both wrists injured badly years ago and a really distinct playing style from it and get his opinion.

My other thought, is maybe he's just used to an overhand playing style from a different instrument? Pedal steel?
there was a well-know bassist in Baton Rouge named Alva Snelling that was born with those 'club' hands with just a few fingers who played sorta like that.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:16 pm
Tadpui wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:00 pm
Why would phantom power affect whether it worked with vocals?
Because most of my favorite mics for vocals are condensers. I mean i can technically sing into anything, but my faves all require 48V and I'm too lazy to buy a stand alone phantom power supply. Not too long after giving up on the Colour Box, I got a BAE 1073 which is pretty much what the Colour Box is emulating. Now that thing has been amazing through the years, it's a legend. Well I guess the Neve original is the legend but the BAE does an upstanding job of cloning it.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:22 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:16 pm Yeah, a wrist injury seems a likely candidate.

there was a well-know bassist in Baton Rouge named Alva Snelling that was born with those 'club' hands with just a few fingers who played sorta like that.
Interesting.

Well, I asked both of my friends with serious wrist injuries, and neither of them could vouch for this technique specifically, but they said it might be an explanation.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I was thinking about this thread and realized I actually have way more amps than pedals.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:35 am I was thinking about this thread and realized I actually have way more amps than pedals.
Currently, my pedal to amp ratio is even. 2 and 2. I have a Silvertone pedal I haven’t quite found a setting I like with yet. The other is a DS1
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I'm gonna get a couple more amps when I finally sort my loft conversion. There's a few little heads I like and I also want a small Fender. I'm even looking forward to using my old Peavey Bandit again.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

HMMM .... my pedal to amp ratio is 7.5:1 ...... lol ..... don't need more amps but there's always room for another pedal
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Sun Jan 14, 2024 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Wait...lol you don't have 7.5 amps per every pedal.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 3:55 pm Wait...lol you don't have 7.5 amps per every pedal.
fixed it .......... lol
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lemme count up my transistorized noise boxes...

TC Polytune and various cheapo amazon chinese Donner type tuners - I need a tuner
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive -ol reliable, use it for dicking around at home. Hasn't seen a live gig or recording since I don't know when.
TS-9 Tube Screamer - Same as above
MXR Phase 90 - Same as double above, but IMO this is THE phaser to have if you like to phase
Boss BF-3 Flanger - probably the worst flanger ever, I hate it's guts.
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q - great wah, never need or want wah, but it's great as a wah.
MXR 10 band EQ - I like it for EQ and boosts because that's what it does but I don't ever use it.
TC Flashback Delay - I like it, it's a delay, all it has to do is repeat-eat-eat-eat...it does that fine because delays are simple anyway. All I use it for is a quick rockabilly style slapback.
Boss TR-2 Tremolo - I use this one in heavy rotation in one of my live band projects.
TC Drip reverb - Same as above. Use it all the time when I'm not using the real spring reverb unit.
EP Booster - one knob clean boost, sat idle for years, just now recently using it again. I like it with my 2203/2204 style amps.
Two Klon clones - both sound okay, nice as mild boosts, definitely "transparent" as the hype claims, too big though so they sit idle and unused
ProCo Rat - Sounds like shit, hate it, vintage overhyped crap, don't know why anyone likes these things

So out of all of that, not counting the tuners, I use three of those regularly.
Rebel Yell