vaguely psych

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

vaguely psych

Post by rayc »

This is a project aimed at learning a few things, (mixing drums high amongst them). If it progresses beyond that point I'll need to replace the lead guitar.
BIAB provided drums stems, lead guitar, piano and organ.
I've added all other guitars, lap steel, bass and heavily processed vocals to try to sketch out a melody, (used a ring modulator so I'm listening to the notes and not my voice/words), with the verse n chorus repeated only the prechorusy thing changes.
CALPSYCH271223.mp3
Amended based on observations made.
CALPSYCH281223.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Re: vaguely psych

Post by Armistice »

Perhaps tag Greg re. the drums. To me there's an issue with the snare - always the hardest thing to do - but I'm not sure I could tell you exactly what. Touch bright, touch hard, touch too much/wrong type of verb - that sort of thing.

Not knowing exactly what tracks you have, it's hard to advise. I've taken to sending all drums tracks to a send track, snare at full volume, everything else at about -10dB and cymbals at about -20dB, then compressing the hell out of it, adding a couple of tape emulator plugs, then using that as a feed in track, volume to taste - enables you to reduce the volume of the actual snare track and tone down the "hit in the head" factor but still get a nice sound.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:10 am Perhaps tag Greg re. the drums. To me there's an issue with the snare - always the hardest thing to do - but I'm not sure I could tell you exactly what. Touch bright, touch hard, touch too much/wrong type of verb - that sort of thing.
Not knowing exactly what tracks you have, it's hard to advise. I've taken to sending all drums tracks to a send track, snare at full volume, everything else at about -10dB and cymbals at about -20dB, then compressing the hell out of it, adding a couple of tape emulator plugs, then using that as a feed in track, volume to taste - enables you to reduce the volume of the actual snare track and tone down the "hit in the head" factor but still get a nice sound.
Complicated even further by me preferring drums to be reasonably passive in a song like this - though becasue I know I'd get told to turn them up I did...and still mixing them as you can hear.
Thanks for the feedback - I'll play based on your obs tomorrow.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I think I agree with armi on the snare. It seems too loud

Lead guitar seems buried. Are you going for an "in the distance" kind of thing with it? Maybe bring it a bit closer
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.