Begin Again

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
rayc

Begin Again

Post by rayc »

hello Folks,
I started on a new song a week ago but gave up as the BIAB drum stems were in mono...a single overhead mono file, a single tom mono track & that same for room mic. Odd, I've encountered it before but this time kept asking questions. A fellow who writes Reaper scripts had done one to extract the original BIAB stem files and after some fiddling around over a couple of days I managed to edit the script so that I can extract the stems directly into Reaper...this rendered stereo o/head, tom & room files so I started the song again. It's unclear why BaiB does this - there are plenty of options when exporting to make stereo mono if wanted but not to preserve the stereo on drum stems. WEIRD.
Simple song with, as yet, a rudimentary drum mix and some experimentation with "lead" now that I have a decently "intonated" guitar. Nothing exciting...just double stops here n there.
BIAB provides the drum and the two organ parts.
The rest is my fault.
No melody or lyric at this point in time.
Verses are in A and choruses in C.
151223FRC.mp3
Here's a new mix.
Reduced the hihat highs a bit...easier now I have proper stems.
151223FRG.mp3
Amended based on observations
151223FRI.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by rayc on Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers
rayc
vomitHatSteve

Re: Begin Again

Post by vomitHatSteve »

That hat is crispy!

I like the bass sound
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

rayc wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:35 am after some fiddling around over a couple of days I managed to edit the script so that I can extract the stems directly into Reaper...this rendered stereo o/head, tom & room files so I started the song again.
Did i miss some news where you became a junior hacker or something ???? :confused:

As for the song Ray it;'s a good starting point. The drums sound pretty good fr BIAB. Why do i feel like that that piece of software is overly unrelaible when it comes to drums and mixing? Are they trying ot get people to use it as their main daw and source for recording or something? Why do yu get some drums in mono and others not? Or maybe you do an i ajust do not see those gripes and messages?

Bass sounds good and atypical RayC sounding. I kinda find the guitars a little bit thin and flimsy. I think they could be beefed up pending whatever gets thrown in for vocals.
:happytrees:
rayc

Post by rayc »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:35 am That hat is crispy!

I like the bass sound
I reduced the top end of the hihat track with a -6dB shelf.
The bass is my good old Vantage rather than the Knockhofner.
I still haven't resolved the noise issue with it but it's not perceptible in most instances and the bass, as you say, sounds decent.
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:48 pm
rayc wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:35 am after some fiddling around over a couple of days I managed to edit the script so that I can extract the stems directly into Reaper...this rendered stereo o/head, tom & room files so I started the song again.
Did i miss some news where you became a junior hacker or something ???? :confused:

As for the song Ray it;'s a good starting point. The drums sound pretty good fr BIAB. Why do i feel like that that piece of software is overly unrelaible when it comes to drums and mixing? Are they trying ot get people to use it as their main daw and source for recording or something? Why do yu get some drums in mono and others not? Or maybe you do an i ajust do not see those gripes and messages?

Bass sounds good and atypical RayC sounding. I kinda find the guitars a little bit thin and flimsy. I think they could be beefed up pending whatever gets thrown in for vocals.
Slowly learning things - the editing a script isn't hard when I have the script writing telling me what n where!
BIAB has it's own DAW - REALBAND which I don't like at all. It's VERY good with BIAB track and those problems I have had don't occur in it. The actual BIAB program is a little more DAWish in the 2024 version...still not a place I care to work on, or record, tracks. Guitars are a bit flimsy but I'll add some beef when I know where I'm going.
Bass - back to the old Vantage!
Cheers
rayc
rayc

Post by rayc »

No individual snare in this one - it's the OHs & room plus bleed from elsewhere.
Cheers
rayc
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.