New Honey Hunters - Hey Mister

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - Hey Mister

Post by Armistice »

Not sure what rhythm I'd call this... latin? :lollers:

There's a lot going on in this one, apart from the busy drums. :wink:

I tried a different mic position which got rid of a lot of the plosives which had been plaguing me, but the other various issues I'd been fighting with continue. It's also high up in my range so hard to compare the vocals with something lower down in terms of success of the mic position.

It also contains two things I don't usually do - a key change and a fade out ending - both at the same time. :eep: Not sure I've ever done a fade out ending, actually. :confused:

Anyway, have at it. And let me know if you have an uncontrollable urge to dance whilst listening. :wink:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MIX 1

DELETED

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MIX 2

DELETED

Last edited by Armistice on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CeeBee

Re: New Honey Hunters - Hey Mister

Post by CeeBee »

I didn't get up and dance, but it got me tapping my fingers. A lot going on there to be sure, but it works for me. Good one.
Cheers
Chris
my music
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Seems pretty good. I'm not hearing issues with plosives, so I guess that worked

I like the lyrics "used to be a hippy, friend, now you're a hypocrite"

That piano interlude is a good change up.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 12:28 pm Seems pretty good. I'm not hearing issues with plosives, so I guess that worked

I like the lyrics "used to be a hippy, friend, now you're a hypocrite"

That piano interlude is a good change up.
Cheers. Yeah, I was pretty happy with that lyric... had to find a place for it somewhere. Not entirely sure what the song is about though... :lollers:

At least no-one has said "FFS, turn the tambourine down!" Some of my finest hand percussion work, that tambourining. :biggrin:

CeeBee wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 6:24 am I didn't get up and dance, but it got me tapping my fingers. A lot going on there to be sure, but it works for me. Good one.
I'll take finger tapping... :biggrin:

Cheers
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Cool jam Armi !! It actually has a very different flavor than most of your stuff!! very cool! Maybe a ltin vibe? I can kinda hear that a little bit. It isn't obvious and if you hadn't have said anything i wouldn't have picked up on it.

There is like a drum fill or flam or something that happens around 1:23 - 1;24 that sounds pretty unnatural. I can't figure out f it is timing or perhaps not overly humanized or not but it does smack of fake drums.

The piano that comes in @ 1:4 or whatever also doesn't really sound like it is in the same space as the rest of the song. Might need some more space room air around it. And actually it sounds like the piano keeps going thru out the song. It is mushed in kinda. Mashy sounding. The mix around it eating it. Like i think i hear it in there but i can't be sure. Needs clarity.

Cool song. A much different flavor as i said before.
:happytrees:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:07 pm Cool jam Armi !! It actually has a very different flavor than most of your stuff!! very cool! Maybe a ltin vibe? I can kinda hear that a little bit. It isn't obvious and if you hadn't have said anything i wouldn't have picked up on it.

There is like a drum fill or flam or something that happens around 1:23 - 1;24 that sounds pretty unnatural. I can't figure out f it is timing or perhaps not overly humanized or not but it does smack of fake drums.

The piano that comes in @ 1:4 or whatever also doesn't really sound like it is in the same space as the rest of the song. Might need some more space room air around it. And actually it sounds like the piano keeps going thru out the song. It is mushed in kinda. Mashy sounding. The mix around it eating it. Like i think i hear it in there but i can't be sure. Needs clarity.

Cool song. A much different flavor as i said before.
Cheers WJ.

I think the mushy piano is because I had the internal VST reverb on the piano AND the general song bus reverb, so I've turned the internal one off and adjusted the general one. Turned it up a little in the verses so it's more obvious it's there.

Not sure about that drum thing. It's a real drummer's groove but the main items have been snapped to grid, but not by me, just the way it is. I can't hear anything particular bad at that exact time point, which is in the middle of a complex fill.

Update mix above...

(BTW, two others in this section just crying for your attention... :mrgreen: )
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Listening on laptop speakers, but I can't find any real nits.

It may be high for you, but your voice sounds great.

I like the touch at the end you mentioned, the key change fade out works.
rayc

Post by rayc »

I left a comment on this, or so I thought, a few days ago.
I remember listening for the rhythm given the O.P.
Hey mister...nice - reminded me of Smiley in the movies.
The wide left toms grabbed my attention in the 1st chorus but not after that.
Generally the bass could use either a tiny level lift or a peak to poke through.
Cheers
rayc
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.