I Will (Radiohead cover)

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
paulman

I Will (Radiohead cover)

Post by paulman »

Sometimes I like this, sometimes I don't. I've retracked the vocals since I first recorded it last week to make them tighter, as I discovered it doesn't sound as good when I sing raggedy harmonies as it does when Thom Yorke does it. They are tight now, I'm just not sure about my vocal tone. I'm wondering if I should have done the whole thing a half step down so that I could maybe get a little bit of balls in my falsetto, and not be struggling to maintain pitches.

Another thing I'm unsure of is what I did to carve out space for the guitar. It was getting washed over by the vocals, so I used a plugin called Trackspacer to cut some of the guitar's frequencies out of the vocal buss. I feel like it might have taken some oomph out of the vocals, but I'll have to do some more listening today with fresher ears (I retracked and mixed this yesterday).

The original is very dry and intimate, so I went the other direction and tried to make mine sound like choir boys in a cathedral. I mainly did this recording as an experiment in tasteful reverb. I'm normally very light with reverb, and I wanted to see if I could pull off using it more heavily without killing the mix.
I Will master 4.m4a
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
vomitHatSteve

Re: I Will (Radiohead cover)

Post by vomitHatSteve »

The falsetto's good. I wouldn't like it for a lead vocal, but on harmonies, it's a very clean tone. I think taking it down would make it get lost a little more since the pure tone cuts through well.

The whole thing seems to lean right to me.

Very loud mouth sound at 0:13

The guitar is audible, but it's not dominating... Yeah, you could probably cut the harmonies a little and boost it and have a good balance that way.
paulman

Post by paulman »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:26 am The falsetto's good. I wouldn't like it for a lead vocal, but on harmonies, it's a very clean tone. I think taking it down would make it get lost a little more since the pure tone cuts through well.

The whole thing seems to lean right to me.

Very loud mouth sound at 0:13

The guitar is audible, but it's not dominating... Yeah, you could probably cut the harmonies a little and boost it and have a good balance that way.
Thanks man. Yeah, it does lean right, I noticed it in the waveform when I rendered it. I think it’s just from one voice that I need to place better.

So far everyone who has heard it says the vocals are fine. I’m still skeptical. It’s been a few days, time to give it another listen I guess.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Good vocal efforts @paulman

This whole mix sounds super squashed. I feel like given the big vocal performance a more breathy air filed vibe would be cool. This just seems really slammed.

I can make out the guitars fine. If anything i think the real battle is all the parts and peices fighting with the bass pad texture thing you got going on. And maybe that is all in how you have this mastered or what have you.

I am also picking up on the right lean to the mix.
:happytrees:
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.
paulman

Post by paulman »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:17 pm Good vocal efforts @paulman

This whole mix sounds super squashed. I feel like given the big vocal performance a more breathy air filed vibe would be cool. This just seems really slammed.

I can make out the guitars fine. If anything i think the real battle is all the parts and peices fighting with the bass pad texture thing you got going on. And maybe that is all in how you have this mastered or what have you.

I am also picking up on the right lean to the mix.
Thanks @WhiskeyJack . There's no bass pad or anything. It's just three vocals and a guitar. I listened to it last night for the first time in a few weeks, and I can hear things more clearly now to try to fix them. When I will do that, I'm not sure.