New Honey Hunters - Anywhere But Here

Your Mom loves your mixes, but are they really up to scratch? Post your tracks here and get the community's feedback to help with the spit and polish. Impress us! We don't bite.
Armistice

New Honey Hunters - Anywhere But Here

Post by Armistice »

So I originally had plans to knock four songs out in the two weeks whilst GF was away, but then COVID got me. I got two done. This is the second and my first attempt to sing once I got my throat back. :mad2: I sang it on Tuesday and had a listen and thought "Nup... not doing it for me" so I chucked it all out and re-sang it with a different melody yesterday and then did various harmonies and have been processing all the vocals since then. Hence why it's v2.

A simple song about needing to get away from someone because they're driving you nuts.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MIX 2

DELETED

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MIX 3

DELETED

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

With luck I'll find time next week to get to song 3 which is just awaiting singing. Song 4 needs a new topic, haven't thought of anything yet, though. When finished, that'll be a full album.
Last edited by Armistice on Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vomitHatSteve

Re: New Honey Hunters - Anywhere But Here

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Listening to this one back-to-back with Kafka, the low notes in the vocals ended up a little buried by the lead guitar.

I like the driving bass on here.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Good tune. Got a kind of Sting/The Police vibe about it and I mean that as a compliment. I agree with Steve that the vocals get a little lost in places but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

This and Kafka have been a pleasure to listen to. :coolstorybro:
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 11:43 am Listening to this one back-to-back with Kafka, the low notes in the vocals ended up a little buried by the lead guitar.

I like the driving bass on here.
My perennial issue when singing down low! I've tweaked the volumes of individual syllables a bit, particularly in the very beginning where I think it's worst - you sort of settle in a bit after that - and wound the HPFs on guitars up a bit. Seems clearer to me know.

Cheers :like:

Mr Clean wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 6:33 pm Good tune. Got a kind of Sting/The Police vibe about it and I mean that as a compliment. I agree with Steve that the vocals get a little lost in places but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

This and Kafka have been a pleasure to listen to. :coolstorybro:
Thanks Mister C. Appreciate the listen and I'm very happy to be compared to The Police... :lollers:

I've tweaked the vocals a bit in a new mix. Cheers
rayc

Post by rayc »

Mix Three: Almost a Stranglers' bass tone & line...Toiler On The Seas style.
My ears seem a little sensitive today as the panned lead parts seem quite crisps.
Other than the ringing in my ears this is a good buzz.
Cheers
rayc
paulman

Post by paulman »

Nice! To me it brings to mind "Driver 8" era R.E.M.

The vocal is very dry, that's my only critique. Otherwise the mix sounds great.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Vocals are cutting through better. They sound almost crispy now. What did you change?
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:11 pm Mix Three: Almost a Stranglers' bass tone & line...Toiler On The Seas style.
My ears seem a little sensitive today as the panned lead parts seem quite crisps.
Other than the ringing in my ears this is a good buzz.
Thanks ray - I'll check the top end.
paulman wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:07 am Nice! To me it brings to mind "Driver 8" era R.E.M.

The vocal is very dry, that's my only critique. Otherwise the mix sounds great.
Cheers paulman. I have been drying vocals up a lot lately. Perhaps I've gone too far. I shall have another listen. :like:

Driver 8 - haven't heard that song for a decade or so. :biggrin:

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:23 am Vocals are cutting through better. They sound almost crispy now. What did you change?
I think I just wound the guitar HPFs up a little bit higher, possibly the same with the bass, just a touch, and then did some (more) automation of the volume envelope on the lead vocal. It wasn't much. By "crispy" are you suggesting I should dip the high mids a little perhaps?
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Armistice wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:38 pm
vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:23 am Vocals are cutting through better. They sound almost crispy now. What did you change?
I think I just wound the guitar HPFs up a little bit higher, possibly the same with the bass, just a touch, and then did some (more) automation of the volume envelope on the lead vocal. It wasn't much. By "crispy" are you suggesting I should dip the high mids a little perhaps?
Maybe. Actually, the crispiness sounds like it's almost exactly the same frequency as the hats closing, so maybe a dip right there.
TheTestingYak

Post by TheTestingYak »

good choon brav
Good Choon Brav.