'24 Partscaster Project

DIY Studio Stuff
Lt. Bob

Re: '24 Partscaster Project

Post by Lt. Bob »

you want a free body?
I have a black strat body you can have .... already sheilded too ... but it's routed for a trem and standard 3 p'up strat so you'd have to rout it out for anything else.
Where do you live?
Just shipping is all it'd be
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:26 pm you want a free body?
I have a black strat body you can have .... already sheilded too ... but it's routed for a trem and standard 3 p'up strat so you'd have to rout it out for anything else.
Where do you live?
Wales. UK. That would be great, Steve.
Just check the shipping, I'd rather take one off you rather than a random internutter.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Lt. Bob wrote: I used that body for my purple strat ... unfinished in this pic but it's that body only in purple
Ooo! That's a confident man's guitar!
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:30 pm The first thing you will need to do is mark exactly where the neck will sit in the pocket and then work from there. Most necks will be close at the very least. Strat and Tele necks rely on the bolt on rather than a precise fit of the pocket. I've seen really expensive strats with terrible neck pocket fit.
That's reassuring... bodging something a bit to make it work is something I'm totally happy with.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:26 pm you want a free body?
Where do you live?
Just check the shipping, I'd rather take one off you rather than a random internutter.
alrite .... I'll do that in the next few days .... where would I check, UPS ... our postal service?
I've never shipped anything internationally ..... I'd love you to have it .... I actually have been meaning to just bin it for a while so lets figure out how to ship it and it's yours.
I'll take a pic sometime today ..... I have no idea who made it .... it came from a friend at RecordingProject ..... he built a strat for me and I gigged it for severalyears ..... got tired of it and took the neck and put in on that offset body I got ( I showed it to y'all )
The pickups went into the purple strat and the body's just been a door stop.
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:46 pm
JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:20 pm
alrite .... I'll do that in the next few days .... where would I check, UPS ... our postal service?
I've never shipped anything internationally ..... I'd love you to have it .... I actually have been meaning to just bin it for a while so lets figure out how to ship it and it's yours.
I'll take a pic sometime today ..... I have no idea who made it .... it came from a friend at RecordingProject ..... he built a strat for me and I gigged it for severalyears ..... got tired of it and took the neck and put in on that offset body I got ( I showed it to y'all )
UPS and Royal Mail is pretty much the best way and that's how I ship stuff to the USA. You just have to do the UPS thing and it gets handed to Royal Mail when it arrives on our shores. A little tip is to declare the package as samples or gift which normally avoids any tax or import duties. Not sure how it works the other way but when we ship we have to declare the content. That's what I did for all you guys when I ship pickups to you'all. I cant do it regular but for a few or a one off it should be good....
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool, speak later. I've just got norovirus
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:54 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:46 pm
UPS and Royal Mail is pretty much the best way and that's how I ship stuff to the USA. You just have to do the UPS thing and it gets handed to Royal Mail when it arrives on our shores. A little tip is to declare the package as samples or gift which normally avoids any tax or import duties. Not sure how it works the other way but when we ship we have to declare the content. That's what I did for all you guys when I ship pickups to you'all. I cant do it regular but for a few or a one off it should be good....
thank ye' sir.

As it happens I'm going to UPS tomorrow anyways so I'll find out a cost
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

JD01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:22 pm Cool, speak later. I've just got norovirus
sorry to hear ... hope you feel better

I have it boxed up so shoot me your address .... I gotta go to UPS and the Post Office next couple days ..... unless it's just stupid expensive I'll just ship it
I
ll pm ya' since you may not want to send everyone your addy
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:19 pm

I have it boxed up so shoot me your address .... I gotta go to UPS and the Post Office next couple days ..... unless it's just stupid expensive I'll just ship it
I
Everyone knows he lives 69 Hobbit House Lane, Limeystan UK.
:happytrees:
JD01

Post by JD01 »

I
Feel a lot better now, pretty much exactly when you First offered it to me I started running to the bathroom every 20 mins... for 5 hours. I know its not really dangerous, but fuck me, it feels horrible
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:32 pm

I
Everyone knows he lives 69 Hobbit House Lane, Limeystan UK.
You can call him a Hobbit but for gawd sake don't call him a Limey, he's Welsh.... :biggrin:
muttley

Post by muttley »

Hey @JD01, I was just browsing for some info on the StewMac website to pass on to a mate and came across this. It will probably help you out a bit or give you a bit of certainty. They say pretty much what I said in that a Tele neck on a Strat body is more easily doable other than having to tinker with a scratchplate to hide the Gap where the heel joins the body. I would add that on some Tele necks the fingerboard protrudes over the heel so even then the gap may well be all but invisible. Hope it helps.

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-ideas ... rtscaster/
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cheers. I'll definitely read that.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

@muttley
Mutt, any compete clangers with either of these two?
I quite like the blue colour on this one - as discussed, I'm happy to make the rout bigger for the bridge pickup.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395164111811 ... R9DfjI-vYw
This one is very cheap and done in primer - I could have some fun spraying this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305374025198 ... p_homepage

Also, this one is has a bridge - while I'll likely change it out if its shit, it gives me something to work with in the mean time while I get the neck fitted correctly
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/395164186106 ... R9DfjI-vYw
muttley

Post by muttley »

Mate, any of them. I think you just have to take the plunge really.

The ones already routed for Humbuckers would mean less routing but in the scheme of things they ain't all that different.

I know you are intending on a tele neck pup? Is it to be in a tele bridge? If so just check that the mounting holes are not too close to the trem route. Various tele style bridges are available though and you can mount the pickup in other ways including modding a blank strat scratchplate.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

muttley wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:44 am Mate, any of them. I think you just have to take the plunge really.

The ones already routed for Humbuckers would mean less routing but in the scheme of things they ain't all that different.

I know you are intending on a tele neck pup? Is it to be in a tele bridge? If so just check that the mounting holes are not too close to the trem route. Various tele style bridges are available though and you can mount the pickup in other ways including modding a blank strat scratchplate.
Strat neck pickup (the good strat pickup), Tele bridge pickup. 'cos its only gonna have two pickups I was going to be modding a blank strat scratchplate anyway.

OK - I'm just gonna check a mate of mine has a suitable router, then I'll get the blue one.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Cool - just bid on the blue one.
I think I have an old mexican tele pickup in a mutt-pups box somewhere, so once I've got a blank scratchplate I can mount it on that to help me with my routing. Not sure what actual pickups I'm going to go for yet.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

muttley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:21 am . I would add that on some Tele necks the fingerboard protrudes over the heel so even then the gap may well be all but invisible. Hope it helps.
that would be a 22 fret neck right?
That's what I always choose because I can't get by with 21 frets.

And I didn't send him the body because it was gonna cost 80-100 bucks to ship it
muttley

Post by muttley »

Lt. Bob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:38 pm
muttley wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 11:21 am . I would add that on some Tele necks the fingerboard protrudes over the heel so even then the gap may well be all but invisible. Hope it helps.
that would be a 22 fret neck right?
That's what I always choose because I can't get by with 21 frets.

Correct sir.