New PC Build - FINISHED

Troubleshooting your gear or shopping around for new stuff. This is where you need to be.
musicturtle

New PC Build - FINISHED

Post by musicturtle »

I finished my build. So far it's been a great setup.
Decided to go with the graphics integrated in the CPU for now, as I don't play any games.

Below I added some photos from the build.

$800 for hardware, $150 for new Windows 11.

CASE - ASUS AP201 - Dimensions - w205 x h350 x d460 mm

CPU - Intel i7-12700K
RAM - DDR4 - 32 GB - 3600mhz - CL 16

STORAGE - M.2 - Operating and Program Files - 1TB Crucial Gen 4 NVMe SSD
- Media/Recording Files - 1TB Crucial Gen 4 NVMe SSD
- SATA - Backup - 500GB HP SATA SSD (Salvaged from old system)

CPU COOLER - Noctua NH-U12S - Redux
FANS - 2 x Noctua Redux 120mm

POWER SUPPLY - Corsair RM750x

Final Product
Finish.png

All the goodies-
Parts.png
Older SATA drive for backup...attaches to back side of case
SATA.png
SATA ON.png
RAM and M.2 SDDs installed
Memory.png
CPU Cooler installed
Cooler.png
Assembled motherboard installed in case
MB Install.png
Fans installed on bottom of case/Power supply on front panel
Fans and PSU.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by musicturtle on Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayc

Re: New PC Build

Post by rayc »

A start is better than an intention - well done.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

musicturtle wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 1:22 am

I wake up this morning and that very chip is on sale for $211 dollars.

Roadhouse New PC Blues

Da, da da, da da, da, da da da
Da, da da, da da, da, da da da

"I woke up this morning and I got myself a CPU
The future's uncertain but the end is a 'puter for you..."

:drums: :lollers:

Good luck. Keep us apprised of progress. :like:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Double post
Last edited by musicturtle on Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

After a week of research...I have settled on a build

My old machine is a 3rd gen i7 Intel machine from Lenovo. 16gb of ddr3 RAM, an external HD and a HDD inside. Most anything is gonna be a step up.

As I said before settled on i7-12700 as the CPU. Great price and great history of quality. Also runs a bit cooler than some of the newer gen chips.

One issue with this processor is it only supports DDR5 RAM up to 4800mhz. From what I can tell...DDR5 needs a higher frequency rate to get the benefit of it because it's latency is higher than DDR4.

So this morning when I saw a motherboard on sale that has all the bells and whistles I want...but is a DDR4 board...I made a decision to go with the older style RAM.

I wanted a smaller footprint so I went with a Micro ATX motherboard and a smaller case.

I am going to try to use the graphics built into the CPU...if that doesn't work out I will buy a seperate GPU.

Total price $811.00 US ($1050.00 if I decide to add the GPU)

This is the break down with prices:

Four items(RAM, CPU Cooler, PSU and OS) have not been ordered yet but should be in the next few weeks. Waiting out to see if some of them go on sale for the holidays as everything else has been bought at a discount.

CPU - $211
Intel i7-12700 -3.6ghz - integrated GPU

Motherboard - $120
ASUS B760m-Plus Wifi D4
Micro ATX form factor
2 x M.2 slots and 4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports
Rear USB (Total 8 ports)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 port (1 x USB Type-C®)
4 x USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports (4 x Type-A)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 port (1 x Type-A)
2 x USB 2.0 ports (2 x Type-A)
Front USB (Total 7 ports)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 connector (supports USB Type-C®)
1 x USB 3.2 Gen 1 header supports additional 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
2 x USB 2.0 headers support additional 4 USB 2.0 ports

RAM - $60
32 GB G Skill - 3600mhz

SSD - $65
1 TB Crucial P5 with Heat Sync

Case - $70
ASUS Prime AP201
Micro ATX case
205 x 350 x 460 mm(WxHxD)

CPU Cooler - $40
Be Quiet - Pure Rock 2

Power Supply - $120
Corsair RM750x

Operating System - $140
Windows 11 Home

GPU - $225ish
Nvidia RTX 3050
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I didn't see this before I replied via PM, sorry! I think you've got a good stable of components here. You can save a few bucks on the motherboard by going with a 600 series chipset since you're going with 12th gen intel, but the 700 series works just as well and the price is good as is.

You might want a couple of aftermarket intake and exhaust fans, depending upon what comes stock with that chassis. The stock fans are usually pretty bad but they'll get the job done.

For windows I generally do what you're doing and get a full license. I've been able to use the same 2 licenses for over 10 years now, from machine to machine as I've upgraded over the years. But if you want to save some cash and don't care about porting the license from machine to machine, you can get a single use license super cheap. I can dig up a link if you like. It's like $10 or $15 last I checked. But is really is single use...if you upgrade you'll almost certainly need a new license.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:17 pm I didn't see this before I replied via PM, sorry! I think you've got a good stable of components here. You can save a few bucks on the motherboard by going with a 600 series chipset since you're going with 12th gen intel, but the 700 series works just as well and the price is good as is.

You might want a couple of aftermarket intake and exhaust fans, depending upon what comes stock with that chassis. The stock fans are usually pretty bad but they'll get the job done.

For windows I generally do what you're doing and get a full license. I've been able to use the same 2 licenses for over 10 years now, from machine to machine as I've upgraded over the years. But if you want to save some cash and don't care about porting the license from machine to machine, you can get a single use license super cheap. I can dig up a link if you like. It's like $10 or $15 last I checked. But is really is single use...if you upgrade you'll almost certainly need a new license.
Thanks Tad, yeah, I know the case comes with one fan. Will look into adding some more as I put things together.

I have looked into the "discounted" Windows, I know they work and all, I just can't bring myself to go that route. And I like the ability to transfer it.

One thing about this micro MB is there are only two m.2 slots. I will use one for my program files and one for my project/media files. I have an older, really slow SATA SSD and/or Glyph USB drive that I can use for backing things up.
musicturtle

Re: New PC Build - FINISHED

Post by musicturtle »

Update in original post
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Looks great man! I like that little case. It's a different layout inside than what I'm used to, but I've usually built in roomier mid tower cases. That case makes good use of space, very nice and tidy. Well done!
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Cool!!! Nice job Tony! How did come to terms with all the bits and pieces?! How did you come up with a build
:happytrees:
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:43 pm Looks great man! I like that little case. It's a different layout inside than what I'm used to, but I've usually built in roomier mid tower cases. That case makes good use of space, very nice and tidy. Well done!
Thanks Tad.

The case is also mesh all the way around so that helps with cooling the insides in a smaller set up I think.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:20 pm Cool!!! Nice job Tony! How did come to terms with all the bits and pieces?! How did you come up with a build
Thanks WJ.

I did a lot of research and learning over the last 6-8 weeks. @Tadpui was a helpful resource when questions came up I had trouble finding answers to.

I go into my decisions at length below, but if you want the short version...I bought mostly next to the latest gen parts that were on sale and not made for heavy duty overclocking/gaming. I figured this is such a huge step up in speed and efficiency, that I could stay within a very realistic budget that way. Also, no RBG/flashing lights...Plain Jane for me.

I read several recommendations on the CPU(i7-12700) as a more price friendly model because of the newer generations coming out recently. When I saw it on sale for Black Friday, I jumped on it.

As far as going for the smaller microATX build...when I started looking at cases for a regular ATX motherboard, few would fit on my music crash cart. So I looked up some micro cases and found this one on sale as well. The motherboard popped up on sale. It was kismet(or being led by the nose by Amazon :eep: but let's go with kismet :coolstorybro: ). Got CPU, motherboard and case for $400.

With those in place I started looking deeply into a power supply, RAM and CPU coolers.

For the power supply, I really liked the Corsair RM series because they have a silent mode where the fan doesn't run when it's not being pushed. Great for music production. Also, this one I bought was not the most current, so a bit cheaper. The newer version's main difference is an output connection to power a top of the line graphics card, which I will never need, so I saved a few bucks there. Funny thing though, I was going to get a smaller and cheaper PSU by them, the rm750e, but it was gonna take a month to arrive, and the rest was coming in three days. I went ahead and spent the extra $20 bucks there :tongue: and probably got a better product anyway.

32gb of RAM seems to be plenty for what I do and I settled on something that would give me more bang for the buck.

The cooler I hemmed and hawed over. But as was with much of this build, budget was a factor and air coolers are much cheaper than good liquid coolers, so I went that way(also because I will not be overclocking my CPU, in fact, my MB doesn't support it). I was looking at BeQuiet models and the Noctua models in the $75 price range. I asked @Tadpui what he used in Lt. Bob's machine because they used the same CPU and he said the Noctua I was looking at getting. Done deal.....but then I saw their pared down version for $20 cheaper($55). It didn't come with some extras and had thermal paste already applied instead of a tube of it, which I loved because I hate putting that shit on myself.......and then I saw a bundle on Amazon where they gave you a fan that usually costs $16 for $5 more with the cooler. Now a really done deal.

The SSDs were Gen 4 instead of Gen 5 but still lightning fast compared to what I had been using.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Excellent work all around.
I've been looking at comp build lately but I don't need to do it as both of mine are reasonably up to date now.
Noise n fans have been my main interest.
I looked at a build the other day with NO fans, a big CPU heat sink like yours, a mesh case and and EXTERNAL power source. It looked really interesting. The fellow uses it for video editing so it'll get quite the work out. I'll be checking back on how it went after a few weeks.
I hope yours makes life easier and music making less annoying.
Cheers
rayc
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

rayc wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:15 am Excellent work all around.
I've been looking at comp build lately but I don't need to do it as both of mine are reasonably up to date now.
Noise n fans have been my main interest.
I looked at a build the other day with NO fans, a big CPU heat sink like yours, a mesh case and and EXTERNAL power source. It looked really interesting. The fellow uses it for video editing so it'll get quite the work out. I'll be checking back on how it went after a few weeks.
I hope yours makes life easier and music making less annoying.
Thanks Ray,

So far, so good.

Cubase loads and runs really fast and where I was getting CPU spikes, noises and dropouts it appears it's not even breaking a sweat.

Next test will be using an amp sim in real time. Crossing my fingers there, but not counting on it being great. The latency caused by those is quite substantial.

Gonna do a touch of video editing on it eventually, but not for a while. When I do I plan on using Shotcut(open source video editor) which isn't as resource needy as some of the big boy editors. Really trying to avoid a video card, more fans = more noise. But the Noctura case fans I have not are super quiet.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

This thread might as well be in fucking Chinese.
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

What amp sim do you use, turtle?

I use Amplitube 5 and even my 2014 iMac handles it real time no problem. It was top of the line then, but that’s like less than bottom of the barrel today.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:43 pm What amp sim do you use, turtle?

I use Amplitube 5 and even my 2014 iMac handles it real time no problem. It was top of the line then, but that’s like less than bottom of the barrel today.
I use Bias FX Pro from Positive Grid.

Has more models than I will ever use and I like the user interface.
musicturtle

Post by musicturtle »

JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:05 pm This thread might as well be in fucking Chinese.
Haha, it was for me too, I learned a lot about what all the letters and numbers mean before purchasing.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

musicturtle wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:23 pm
JD01 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:05 pm This thread might as well be in fucking Chinese.
Haha, it was for me too, I learned a lot about what all the letters and numbers mean before purchasing.
I just whatever "off the shelf" PC I can afford.