Bought a little bass cab

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Bought a little bass cab

Post by Lt. Bob »

A TC Electronics BC208.

I'm having significant back problems and even though I downsized my bass rig from a big ol' SVT410HLF (absolute best bass cab I ever had ) to a 2x10 cab ... it still weighs 65lbs.

I can deal with it if I need to but for rehearsals and such I just don't want to.
Doc says I have compression fractures in my spine but I'll worry about that later.

In the meantime I wanted something liught and this only weighs a bit less than 22lbs.
Actually sounds pretty good ..... I don't think it would handle even a moderately loud club gig but it should do for practice.
On a gig it could only be a bass players monitor ... bass would have to be thru the PA.
It's pretty cool and definitely light!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lt. Bob on Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrowsofFritz

Re: Bought a little bass cab

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Pretty neat looking!

I think my Vox is around 45 lbs and it’s not really all that loud. I’m sure what you have can easily compete. But I love the sound so much. The Vox only works unmicd in a coffee house.

Actually, I take that back. I can’t remember how much I turned it up last time I was in one, but I doubt it was more than 5 or 6. But a decent sized, loud bar? Yeah, it’s gonna have to be micd. Or just go through a P.A.

I think the loudest it could get is like a restaurant that has something like a Celtic band playing where the music isn’t so freaking obnoxiously loud that you can’t even have a conversation at your own table.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:50 pm Pretty neat looking!

I think my Vox is around 45 lbs and it’s not really all that loud. I’m sure what you have can easily compete. But I love the sound so much. The Vox only works unmicd in a coffee house.

Actually, I take that back. I can’t remember how much I turned it up last time I was in one, but I doubt it was more than 5 or 6. But a decent sized, loud bar? Yeah, it’s gonna have to be micd. Or just go through a P.A.

I think the loudest it could get is like a restaurant that has something like a Celtic band playing where the music isn’t so freaking obnoxiously loud that you can’t even have a conversation at your own table.
Yeah ..... that's about all this can manage I imagine.
I'll know for sure on Monday when I rehearse with the 12-piece horn band.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

How much power can that little fucker handle?
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:51 pm How much power can that little fucker handle?
The TC Electronics site says 200w, which should be more than plenty for most practices and even most clubs. (Tho, I can't say with a 12-piece horn section!)
rayc

Post by rayc »

HORNS are loud!
TC is now a subsidiary of Behringer's holding company but they've been allowed to keep doing what they were doing...Danish design & Chinese manufacture.
Looks solid.
Yes bass cabs are awful things to lug about - I have an Etone 1x15 cab and a no name 2 x 15 cab. I actually tried to give away the 2 x 15 before moving but no one wants such a beat these days - it sounds great but isn't handy. Both cabs with my original 60w Clubman head were LOUD and with the Superbass - extremely loud.
Glad you're looking after your back.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:51 pm How much power can that little fucker handle?
Yeah it says 200/400 peak.
At 8ohms my TC amp (BQ500) only puts out about 250 .... so should be a good match.

If I did many bass gigs where I needed a rig then I might just buy another ..... that'd be 4 ohms and my amp would put out 500 .... prolly be a decent lightweight rig.
But most of the gigs have a backline so we'll see.

I'm tired of doing just the solo ..... I don't want to end my career only doing a solo.
I'm very grateful for having job security which is a rare thing for a musician, and it's made me a much better player/singer ..... but I simply have to start doing something else.
Fortunately Aunt Catfish is down with me needing that, so they'll just line up subs for when I want to take off to do other things.

Reuben says he has a buttload of gigs in 2024 for the trio/quartet/12-piece and all of those will be bass gigs for me so it's possible I may get some more bass gear depending on how it goes.
But whatever it is will have to be light or come with a roadie.
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:23 pm
The TC Electronics site says 200w, which should be more than plenty for most practices and even most clubs. (Tho, I can't say with a 12-piece horn section!)

not really sure about a club gig with anyone except maybe a cocktail sorta gig.
But I don't think the 2 8's will move enough air .... not enough surface area.

But Monday after rehearsal I'll let you know.
It's a rehearsal but with 4 horns and keys/bass/guitar/singers, it's gonna have some amount of volume so I think I'll be able to get a good idea.
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Lt. Bob wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:06 pm
not really sure about a club gig with anyone except maybe a cocktail sorta gig.
But I don't think the 2 8's will move enough air .... not enough surface area.

But Monday after rehearsal I'll let you know.
It's a rehearsal but with 4 horns and keys/bass/guitar/singers, it's gonna have some amount of volume so I think I'll be able to get a good idea.
I guess once you start getting above the 200 cap rooms, yeah, that'd be lacking.

I've always figured that once a venue is large enough that stage volume from a 1x12 is insufficient, it's on them to have a good enough PA to make up the difference.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Often the opposite is true. I play a lot of large-ish places that don't have adequate PA support for the full band. Our amps stage volume overloads their preamps. They complain, "you're too loud" and they want us to turn down but they also don't have adequate monitoring so then we cant hear ourselves. I'm not turning down if you can't give me adequate monitoring. So the solution is....blast the amps and don't mic them, the way God intended. A 100w amp and a 4x12 can fill a lot of space all by itself. The PA can do just drums and vocals and bass DI, the guitars are doing their own thing.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 11:26 am Often the opposite is true. I play a lot of large-ish places that don't have adequate PA support for the full band. Our amps stage volume overloads their preamps. They complain, "you're too loud" and they want us to turn down but they also don't have adequate monitoring so then we cant hear ourselves. I'm not turning down if you can't give me adequate monitoring. So the solution is....blast the amps and don't mic them, the way God intended. A 100w amp and a 4x12 can fill a lot of space all by itself. The PA can do just drums and vocals and bass DI, the guitars are doing their own thing.
Yeah ..... for my taste most places don't have sufficient PA ..... better venues do but run of the mill clubs just don't.
We have some of these gigs next year at The Bank and Blues which is a super cool venue and they have first rate stuff but others we'll be doing have no PA at all.

And I'm fine with blasting guitar on its own.

Often a soundguy might say I need to turn down and I'll ask, am I too loud?
"No but I don't even have you in the PA"

Well am I loud enough?
"Yeah but I don't have you in the PA."

Well if I'm not too loud and I'm loud enough I don't care if I'm in the PA.

However having no good PA requires a significant bass rig which is why, back in the day when good PAs didn't even exist, I used huge bass rigs .... at one point playing thru 4 A7's ( no horns ) with power amps driving them.
Or an SVT with two 8x8 bottoms.
I mostly was a bass player for about 25 years and all back when getting enough bass was difficult.
The rigs just got bigger and bigger.

LOL ...... you wouldn't have even noticed a 2x8 speaker. :lollers2:
We were LOUD!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:49 pm

Well am I loud enough?

Yes, that.

Fine don't put me in the PA. I don't want you mucking up my EQ anyway, you stupid flunkee moron soundummies.
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:54 pm
Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:49 pm

Well am I loud enough?

Yes, that.

Fine don't put me in the PA. I don't want you mucking up my EQ anyway, you stupid flunkee moron soundummies.
lol :like:

No shit ..... when you do get that rare soundman that's good it's wonderful but it's just fucking rare that I hear a soundman that impresses me.