Reaquainted myself with my Mesa Mark V combo

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
Lt. Bob

Reaquainted myself with my Mesa Mark V combo

Post by Lt. Bob »

A Mesa Mark V combo ... single 12".
I have a Weber Michigan alnico in it.

Anyways I've been meaning to sell it the last few years. It's a 3500 dollar amp these days and it just sits in my studio because I use the two amps Greg built for me and just don't gig with amps that much anymore anyways. I love those two amps and use them when I can.

But this last week I was gonna play with Jenn's band at her Friday gig.
And I wasn't sure what I'd run into and would there even be a mic for the guitar amp.

I called the guitar player and informed him that I'd be playing with them on Friday. lol
Now New Orleans musicians aren't what I remember from 20 years ago ..... these guys are all structured with no idea of how to get their minds around someone sitting in.
Mostly they don't want me to ..... but I can kinda force my way up on stage with sax and inevitably they want me to stay and "can you come back tomorrow?"

But I hadn't played with Jenn's band before and they do lots of 80's and 90's stuff and while I have played sax with a band that did stuff from Perfect Circle and Hole just fine, I didn't want to just play sax.

Anyways I told him I was playing and when he wasn't enthusiastic I said, "My daughter's dying ... might be my last opportunity and I'm playing." lol .... it wasn't optional. :lollers:

So he said, "We don't play that loud .... you prolly won't even need a mic" I said, "Sax HAS to have a mic ...... and would there be a channel for the guitar amp?"
He said, "Guitar? You're a sax player"
No sir ... mostly guitar these days.

So now we get around to me using the Mark V ..... I didn't know if I was gonna get a mic on the amp and if they were loudish the 22 watt Deluxe or Marshall18 watt might struggle .
So I decided to take the Mark V .... I usually run it at 45 watts but it'll go to 90.
Actually good thing I did because not long after starting I flipped all the channels to 90 watts.
They did give me a mic BTW but I couldn't hear the fronts and they were loud enough that I was glad I had an amp with some oomph to it.
And there's NO way I could have gotten by without a sax mic.

In the process of getting ready for the trip I spent an evening dialing in the Mark V and rediscovered how amazingly versatile it is.
Each channel can be 10, 45 or 90 watts and TONs of EQ'ing and switching options. Like tons .... I'd forgotten about that.
Sounded great and got oohs and ahs from the band.

They're a trio which actually made it super easy to sit in and I was burnin' that night which made Jenn happy.
She'd been bragging on Daddy for years and these days, as sad as I am, it would have been possible for me to have a 'meh' night but I had a top flight night and afterwards they were all coming up expressing shock that I could play stuff I'd never heard.
I told them, "That's what I do .... it's my thing" And it is .... my personal favorite thing to do is play with people I've never met doing music I've never heard ... fun fun fun to me.

Anyways ..... not gonna sell the Mark V ...... when I need it I'll shine the Mark V light and it'll come out of its cave ready to do battle.
Awesome amp!
CeeBee

Re: Reaquainted myself with my Mesa Mark V combo

Post by CeeBee »

Awesome :coolstorybro:
Cheers
Chris
my music
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Glad to hear that the Mark V is finding some new life. That's such a cool amp. I came *this* close to buying one a while back but ended up going a different direction instead. Seems like it's the Swiss army knife of amplifiers, a little bit of everything in there. Good luck with the gigs, and enjoy!
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:21 pm Glad to hear that the Mark V is finding some new life. That's such a cool amp. I came *this* close to buying one a while back but ended up going a different direction instead. Seems like it's the Swiss army knife of amplifiers, a little bit of everything in there. Good luck with the gigs, and enjoy!
It is a great amp and yes, super versatile.

people tend to think of it as a metal amp but you can do absolutely anything with it.

Gotta bass gig coming up with the 12 piece horn band .... sorta looking forward to that.
CeeBee

Post by CeeBee »

Did anyone make a video of the gig?
Cheers
Chris
my music
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

CeeBee wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 3:07 pm Did anyone make a video of the gig?
actually yes .... a friend of jenns apparently records every minute of her gigs.
I'm gonna reach out to her and try to get a copy ... it'll be a lot of data so maybe I'll just send her a HD to put it on. Or maybe get it when I go back in Dec.
I did do an audio recording but due to time constraints I just stuck a couple of mics at random places.
haven't had a chance to listen yet so I don't know if it's any good but I may check it out tonight before I start practicing my bass parts for the upcoming 12-piece horn band gig.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Seems some music folk are like you said, set in their ways.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

rayc wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:13 pm Seems some music folk are like you said, set in their ways.
well I unset them! lol