Reaper version 7 has arrived...

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
Armistice

Reaper version 7 has arrived...

Post by Armistice »

... just when I didn't want it to. :mad2:

I've been ignoring updates for a few months but was thinking only this morning, seeing it was up to 6.83, that I should upgrade before it ticks over to 7.

Too late! :mad:

If I upgrade to 7 my licence will have to be renewed - and fine with that - just not right at this exact minute.

Anyway, I found the download page for previous versions, in case you're in a similar boat.

https://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php
Tadpui

Re: Reaper version 7 has arrived...

Post by Tadpui »

Ooh, I wonder what they added to justify making it v7? I'll have to check it out. V6 was a bit of a disappointment, being mainly a graphical update that I mainly hit the undo button on. But they've gotta pay the devs for the constant updates somehow. And I guess I'm happy to do it. I mean, I keep getting paid for my dev work so I can't complain.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I haven't noticed much at all in v6 - that I actually use anyway.

My main thing with upgrading is not to be the test dummy - I like upgrades to be in the market for months before I do them. Reaper have been pretty good over the years but it's still a "thing" I have, if possible. Don't be an early adopter... :lollers:
rayc

Post by rayc »

The only thing I want to upgrade to is Razor Edits to make PreFx Vol automation easier. then again it may be in my current version but I've not noticed it.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I use Reaper at about .05% of it's capability so as long as it still records and mixes I'm good with whatever they update. I've never in my life needed it to do something it couldn't already do. All of the updates are lost on me.

What I hate is changing the appearance. I'm still using version 2 theme I believe.
Rebel Yell
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:12 am
What I hate is changing the appearance. I'm still using version 2 theme I believe.
Got you beat:
theme.png
I can't recall any instances of seeing a Reaper update list and saying "oh! I was waiting for that feature"
But I do know that I eventually stumbled upon features that I love that came with updates since my second purchase.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:06 pm

Got you beat: theme.png
:coolstorybro: :coolstorybro: :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

I found how to Razor Edit in the 6s so I don't need to update.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

rayc wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:07 pm I found how to Razor Edit in the 6s so I don't need to update.
It's only as a result of your post that I even knew it existed!

I watched Kenny G's video on it yesterday - I'm not sure I've yet seen a use for it, but at least I know it's there now.

What do you use it for?
rayc

Post by rayc »

Armistice wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:54 pm
rayc wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:07 pm I found how to Razor Edit in the 6s so I don't need to update.
It's only as a result of your post that I even knew it existed!

I watched Kenny G's video on it yesterday - I'm not sure I've yet seen a use for it, but at least I know it's there now.

What do you use it for?
It's REALLY good for PreFX Volume automation to address sibilant & plosive stuff. It requires high magnification/zoom with or without it. It reduces the key strokes to put in the usual four points to just hold down Alt & the right click button while dragging. WAY faster though it'll take a little getting used to. I found it yesterday and tried it last night - for me it's a win as I do a lot of that sort of automation editing. BUT you need to have the automation in it's own lane - I usually have them in the media lane.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

I just did my Reaper 7 upgrade and everything seems the same and I didn't need to renew my license.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:28 pm I just did my Reaper 7 upgrade and everything seems the same and I didn't need to renew my license.
Good deal. The license carries through 2 major revisions, so it sounds like you paid for your last license with version 5. I honestly don't remember when I paid for my last license (I think I'm on my 3rd one) so I might have to pay to upgrade. Hopefully I'll remember to do that this weekend and see how it goes. I think it's still $60 or $65. I can't get my current version to tell me if I need to pay or not.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:31 pm
Greg_L wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 2:28 pm I just did my Reaper 7 upgrade and everything seems the same and I didn't need to renew my license.
Good deal. The license carries through 2 major revisions, so it sounds like you paid for your last license with version 5. I honestly don't remember when I paid for my last license (I think I'm on my 3rd one) so I might have to pay to upgrade. Hopefully I'll remember to do that this weekend and see how it goes. I think it's still $60 or $65. I can't get my current version to tell me if I need to pay or not.
There's an obscure file somewhere in the Reaper folder that tells you the extent of your licence when opened up in a text editor. I had to google it to find out how. The program won't do it, which is a bit dumb. Perhaps that could be a future enhancement... :biggrin:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=282208

I'll have to buy a new licence - I must have started at 3 and got 4, then 5 and 6, so time to pony up for 7. Except not now. When I'm done on this project.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:41 pm There's an obscure file somewhere in the Reaper folder that tells you the extent of your licence when opened up in a text editor. I had to google it to find out how. The program won't do it, which is a bit dumb. Perhaps that could be a future enhancement... :biggrin:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=282208

I'll have to buy a new license - I must have started at 3 and got 4, then 5 and 6, so time to pony up for 7. Except not now. When I'm done on this project.
I found my license file and apparently it's for versions 6 and 7, so no payment needed this time. Yay!

My Saturday plans got snowed out, so maybe I'll update tomorrow and play around with the new features. That, and I just got Cities:Skylines 2 so I think my first snow day of the season is pretty well spoken for :)
rayc

Post by rayc »

The comping & take updates look pretty useful for a droob like me. I'll have to update.
Cheers
rayc
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

The look of my Reaper hasn't changed since I started using the Imperial Theme. I always update it but have no idea what actually changes, really. It all works the way I like it. I just assume there's stuff in the background that makes everything better.

R1.jpg
R2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mr Clean wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:12 am The look of my Reaper hasn't changed since I started using the Imperial Theme. I always update it but have no idea what actually changes, really. It all works the way I like it. I just assume there's stuff in the background that makes everything better.

R1.jpg

R2.jpg
Dang I like that one. Imperial huh? Where'd you find it?
Rebel Yell
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:50 amDang I like that one. Imperial huh? Where'd you find it?
Yeah, it's a sweet looking skin. :coolstorybro:

Get it here. https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1629/IMPE ... erThemeZip
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mr Clean wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:01 am
Yeah, it's a sweet looking skin. :coolstorybro:

Get it here. https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1629/IMPE ... erThemeZip
Cool thanks man. I may change themes for the first time in like 16 years. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 am Cool thanks man. I may change themes for the first time in like 16 years. :lollers2:
I've long forgotten what the orginal Reaper Theme looks like. :lollers:

I've been using the Imperial Theme since 2009. The linked one is an updated version of the original. It looks nice with my Tascam controller.

20231120_141130.jpg