Reaper version 7 has arrived...

Need a helping hand to make sure you do it right, first time? Got some good advice to pass on, so no-one makes the same mistakes you did? This is your forum.
vomitHatSteve

Re: Reaper version 7 has arrived...

Post by vomitHatSteve »

I seem to recall that a substantial portion of the changes from 5.x to 6.x were updates to features in the default theme.

So if you (as I) don't use a theme designed specifically for the latest version, you probably won't see a lot of changes.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Mr Clean wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:48 am
Greg_L wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:13 am Cool thanks man. I may change themes for the first time in like 16 years. :lollers2:
I've long forgotten what the orginal Reaper Theme looks like. :lollers:

I've been using the Imperial Theme since 2009. The linked one is an updated version of the original. It looks nice with my Tascam controller.

20231120_141130.jpg
Very cool! :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

I don't know what theme I use but it's on one screen only - I don't really want the damn thing spreading across both screens as I have other stuff that I need to see as well.
Mr Clean

Post by Mr Clean »

Armistice wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:43 pm I don't know what theme I use but it's on one screen only - I don't really want the damn thing spreading across both screens as I have other stuff that I need to see as well.
:lollers2: I'm thinking of adding a third screen for the plugins! I have ports for four.

I like having the mixer on a separate screen. Not a fan of having to scroll around a lot.
Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done! :coolstorybro:
vomitHatSteve

Post by vomitHatSteve »

If I were to upgrade, I would go to higher resolution screens first. I don't know how many tracks fit on my screen, but it's way less than the 90 I'd like.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:32 am If I were to upgrade, I would go to higher resolution screens first. I don't know how many tracks fit on my screen, but it's way less than the 90 I'd like.
Lol I don't use 90 tracks across 5 songs
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

vomitHatSteve wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:32 am If I were to upgrade, I would go to higher resolution screens first. I don't know how many tracks fit on my screen, but it's way less than the 90 I'd like.
Yeah - although I like everything on one screen, the screen that seemed so big 10 years ago, isn't so any more. 1920 x 1080 isn't cutting it once you get past about 20 tracks or so, which is easy given you get 24 on VST drums as standard. Will be factoring that into the eventual upgrade cost, I'm sure. :frown:

I always seem to delete 6 drum tracks which never have any drums assigned to them in any configuration I've tried. No idea what they're actually used for.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I run at 3440x1440 and I feel like if I went any higher resolution, I'd need a monitor the size of an entire wall to be able to read anything on the screen. I actually downscale my work monitors to 1080 to make screen sharing easier, but it's also just much easier to not go crosseyed while coding and reading emails.

I've been thinking through what my future studio setup will be. Right now it's my audio/video workstation and my gaming setup. So a single ultra wide works well for both purposes. If I end up moving my gaming out of the studio, I'd probably go back to dual monitors. I like having the track area on one screen and the mixer on the other.
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:44 pm If I end up moving my gaming out of the studio, I'd probably go back to dual monitors.
Are you planning two man caves in the new house???? :lollers:
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:58 pm
Are you planning two man caves in the new house???? :lollers:
Kind of, yeah :)

I'll have a dedicated office on the main level, and my studio in the basement. I can't decide if I'd rather game and watch YouTube videos in the basement or on the main level. I'm not sure how much time I'd want to spend in a windowless underground room if I'm not actively rehearsing, recording or mixing. I'd like to see my wife occasionally :D
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

OK - I'm going to try putting the mixer on a separate screen and see what happens.

This would be easier if I was still using my headphone amp but I'm not and the interface doesn't have a physical control for playback volume, so that means mousing it via Total Mix, which means having that on a screen somewhere. Other problem is I'm looking straight at the middle of the main monitor, so the other one is off to the left. Probably should centralise more if the mixer is on the left screen, but the monitors are different sizes and resolutions so that's also a bit of a pain.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Armistice wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:22 pm OK - I'm going to try putting the mixer on a separate screen and see what happens.

This would be easier if I was still using my headphone amp but I'm not and the interface doesn't have a physical control for playback volume, so that means mousing it via Total Mix, which means having that on a screen somewhere. Other problem is I'm looking straight at the middle of the main monitor, so the other one is off to the left. Probably should centralise more if the mixer is on the left screen, but the monitors are different sizes and resolutions so that's also a bit of a pain.
I'd highly recommend dropping the couple hundred on the advanced remote control. If not that, then a level pilot or something similar. I got tired of mousing volume in totalmix almost immediately. I needed a physical knob for volume. Plus the ARC controls headphones volume as well. I don't use it for anything else like TalkBack or snapshots or anything fancier than just a volume knob. But anything is better than scooching an onscreen slider .5mm to make a volume adjustment!
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:04 pm
Armistice wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:22 pm OK - I'm going to try putting the mixer on a separate screen and see what happens.

I'd highly recommend dropping the couple hundred on the advanced remote control. If not that, then a level pilot or something similar. I got tired of mousing volume in totalmix almost immediately. I needed a physical knob for volume. Plus the ARC controls headphones volume as well. I don't use it for anything else like TalkBack or snapshots or anything fancier than just a volume knob. But anything is better than scooching an onscreen slider .5mm to make a volume adjustment!

I think I'll just get the headphone amp back out TBH... :wink: Question is where did I put it! :confused: I only took it out because I thought my life would be simpler, but no... :mad:
rayc

Post by rayc »

I bought a passive monitor knob thing. It has a couple of ins & outs which was handy when I was working W7 & W10 from different boxes. Now it's in a box as the SSL interface knob is pretty big & handy.
Cheers
rayc