Smashing D and G strings.

New Guitar Day? Obsessed with tone? 10 on the volume dial not enough? Celestion vs. Electrovoice? Cum in, feel the noize.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Smashing D and G strings.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

I've been tasked with sorting out a problem on my brother's Epiphone Les Paul from across the country.

Now that he is back among all our friends who never left home and has his amp back he is jamming regularly again. He's Les Paul sat in the case for almost 8 years while he was dadding.

He called me Friday night really exhausted with his guitar. He says his guitar is chewing thru strings badly. He's breaking one to two strings per jam!!!! Always the d and the g. The breaks are happening at the bridge.

My gut is telling me he may need to smooth out his saddles on the tune o matic. There is probabaly some sharp pinch points on there where it has sat unplayed under tension for 8 or so years. The hardware is the gold hardware so going at it with file may put him off but it is what it is. That is all I know. He is supposed to send over some pictures of the bridge next time he goes to his jamspace.

Other bandaid fixes I can think of is trying different picks, getting some lube of some sort onto his saddles and bridge and see what that does first.

Any other suggestions?

Throwing out the batsignal to @muttley
:happytrees:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Smashing D and G strings.

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Another thought is maybe the angle from over the saddles to the tailpiece might be too much / too little???
muttley

Post by muttley »

If they are breaking at the bridge or the tailpiece then you are correct you need to look at that first. The angle over the saddle is irrelevant, the string needs to pass over the bridge smoothly. There is no extra tension in the string if you increase the break angle.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

muttley wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:44 pm If they are breaking at the bridge or the tailpiece then you are correct you need to look at that first. The angle over the saddle is irrelevant, the string needs to pass over the bridge smoothly. There is no extra tension in the string if you increase the break angle.
Ok cool thanks mutt. We shall do an inspection and see what see.

I'm guessing the gold hardware is just a plating so if we have to smooth over those saddles it will come with a sacrifice of asthetics correct?!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Yeah smooth the saddles. Pretty common problem with tune-o-matic bridges.
Rebel Yell
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Check he's using a sensible gauge as well and he's not windmilling 7s or anything like that. And as any filing off of the goldness will be covered by the string, it should be invisible.
muttley

Post by muttley »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:38 pm
muttley wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:44 pm If they are breaking at the bridge or the tailpiece then you are correct you need to look at that first. The angle over the saddle is irrelevant, the string needs to pass over the bridge smoothly. There is no extra tension in the string if you increase the break angle.
Ok cool thanks mutt. We shall do an inspection and see what see.

I'm guessing the gold hardware is just a plating so if we have to smooth over those saddles it will come with a sacrifice of asthetics correct?!
The gold on those things wears pretty quick or starts to pit. Very often it is actually the plating that can be a problem. Under gold plate you have a fairly heavy nickel plate and that can separate from the casting and crack. You can use a small round rat tail file to smooth out the groove but dont go too made as you cant put it back once you remove it.