Plexi please.....

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Plexi please.....

Post by Greg_L »

My first foray into making a video with cuts and parts. Lol. Fuck this...

Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Nice. I always enjoyed video editing more than audio editing. Audio editing feels like a chore. Video feels like assembling a puzzle. Conversely, I’ve always enjoyed recording audio more than recording video. Recording video feels like a chore and diminishes the memory of what I’m capturing. Recording audio is just fun.
“Naaaaaaaaaah man. I ain’t touching that mic. That thing’s expensive!”
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:58 pm My first foray into making a video with cuts and parts. Lol. Fuck this...

Really interesting... especially with the turrets - one of those things I've seen but never noticed and had no idea how it was done. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:35 pm Nice. I always enjoyed video editing more than audio editing. Audio editing feels like a chore. Video feels like assembling a puzzle. Conversely, I’ve always enjoyed recording audio more than recording video. Recording video feels like a chore and diminishes the memory of what I’m capturing. Recording audio is just fun.
As you can tell, I know exactly jack shit about video. This video I just made is the best one I've ever done and it looks like it came from 2002 maybe. It's shit. People way dumber than me can make videos way better than me, but I don't care. I'm not a video guy building an amp. I'm an amp builder just shooting a video.
Armistice wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:37 pm
Really interesting... especially with the turrets - one of those things I've seen but never noticed and had no idea how it was done. :like:
My way is just one of many ways to do it. Some people use a drill press instead of the Neanderthal-with-a-hammer method. Or you can just buy a pre-made board with turrets installed. I like my way though. I like the thinking and trouble shooting and making it work.
Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

I loved everything about it!

I'm not sure if it's the camera's resolution or the video editor's settings, but it came out in the old 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the more modern 16:9. That stuff can get frustrating to deal with, but I think it's a setting in the camera/phone somewhere. Phones can get weird about that stuff since they want to do everything automatically unless you really give them a stern talking-to :D

This was awesome though, I really liked seeing the walkthrough and the process of getting the turrets on the board. Same as Armi, I had no idea how it was done. That's going to be one mean machine when it's done!
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:57 pm
CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:35 pm Nice. I always enjoyed video editing more than audio editing. Audio editing feels like a chore. Video feels like assembling a puzzle. Conversely, I’ve always enjoyed recording audio more than recording video. Recording video feels like a chore and diminishes the memory of what I’m capturing. Recording audio is just fun.
As you can tell, I know exactly jack shit about video. This video I just made is the best one I've ever done and it looks like it came from 2002 maybe. It's shit. People way dumber than me can make videos way better than me, but I don't care. I'm not a video guy building an amp. I'm an amp builder just shooting a video.
As it is with audio, what matter most is the initial recording. There’s only so much you can do in post.

Camera doesn’t matter much these days—just like interfaces and mics. All of them are good enough to make great video—unless you’re going for something big like a movie that hits theaters.

Your video is fine. Any recommendations I make would involve a lot more work in the recording process for only a little gain.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:15 pm
As it is with audio, what matter most is the initial recording. There’s only so much you can do in post.

Camera doesn’t matter much these days—just like interfaces and mics. All of them are good enough to make great video—unless you’re going for something big like a movie that hits theaters.

Your video is fine. Any recommendations I make would involve a lot more work in the recording process for only a little gain.
Definitely agree. And really most of video is just lighting things well enough for people to see what's going on. Greg's lighting is excellent in this video and it makes everything clear as day.
rayc

Post by rayc »

Will you add a dab of solder to the "ground" star so that the nut won't work loose?
The video was great. Steady camera, steady hands, steady lighting and you knew what you were up to so the ums n ahs were minimal if there at all.
Well done. I enjoyed it.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:02 pm I loved everything about it!

I'm not sure if it's the camera's resolution or the video editor's settings, but it came out in the old 4:3 aspect ratio instead of the more modern 16:9. That stuff can get frustrating to deal with, but I think it's a setting in the camera/phone somewhere. Phones can get weird about that stuff since they want to do everything automatically unless you really give them a stern talking-to :D

This was awesome though, I really liked seeing the walkthrough and the process of getting the turrets on the board. Same as Armi, I had no idea how it was done. That's going to be one mean machine when it's done!
Thanks yeah I really have no idea what aspect ratios even are but since reading your post I found a setting on my phone and I changed it to 16:9 so maybe the next vid will be better. :confused:

I'm honestly just amazed I even pulled it off. :facepalm:
rayc wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:11 pm Will you add a dab of solder to the "ground" star so that the nut won't work loose?
The video was great. Steady camera, steady hands, steady lighting and you knew what you were up to so the ums n ahs were minimal if there at all.
Well done. I enjoyed it.
Ha thanks the next one might be a little better. Maybe.

I won't need to add any solder to the star ground. I've got loc-tite on it and it's got toothed solder lugs. It's secure. In fact every single nut and bolt on this thing has lock washers, lock nuts, or loc-tite, or all three. The amp may fail but it won't be because something came loose.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 8:41 pm
Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:02 pm I loved everything about it!

Thanks yeah I really have no idea what aspect ratios even are but since reading your post I found a setting on my phone and I changed it to 16:9 so maybe the next vid will be better. :confused:

I'm honestly just amazed I even pulled it off. :facepalm
Interesting that your phone gives you the option for aspect ratios. If you can, always record the phone horizontally. When people submit amazing video and it’s the standard vertical phone video, it means we have to edit it by adding a second copy of the video and placing it behind the main one. Then we blow it up so it fills the whole screen, and blur the background copy of the video. Just so that there’s no black on the screen. Does that make sense?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:42 pm

Interesting that your phone gives you the option for aspect ratios. If you can, always record the phone horizontally. When people submit amazing video and it’s the standard vertical phone video, it means we have to edit it by adding a second copy of the video and placing it behind the main one. Then we blow it up so it fills the whole screen, and blur the background copy of the video. Just so that there’s no black on the screen. Does that make sense?
Yeah I do record horizontally. I truly don't know anything about digital video though. I'm about 25 years behind the curve.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:42 am Yeah I do record horizontally. I truly don't know anything about digital video though. I'm about 25 years behind the curve.
You may be BUT the video is as good as it needs to be and WAY better than more than half the stuff on Utub.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:12 am
You may be BUT the video is as good as it needs to be and WAY better than more than half the stuff on Utub.
I tell you though while 99% of youtube is useless crap there are some skilled video makers on there. I can't even imagine the level of effort that must go into making something that doesn't look like some shithead recording with a phone he doesn't know how to use.
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

That's actually a pretty good video, Greg. Its not overly waffly or anything. Building a turret board actually looks pretty satisfying. I like the idea of just tracing your board out on a bit of paper and then re-drawing your schematic in the actual work space - I don't know if that's the standard thing that people do, but it suddenly makes this shit look achievable. If you did one of these step by step from the start it would be a brilliant amp building video. You're actually giving practical tips to make your life easy when you build an amp.

Would probably be easier if you had two cameras - 1 facing directly down over your work space (but displayed on a monitor so you can see what its looking at) and then just your phone pointing at your face. I'm sure Tad could give you heaps of tips.

You should build me a 3 channel amp. Fender deluxe clean, JTM45 crunch, and Duel Rec high gain with an FX loop, switchable between 1W, 5W and 20W. Then film that.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:44 pm That's actually a pretty good video, Greg. Its not overly waffly or anything. Building a turret board actually looks pretty satisfying. I like the idea of just tracing your board out on a bit of paper and then re-drawing your schematic in the actual work space - I don't know if that's the standard thing that people do, but it suddenly makes this shit look achievable. If you did one of these step by step from the start it would be a brilliant amp building video. You're actually giving practical tips to make your life easy when you build an amp.

Would probably be easier if you had two cameras - 1 facing directly down over your work space (but displayed on a monitor so you can see what its looking at) and then just your phone pointing at your face. I'm sure Tad could give you heaps of tips.

You should build me a 3 channel amp. Fender deluxe clean, JTM45 crunch, and Duel Rec high gain with an FX loop, switchable between 1W, 5W and 20W. Then film that.
Lol no but thanks anyway.

I don't know how real pro amp designers design their boards. I assume it involves computers and drafting software and things that I can't even think of. But for a simpleton like me it doesn't get any simpler than just tracing what I have to work with onto some paper and figuring it out from there. I came up with that method while doing the Tender Assman. There was no commercially available board for a 6G6B circuit and the board I had was a generic blank. My task was to adapt the original Fender layout, which was done on fiberboard, to my turret board style board. I need to do some mockups. Instead of wasting turrets and components on failed attempts I decided to just draw it to scale. It worked out great so now that's how I do it every time. This Plexi board took five drawings to land on the one that will work.

I don't think I'm the guy to be "teaching" any of this stuff. I can only show how I do things. If anyone learns from me, that's cool, but I'm self taught so I'm sure there is always a better way. And I'm cool with making shitty little videos to share with you guys but I am not jumping down the video/youtube rabbit hole. Absolutely not.
Rebel Yell
CrowsofFritz

Post by CrowsofFritz »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:17 pm
JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:44 pm That's actually a pretty good video, Greg. Its not overly waffly or anything. Building a turret board actually looks pretty satisfying. I like the idea of just tracing your board out on a bit of paper and then re-drawing your schematic in the actual work space - I don't know if that's the standard thing that people do, but it suddenly makes this shit look achievable. If you did one of these step by step from the start it would be a brilliant amp building video. You're actually giving practical tips to make your life easy when you build an amp.

I don't know how real pro amp designers design their boards. I assume it involves computers and drafting software and things that I can't even think of. But for a simpleton like me it doesn't get any simpler than just tracing what I have to work with onto some paper and figuring it out from there. I came up with that method while doing the Tender Assman. There was no commercially available board for a 6G6B circuit and the board I had was a generic blank. My task was to adapt the original Fender layout, which was done on fiberboard, to my turret board style board. I need to do some mockups. Instead of wasting turrets and components on failed attempts I decided to just draw it to scale. It worked out great so now that's how I do it every time. This Plexi board took five drawings to land on the one that will work.

I don't think I'm the guy to be "teaching" any of this stuff. I can only show how I do things. If anyone learns from me, that's cool, but I'm self taught so I'm sure there is always a better way. And I'm cool with making shitty little videos to share with you guys but I am not jumping down the video/youtube rabbit hole. Absolutely not.
You mean you don’t want to buy more expensive cameras? Invest in better lighting, develop better storyboarding and editing skills, and shout “IF YOU LIKE WHAT MY VIDEOS, DON’T FORGET TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON AND GIVE ME A SUB” at the beginning and end of every vid while we see your eyes are just a hollow husk of their former self?
JD01

Post by JD01 »

You are really good at explaining shit to people.

I don't think it matters that you're not designing an amp in a computer simulation to be sent into space. You've got your technique and you can prove it sounds good at the end.
JD01

Post by JD01 »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:07 pm

You mean you don’t want to buy more expensive cameras? Invest in better lighting, develop better storyboarding and editing skills, and shout “IF YOU LIKE WHAT MY VIDEOS, DON’T FORGET TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON AND GIVE ME A SUB” at the beginning and end of every vid while we see your eyes are just a hollow husk of their former self?
:lollers2: that's exactly what we want him to do. He'll be shilling for bollock shavers and mobile games by Christmas
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

I haven't watched it yetr 'cause I'm stupid busy with Biketoberfest and a New Orleans trip immediately after but I feel pretty sure the really good boutique buildersdo it much like you because simply designing a circuit doesn't get you there ...... you have to discover that a particular wire can't go there because it's noisier for example.

I'm sure the vid is great since basically most things you do are top rate .... you're too self-deprecating ..... you're awesome .... OWN IT!!

lol

:not worthy:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

CrowsofFritz wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:07 pm

Yeah I'm a hard no on all that. I literally just figured out what an aspect ratio is and how to stick different video clips together into one. I'm pretty confident I can do audio and make a mix as good or better than anyone else. But video? I've peaked already.
JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:08 pm You are really good at explaining shit to people.

I don't think it matters that you're not designing an amp in a computer simulation to be sent into space. You've got your technique and you can prove it sounds good at the end.
That much is true. The builds I have done are rock solid and sound great. I aint even gonna fake any modesty on those. They are bad ass. :punk:

Now watch this one turn my home into a smoldering crater of failure. :facepalm:
Lt. Bob wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:16 pm
I haven't watched it yetr 'cause I'm stupid busy with Biketoberfest and a New Orleans trip immediately after but I feel pretty sure the really good boutique buildersdo it much like you because simply designing a circuit doesn't get you there ...... you have to discover that a particular wire can't go there because it's noisier for example.

I'm sure the vid is great since basically most things you do are top rate .... you're too self-deprecating ..... you're awesome .... OWN IT!!

lol

:not worthy:
Lol thanks Boob. Good luck with all your gigs and family stuff. :illdrinktothat:
Rebel Yell