Plexi please.....

DIY Studio Stuff
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Re: Plexi please.....

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Dang. I liked the walk thru. That was pretty cool.

The turret board portion was cool. One of those things i take for granted. Just one extra level of home made DIY ness that does it for me. Who am i kidding the whole amp building and circuit stuff i take for granted. Witchcraft. All of it.

this is quite the build.

Do you share all this on other more pointed BBS forums or anything like amp building stuff or electronics. Would you be impressing them as much you are us?
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:54 pm Dang. I liked the walk thru. That was pretty cool.

The turret board portion was cool. One of those things i take for granted. Just one extra level of home made DIY ness that does it for me. Who am i kidding the whole amp building and circuit stuff i take for granted. Witchcraft. All of it.

this is quite the build.

Do you share all this on other more pointed BBS forums or anything like amp building stuff or electronics. Would you be impressing them as much you are us?
No yall are the only ones that see it. And other amp builders might like what I do, but actual electrical engineers laugh at this stuff. This shit is primitive to them, and they're right, it is primitive. Nothing uses tubes anymore. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

JD01 wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 3:08 pm You are really good at explaining shit to people.

I don't think it matters that you're not designing an amp in a computer simulation to be sent into space. You've got your technique and you can prove it sounds good at the end.
Yeah, it's no surprise the squids have become teachers.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Part 2 video. More board stuff. Maybe a slightly better video quality. Still shit content. :lollers2:

Rebel Yell
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

Definitely no shit content, I watched with rapt attention! When you paused saying "and there'll be a wire here going to um..." I actually said out loud "pin 3!" :D

I legit enjoyed this, you could rattle on about amp schematics all day and I'd watch.

I'd love to know more about translating a schematic into the actual board layout. For whatever reason, schematics are still greek to me. I can kinda sorta follow it, but there's no way I could make a board like that from a schematic.

Well done, man!
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Tadpui wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 6:42 pm Definitely no shit content, I watched with rapt attention! When you paused saying "and there'll be a wire here going to um..." I actually said out loud "pin 3!" :D

I legit enjoyed this, you could rattle on about amp schematics all day and I'd watch.

I'd love to know more about translating a schematic into the actual board layout. For whatever reason, schematics are still greek to me. I can kinda sorta follow it, but there's no way I could make a board like that from a schematic.

Well done, man!
Thanks Tad.

Well to be honest I didn't invent this layout. The amps have existed for decades. What I had to do was take the schematic and compare it to already built amps and adapt the signal flow to my own board using existing amps as a reference. I could just look at a schematic and devise a board layout but these have already been done so I had reference material. The main difference is that the original Marshall boards were much larger and also they used multiple boards. My challenge was adapting the whole thing to fit onto my one single generic board.

Anyway, since I'm a master video maker now (LOL) maybe I'll try to do a rudimentary beginner's tutorial on translating a schematic to real world applications. It is a learning process.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Last night was Uncle Doug's latest & this morning Greg's Part II.
Excellent.
VERY different approaches & styles but both well worth viewing.
Entertaining AND the W.H.S. message slipped in nicely.
Last night Uncle Doug chided folk for asking for parts lists & layout diagrams but I think he assumes his views have been with him all along & have learnt stuff...not me though.
Tad's request is a good one. Not one I'm likely to use but def. one I'd watch.
Excellent.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice work on Vid 2.

I'm sort of almost used to the "sodder" thing by now - the other word that I wasn't expecting different pronunciation on was chassis - "chassy" which in my world is pronounced "shassy".

I was wondering at the very end there with the small yellow wire going to pin 8 why you didn't strip the other end while it was a free agent and not soldered in - seemed like, not knowing anything about this, stripping the wire whilst attached might risk the integrity of that solder join?

Then I thought about it and came up with...

(a) if you did that, and there are quite a few wires to do before you do the final connection, then all those stipped wire ends are going to bang up against stuff and fray and possibly bend and strands might snap off - bad

(b) because it'll take some time there'd be some oxidation of the copper whilst you're working on other things and you probably want it as fresh as possible - perhaps not as bad as I think

(c) you've got a really good wire stripper tool and a method of doing it without pulling on the soldered join.

Or possibly all 3?
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:21 pm Last night was Uncle Doug's latest & this morning Greg's Part II.
Excellent.
VERY different approaches & styles but both well worth viewing.
Entertaining AND the W.H.S. message slipped in nicely.
Last night Uncle Doug chided folk for asking for parts lists & layout diagrams but I think he assumes his views have been with him all along & have learnt stuff...not me though.
Tad's request is a good one. Not one I'm likely to use but def. one I'd watch.
Excellent.
Thanks. I don't know what "WHS message" is? :confused: :confused:

I haven't watched Uncle Doug's vid yet. I'm behind. But he was pretty instrumental to getting me learning this stuff.
Armistice wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:22 pm Nice work on Vid 2.

I'm sort of almost used to the "sodder" thing by now - the other word that I wasn't expecting different pronunciation on was chassis - "chassy" which in my world is pronounced "shassy".
I know. There's a guy from Australia I like to watch. Really good Marshall tech in particular. He says "shazzy" for chassis and it's pretty funny but obviously I'm aware of the different ways we say stuff. That doesn't bug me as much as American people calling tubes "valves". That is a pet peeve.
I was wondering at the very end there with the small yellow wire going to pin 8 why you didn't strip the other end while it was a free agent and not soldered in - seemed like, not knowing anything about this, stripping the wire whilst attached might risk the integrity of that solder join?

Then I thought about it and came up with...

(a) if you did that, and there are quite a few wires to do before you do the final connection, then all those stipped wire ends are going to bang up against stuff and fray and possibly bend and strands might snap off - bad

(b) because it'll take some time there'd be some oxidation of the copper whilst you're working on other things and you probably want it as fresh as possible - perhaps not as bad as I think

(c) you've got a really good wire stripper tool and a method of doing it without pulling on the soldered join.

Or possibly all 3?
You're close with "C", that is part of it. I can strip the loose end of the wires without the soldered end even knowing what's going on.

I leave the tube socket end of the wires unstripped because they will still need to be trimmed for their final routing. I leave everything a little long knowing that I will snip a little off and then strip it when I've determined the placement. And the 270 degree wrap I mentioned in the video around the turret is military spec. The wire going through the little holes in the board offers a bit of strain relief and the wire end itself is wrapped military spec and then soldered. It's not coming undone no matter how aggressively I strip the other end.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Oh, also, forgot to mention...the connection wire I use is pre-tinned. All that blue, green, yellow, red wire....all pre-tinned 22 gauge 105C deg PVC insulated hookup wire. Pro stuff, and quite similar to what you'd actually find in a vintage Marshall. I can strip it and it's ready to go. With normal stranded wire, you strip it and it's bare strands of wire that can fray all over the place. You'd have to twist it and tin it yourself. Not a big deal, but my pre-tinned stuff keeps me from having to do that step, and it might not seem like much but twisting the ends of hundreds of wires for hours and hours is not fun for the finger tips.

But I still prefer the cloth pushback solid core Fender style wire.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Work Health & Safety - the fan.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:34 pm Work Health & Safety - the fan.
:lollers2: :lollers2: :coolstorybro:

Yeah that. Solder fumes will get to you if you don't ventilate.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:21 pm
I finally watched it this morning. You're right he does chastise a little bit. His sentiment is not wrong - do the work for yourself. But he is wrong in a way because no one is born knowing this shit, and he's an old man that has been at this for decades. He's probably forgotten more stuff than most people will ever know. I think he's lost a little perspective on how foreign this stuff is when you know nothing about it. A Princeton circuit is very basic indeed but to someone that knows nothing it might as well be astrophysics. But he is right...it's not his job to provide parts lists and paint-by-numbers layouts. He's wrong about layouts though and I've seen him use them many times. If Fender themselves went through the trouble of creating official drawn layouts for their own amps then who is he to say that no one should use them? That's like eating with your hands because using a spoon is cheating. That's dumb and he's wrong on that part. Comparing a layout to a schematic is a great way to learn how to read both.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Another....

Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Nice one, Greg. Get yourself a little phone grabber stand thing! So you can just position it over the "chassy" while you sodder away.
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

It's coming together nicely! When you held up the medusa looking board at first I had some doubts that it could turn out so tidy looking. It looks great man, and fingers crossed for the introduction of voltage to it!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Tidy and organised and all that good stuff visually & functionally speaking.
Well done. Enjoyed it.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

Nice work. Looking forward to the voltage application bit...

flines-electric-shock.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:39 pm
rayc wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:34 pm Work Health & Safety - the fan.
:lollers2: :lollers2: :coolstorybro:

Yeah that. Solder fumes will get to you if you don't ventilate.
I finally experienced this a couple weeks ago trying to fix up a strat for our buddy Mr.Smith.

Had a mega ripping headache the entire next day. I'll have to have a small fan blowing downwind if I ever do that again.
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:32 am Another....

Ok this was awesome. Man that is a work of art. I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass. But that just loooooks good.

That crosstalk thing you mentioned. Is that something you mitigated and dreamt up or it that a fairly common thing people take a little extra attention. Too. That's cool.

I was going to just reply with a wisecrack about knowing a licorice rope when I see one but I genuinely was gobsmacked but the final-ish walk thru. Good stuff buddy.