Plexi please.....

DIY Studio Stuff
Greg_L

Re: Plexi please.....

Post by Greg_L »

JD01 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 4:47 am Nice one, Greg. Get yourself a little phone grabber stand thing! So you can just position it over the "chassy" while you sodder away.
Thanks. My little mini handheld tripod has an attachment that can attach to a mic stand, and I thought about maybe rigging it up like that but that's a level of effort that goes above and beyond the already extra level of effort it takes to build an amp. :crazy:
Tadpui wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:21 pm It's coming together nicely! When you held up the medusa looking board at first I had some doubts that it could turn out so tidy looking. It looks great man, and fingers crossed for the introduction of voltage to it!
Thanks, no lie the medusa aspect is a little daunting at first. I remember on my first build thinking "there's no way I can make sense of all this". There are wires everywhere. But with study and experience it's gotten way easier - especially if you can mentally compartmentalize each little section of the board by it's purpose. Like I mentioned in video two the board is just a bunch of stuff but it can be broken down into little sections. And also like I mentioned as you start attaching wires you're left with fewer unattached wires so it gets easier and easier. Just go one at a time in some kind of logical order and it's not a big deal. Put on some background music and just get after it. :stirthepot:
rayc wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:57 pm Tidy and organised and all that good stuff visually & functionally speaking.
Well done. Enjoyed it.
Thanks, so far so good. :coolstorybro:
Armistice wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:07 pm Nice work. Looking forward to the voltage application bit...
Thanks that's coming up next. Got a fire extinguisher handy. :crazy:
WhiskeyJack wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:58 pm
Ok this was awesome. Man that is a work of art. I'm not just blowing smoke up your ass. But that just loooooks good.

That crosstalk thing you mentioned. Is that something you mitigated and dreamt up or it that a fairly common thing people take a little extra attention. Too. That's cool.

I was going to just reply with a wisecrack about knowing a licorice rope when I see one but I genuinely was gobsmacked but the final-ish walk thru. Good stuff buddy.
Thanks man. The crosstalk thing is a very real problem in any kind of amp. Usually what happens is you'll hear a very faint version of your signal passing through the amp even with the volumes all the way down. Really common on old amps with old parts and old boards. That kind of crosstalk is really not that big of a deal but obviously you don't want any "unregulated" signals flying around throughout an amp. The more detrimental kind of signal/voltage bleeding causes things like hum and oscillation. Hum is annoying and never sounds good. Oscillation can and will actually kill tubes. Oscillation is usually inaudible feral unwanted frequencies crashing through a tube that drive it insane. At worst the affected tubes can overheat and red-plate and just say fuck this I'm outta here. At best even a small amount of oscillation will add unwanted distortion and ugly artifacts to your signal. So you wanna do what you can to keep that from happening.

If yall haven't noticed, I've used exactly zero shielded cable in this amp. Normally I'm a big fan of shielded cable at least for the inputs to the first tube stage. Those wires are easily interfered with by literally anything - chinese radio stations, fluorescent lights, WIFI, cellphones, anything. But I'm not using it. The original Marshalls that this thing is copycatting had no shielded wire anywhere so neither will mine. Granted, they didn't have to deal with the technological nightmare that our current airwaves carry, but I'm trying it anyway. If it did it right it should be okay. :coolstorybro:
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

It's alive.

Here's a walkthrough of my process of bringing these things to life safely - for me and the amp. We've got a little bit of rudimentary schematic reading at the beginning and then some testing.

Rebel Yell
einstein magoo

Post by einstein magoo »

EXCELLENT!
rayc

Post by rayc »

Step by step, safe n sure. A class class in patience and care.
Cheers
rayc
Armistice

Post by Armistice »

You'll be pleased to know that the voltage in Antarctica is pretty much the same as the US, so when you go there on a late life sabbatical to play with seals you can take it with you...

That was really interesting - I was googling stuff I didn't understand while the video was going along - so I now know what a rectifier diode does, for instance - I'd never really considered how AC became DC - I knew that it did, just not how/where. Now I know! Thanks for that... Caps and resistors I was already OK with, but diodes, not so much.

Only about half way through - will get back to it later, but very interesting. :like:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

That last video is long and tedious just like actually doing it in real life.
Rebel Yell
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Setting bias, just about ready to make a racket.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Maths in real life situations!
Again clear, concise & you didn't edit out the mistake. PLUS, by doing so you reinforced checking & rechecking.
GOOOOOD stuff.
I look forward to hearing.
Last edited by rayc on Wed Oct 25, 2023 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers
rayc
Tadpui

Post by Tadpui »

UNCLE GREG! hehe, seriously though, this has been a very enjoyable series. Looking forward to hearing this thing roar.
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

rayc wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:24 pm Maths in real life situations!
Again clear, concise & you didn't edit out the mistake. PLUS, by doing so you reinforced checking & rechecking.
GOOOOOD stuff.
I look forward to hearing.
Thanks, yup the mistake. A clerical error. I crisscrossed my readings with the half of the OT they're supposed to go with. Thankfully I have just enough experience to realize that those calculations couldn't have been correct and I noticed my error pretty quick. :facepalm:
Tadpui wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:08 pm UNCLE GREG! hehe, seriously though, this has been a very enjoyable series. Looking forward to hearing this thing roar.

Ha thanks clearly my on-camera and video skills are nowhere near what you do, but I'm just trying to give a peek into what's involved. Yall are the only ones that see this mess. :lollers2:
Rebel Yell
JD01

Post by JD01 »

Greg_L wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:35 am Yall are the only ones that see this mess. :lollers2:
I posted it on my Twitch and Bebo channels. You're a massive hit in China and Laos 🇱🇦
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lol they can't understand my english.

Anywayzzzz.....some troubleshooting....

Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

Simple solution.
Everything remains tidy.
Cheers
rayc
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

So....this amp is done and I've already done two practices and a gig with it and it's fucking incredible lol. Very stable, no problems.

I've been working on some fine tuning and some rudimentary video skills. I'll make a overview/tones video soon.
Rebel Yell
rayc

Post by rayc »

LOOKING forward to it.
Cheers
rayc
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

:like:
WhiskeyJack
Site Admin

Post by WhiskeyJack »

Greg_L wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 4:54 pm So....this amp is done and I've already done two practices and a gig with it and it's fucking incredible lol. Very stable, no problems.

I've been working on some fine tuning and some rudimentary video skills. I'll make a overview/tones video soon.
You say this as though you had some kind of a doubt it might not work.

Also I am just going to watch all the videos I have missed in the last couple weeks.
:happytrees:
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

WhiskeyJack wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:01 pm You say this as though you had some kind of a doubt it might not work.

Also I am just going to watch all the videos I have missed in the last couple weeks.
You never know. I always think it will work but sometimes you don't know what you don't know. I'm teaching myself. :confused:

That Weber JCM800 I built for my buddy is having a problem. I haven't got my hands back on it yet to determine if it's my fault or a part failure. :spacepalm:
Rebel Yell
Lt. Bob

Post by Lt. Bob »

my gerg stuff seems to be rock solid .... but if I ever have a problem I understand their customer support is second to none unless they're fishing
Greg_L

Post by Greg_L »

Lt. Bob wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:59 pm my gerg stuff seems to be rock solid .... but if I ever have a problem I understand their customer support is second to none unless they're fishing
Lol so far everything I've built or repaired is doing well. I've had no "comebacks". And some of that Weber stuff is iffy but we used it anyway on this guy's 800 so I'm thinking it's probably a part issue. Also that amp has been working fine and getting lots of use. I think if it's something I did incorrectly it would have shown itself by now. But we'll see. If it's my fault I'll obviously fix it.

My own amps are working hard and working perfectly.
Rebel Yell