And now for something completely different...

The Rebels Drive-In Movie theater. A forum to share your videos, and also a place to get help with making videos from our upstanding rebel experts.
Armistice

And now for something completely different...

Post by Armistice »

Because I'm going to spend a couple of days at a mate's place in a couple of weeks, and there'll be lots of guitar strumming - mainly acoustic - I thought I'd better get some practice in to build up some skin on the fingytips - I haven't really touched an acoustic for a year or so and I haven't really been playing guitar much either lately.

So I grabbed one and quickly found myself wanting to relearn a couple of alternative tuning things I used to be pretty good at - one an obscure Jethro Tull track called Salamander - for which I am the source of the only known tablature on teh interwebz, which is in DADGAD, and then one of my tunes from the third Armistice album called In A Heartbeat in DADF#AD.

Whoops... couldn't remember how to play it, could I? :eep:

Then I discovered that apparently I didn't have any audio files, apart from on the CD itself - so I dug around the archives and found a backup CD from AW4416 machine it was recorded. Only problem... proprietary format. :frown: Then I remembered that I had a very basic extraction program somewhere on some machine that would strip the wav files out for the individual tracks. So I hunted that down - it was on the laptop - but the laptop doesn't have a CD drive, so I put it on the studio PC which does, extracted them all, isolated an acoustic guitar and sat down and relearnt, eventually, the piece in its entirey.

Now having all the raw materials I thought I probably should do a bit of a remix - the recording has to be 20 years old - and OMG don't the 16 bit Alesis drum machin drums sound like it... :lollers:

So I did what I could with the source material being what it was, without spending days on it - and then I thought, well how do I remember how to play it NEXT time????? I know, I'll do a video of me playing it, so it's a bit simpler next time - easier than transcribing it in some form which would probably take me hours, so I set up a chair outside the studio door and played along to the remix. And then I thought I'd shove it up here - just in case anyone is alternative-tunings-curious, and because why the hell not? :like:

rayc

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by rayc »

Nice one.
Now you need to create a Vimeo account in case Utub folds!
Cheers
rayc